Renting a plane in Alaska--any pilots know where?

EmmaJean

My husband is a private pilot and is wodering if anyone knows where we might be able to rent a plane in Juneau or at another stop during our cruise?Of course, he wants to pilot the plane himself.

Do you know where we could rent one? We aren't having any luck on our internet search.

Thanks.

There are several places in Anchorage. However, unless he can prove fairly substantial mountain flying experience, the check flights they'll require prior to letting me leave solo will probably make it impractical. If he doesn't mind flying from the right seat, though (not nearly as much fun, I know), many of the independent charter operator/owners will oblige.

Murray

Few places (not only Alaska!) will let you rent without any check flight at all. One way to fly in AK would be to arrange (well ahead of time) to get a couple of hours with a CFI. That way it's left seat and it probably doesn't cost a whole lot more than a charter would. The time could be real mountain flying instruction, or just flightseeing for the fun of it.

You might find out more by getting on either the AOPA or Pilots of America web boards.

- Richard

The AOPA aviation forums have a forum devoted to Alaska flying. There are several threads going on exactly this subject, so I strongly suggest you look & ask there. After a few minutes looking, I found these 3 recommended: Aero Tech (darmstrong@acehangars.com) and Take Flight in Anchorage (Merrill Field), Warbelows in Fairbanks. From the AOPA airport directory, I find that Coastal Fuel, Inc. (907/789-5622) rents in Juneau. I haven't looked for the other cruise ports. Expect to pay $100/hr for a C-152 (maybe more, with fuel prices on the rise) in AK.

We had planned a self-fly trip to AK the year that DW became paraplegic. That was really going to be something. Dang.

- Richard

Archived