New question regarding Sea Grapes vs. Royal Palms

jenr

I know this is already a hot topic with lots of threads, but hey, here's another question. Does anyone know if you can move the chairs a little bit at either one of these beaches or do enforce keeping the loungers where they are. I don't mean moving them far away, but just far enough so we are not on top of our neighbor. I've seen pictures of both places and it looks like the chairs are on top of each other. Thanks for reading/responding to another SeaGrapes vs Royal Palms thread!!!

My wife, daughter andy myself rented the 3, 4 and 5 chairs from the aisle at the Royal Palms. We were in the first row. We also rented and umbrella that covers 2 chairs. Since they need shade and I want sun, I pulled my chair out in front and created some space. Later in the day the couple in the 1 and 2 chairs left. I immediately moved their chairs over to create even more space. Overall it wasn't bad.

I did walk over to the Marriott which is not far away. It was a lot less crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I was disappointed here. The beach is very narrow. We were there relatively early and rented 4 loungers which were very heavy and we had to drag them ourselves around everyone else who were already there to squeeze into an open spot only to have a lady come up to us and say we were too far. There were no umbrellas so my mother didn't last long and went up under a canopy with picnic tables at the bar area. The Banana Banshee frozen drink was excellent. Sea grape was just not what I was looking for.

Tricia

I just came back from Grand Cayman and my advice is to stay clear of Sea Grapes or Royal Palms if you want a nice peacefull day on the beach. We got a taxi to take us down the beach just past Sea Grapes and we walked along the beach till we saw a nice place to enter the water free of rocks. We did have to sit on our towels but most of the time we were in the water snorkeling around anyway. When we were hungry or thirsty we just took the 5 minute walk down the beach to the crowded Sea Grapes.

Thanks all for the info!!! Ducker, can you elaborate more on why you didnt like Sea Grapes or Royal Palms. Are they just too crowded, bad location, etc... Thanks so much for your input, we really are still undecided about our day in GC. We've been there twice already and really arent interested in a shore tour.

We were just in grand cayman on 3-27-07. We were on the disney magic and had an excursion booked with them to rum point beach. We were so excited to go there, but disney let us know the night before that the excursion was cancelled because of the high winds. I guess the ferry doesn't transport people there if the winds are high. We didn't know what else to do, since we didn't plan for anything else. We got a taxi and the driver told us that sea grapes was the best public beach to go to. When we got there it was very crowded near the bar/restaurant area. The chairs were packed so close together. I asked for a chair and had to pay $10.00 to rent it and a $10.00 deposit to bring it back. I had to drag it to the locatiion myself. So to answer your question, yes you can move the chairs down further away from the crowds, but you need to pay the deposit so you bring them back. We forgot to bring towels with us from the ship, so my husband asked them if they had beach towels available to purchase. They only had a tan bath towel, and said we could have it for $15.00. I couldn't believe that! $15.00 for an ugly bath towel. What made me even more upset was that my husband actually paid the $15.00 for it, since we did need a towel for all of us to dry off before we got in the cab to go back! Can you believe he bought that towel?

Anyways, we ended up under a canopy with picnic tables in it for shade. They did not have any umbrellas out because it was too windy. The sandy area around us was loaded with cigarette buts, and my son stepped on a used condom and its wrapper. We were totally grossed out by this point. The bathrooms were filthy, I would not let my 4 year old in them. We left early enough, so she did not need to use the facilites. There were plastic cups floating in the water too. I can't believe people would not throw their trash away!!! The water was beautiful. The color blue was amazing, and it was so clear!

I just wish we could have had a cleaner beach to enjoy the beautiful water. I guess that's what you get for a free public beach. We did hear that some cruise passengers spent the day at the westin and said it was beautiful. They must have snuck in, since we did call them and the ritz too. They both were not offering day passes, so we had to settle for sea grapes.

We spent the day at Royal Palms beach on March 29. It was a wonderful day! The beach was beautiful and clean. Yes, it was crowded, but we never felt like our personal space was invaded. Chair rental was $5. The bathroom facilities were clean. The bar/restaurant there was a bit expensive, but that is Grand Cayman. We had lunch there, and two fish sandwiches and 2 cokes set us back about $25 USD. I had a hard time deciding between Royal Palms and Sea Grapes and decided to go with the one that was closer to the ship. I would choose Royal Palms again with no hesitation.

Archived