Time Question

denee

Hi all. I have a question about the time factor. What time does the ship use? Does it go by the port of departure? So when considering excursions do you have to figure that out? We will be on the Conquest out of Galveston which is now Central Daylight Time. So in looking at excursions through private companies I assume they use Grand Caymen time which appears to be the same as CDT. Help!!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no absolute rule. Most ships maintain ship time the same as their home port. A few ships, from what I gather by reading here, apparently change the clock to match the port of the day!?

During the summerish months when most of the United States is on Daylight Savings Time, Cayman Time is the same as CDT.

For your ship, it really wouldn't matter. Your ship's time will presuamably match Cayman time, at least while you are here in Cayman.

• 2 weeks later...

Our ship, Freedom of the Seas, will stay on Miami time throughout her cruise, which is Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard time. Therefore when the ship time reads 9 am, it will be 8 am on the island. Arrival / Departure times in our cruise booklet were ship time, not island time.

We were just on the Conquest last week. Montego & GC were same as ship time. Cozumel was on standard, so there was an hour difference between ship and coz time.

Where did you sail out of? We're leaving from Miami and have been told that all of our ports of call are going to be an hour behind ship time - when it's 10:00 ship time Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Grand Cayman will be 9:00. :confused:

I've checked online for world/country time's and that made sense and matched what I was told to expect, but from what you've described I'm getting the feeling that Cozumel would be 2 hours different from ship time -- does that make any sense to anyone or am I completely missing something here? :confused:

I thought I had all of my times and excursions planned correctly, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to be off by an hour when we arrive in the Mexican ports and show up an hour early or late for everything.:o

Thanks for your help.

Cozumel is presently on Central Standard time, whereas Miami is on Eastern Daylight Savings time, hence there is presently two hours difference. Cozumel switches to Central Daylight Savings time on April 1st, reducing the difference to one hour.

Archived