Why do people complain so much?

moesyk4

I needed to copy my original quote for those posters for whom reading comprehension is not their forte. Notice the bolded text.

I'm pretty sure that those are accurate statistics, in fact, I've read that the average household income of mass market cruisers is between 50-60K, which would be middle to lower middle class.

Just to clarify again..........I NEVER GAVE an income amount........that quote was from Smartcookie........the 50,000 to 60,000 amount......not me.

Again I don't believe in artificial financial labels attached to people.

First of all, before I say anything else, I love these boards and the people on them. My last cruise was 1,000 times better than my first one just because of the advice from the people on these boards. Also, I am thankful that people do not sugarcoat their reviews. But lately this has been driving me crazy....

My example: this weekend my husband and I are going down to Indianapolis (about an hour away) for a quick overnight getaway from the bustle of life. We found a great deal on hotwire for a hotel for 65 dollars. Granted, we realize we won't be able to use the pool (it's outdoor in march) and because it's just a 2.5 star, it probably is showing some wear and tear, but we know it will be convenient to the city and it's gotten really good reviews. We are on a budget so we'll grab a bite to eat at the local Applebees (25 dollars) even though Applebees often has slow service. Their food is usually pretty good.

Then to save money and enjoy the view we just walk around the city partake in some of the free St. Patrick's day activities. We know we won't be able to do everything because some of it you have to pay for, but we'll have a good time with what we got.

We'll go out to eat at a nicer dinner place (60 dollars) and will really enjoy the food and the atmosphere, even though since it's a nicer dining place the courses are drawn out a little more. After dinner we hit up the local comedy club (28 dollars). they're no jerry seinfeld but put on a pretty funny show. Afterwards, we decide to end our night at a dance club. we have to pay a cover charge (16 dollars) and there's really not that many people there, but we have fun together.

Finally in the morning, we could go out to a nice place for breakfast, but since we decided to go on a budget, we eat the continental breakfast at the hotel. It is just fine for our needs.

Ok, sorry for that long story, but this is all to say our one night in March in Indianapolis on a budget in March (cold here in Indiana!) without gas, taxes, tips, etc. will cost us about $194.00 We have a great time because we know what we are paying for.

Granted, cruise lines do sell themselves as a luxury vacation, but why do people who are spending about $100/day and are getting so much more than we are getting in indy (warm weather, cool places to visit, gorgeous views, tons of free activities, unlimited food, you guys know the rest) expecting such perfection? If the La Quinta in Indy has trouble keeping up with 123 guest rooms that aren't always full, imagine a staff taking care of 3,000 people on a constantly moving ship, especially when the demands of many of the people are unrealistic.

Unless you choose to spend preemo dollars on the high end cruises, no you won't see jerry seinfeld or a professional broadway show on stage. Your room will not have every single last amenity you could possible ever want or dream of, the weather will not always be perfect (nor the staff), and the food may occasionally need a little salt. You will, however, get an amazing, memorable vacation. You may, on certain cruiselines, get an experience that is perfection or a waiter that absolutely bends over backwards for you, but take the time to relish that when it occurs and don't make that a new impossible standard.

Ok, I'm sure I will get attacked for this :), but I just hope people can really enjoy the fact that they have the money to go on any cruise and can offer good, objective advice and tips for all of us other fortunate people. Thanks for reading my tirade!

You sound like a smart cookie to me; and as you have hinted the old saying is "you get what you pay for" is true, now I do not take that in a negative context-I just know if I paid a bargain price I can't expecxt as much as if I have paid more-but I STILL get my money's worth!

Two posters here who were VERY negative-I noticed have not posted the last few days-I suspected they were actually one person-who claimed to cruise often-but never said anything good. It seems the last few days those posters have disapeered-my guess is this actually one person was banned by ISP number. This will improve these boards tremedously!

I'm pretty sure that those are accurate statistics, in fact, I've read that the average household income of mass market cruisers is between 50-60K, which would be middle to lower middle class.

Since I'm a single parent, I don't even make half that. I'm in the pauper class, which I don't care. I'm no less nor better than anyone else. I know that figure is for a 2 income household. I am thankful and grateful that I'm able to make ends meet and give my son his dream vacation next month. I'll do what I can for him. Granted, I'm in debt, but you live once. May be a bad thing to some people, but I want to do things with my son before he goes off to college next month.

Since I'm a single parent, I don't even make half that. I'm in the pauper class, which I don't care. I'm no less nor better than anyone else. I know that figure is for a 2 income household. I am thankful and grateful that I'm able to make ends meet and give my son his dream vacation next month. I'll do what I can for him. Granted, I'm in debt, but you live once. May be a bad thing to some people, but I want to do things with my son before he goes off to college next month.

I dont think it was meant as a slight on the cruisers with less income, it was just a statement as to the typical income of cruisers compared to say, ten years ago....

I think we could all agree that it is freaking AWESOME that more people can cruise now adays.... ESPECIALLY as a single income parent... good for you... :D ....

Heck, once I change careers from computer programming to teaching, I dont think I will be able to afford many vacations period, let alone cruising...*sniff*...

Great expectations lead to great dissapointments.......................:)

Sometimes what you expect.......isn't the way it turns out............

Go with the flow..........

I think isujim is onto something here -- your satisfaction with a cruise may not be so much to do with the actual high or low quality of things, but rather how they are in relation to what you expected.

Our first cruise was a 3-dayer with a lot of party people on a full ship, and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. We then decided to take a plunge on a 7-day Western Caribbean, and our TA asked a few questions about our preferences, and we ended up on that lovely old vessel the Noordam. Since we expected our earlier experience but just longer, we were totally overwhelmed with the experience on HAL (you may note a distinct preference in our follow-on cruises). Even though it was not perfect, it was much better than we expected, so we were thrilled. Reality far exceeded expectation.

Years later, we booked a cruise on Costa, which had an Italian hotel staff. Having lived in Italy for several years, we were really looking forward to some great Italian food and service. The reality was certainly not at all bad, objectively quite good in fact, but not the level of food and service of the quaint trattorias we had dined in ashore, so we were mildly disappointed. Reality did not meet our (probably unfairly) high expectation.

The key is to manage your expectations, and decide beforehand what is worth sweating the load about, and what is not, and then not letting the small stuff get to you.

First of all, before I say anything else, I love these boards and the people on them. My last cruise was 1,000 times better than my first one just because of the advice from the people on these boards. Also, I am thankful that people do not sugarcoat their reviews. But lately this has been driving me crazy....

My example: this weekend my husband and I are going down to Indianapolis (about an hour away) for a quick overnight getaway from the bustle of life. We found a great deal on hotwire for a hotel for 65 dollars. Granted, we realize we won't be able to use the pool (it's outdoor in march) and because it's just a 2.5 star, it probably is showing some wear and tear, but we know it will be convenient to the city and it's gotten really good reviews. We are on a budget so we'll grab a bite to eat at the local Applebees (25 dollars) even though Applebees often has slow service. Their food is usually pretty good.

Then to save money and enjoy the view we just walk around the city partake in some of the free St. Patrick's day activities. We know we won't be able to do everything because some of it you have to pay for, but we'll have a good time with what we got.

We'll go out to eat at a nicer dinner place (60 dollars) and will really enjoy the food and the atmosphere, even though since it's a nicer dining place the courses are drawn out a little more. After dinner we hit up the local comedy club (28 dollars). they're no jerry seinfeld but put on a pretty funny show. Afterwards, we decide to end our night at a dance club. we have to pay a cover charge (16 dollars) and there's really not that many people there, but we have fun together.

Finally in the morning, we could go out to a nice place for breakfast, but since we decided to go on a budget, we eat the continental breakfast at the hotel. It is just fine for our needs.

Ok, sorry for that long story, but this is all to say our one night in March in Indianapolis on a budget in March (cold here in Indiana!) without gas, taxes, tips, etc. will cost us about $194.00 We have a great time because we know what we are paying for.

Granted, cruise lines do sell themselves as a luxury vacation, but why do people who are spending about $100/day and are getting so much more than we are getting in indy (warm weather, cool places to visit, gorgeous views, tons of free activities, unlimited food, you guys know the rest) expecting such perfection? If the La Quinta in Indy has trouble keeping up with 123 guest rooms that aren't always full, imagine a staff taking care of 3,000 people on a constantly moving ship, especially when the demands of many of the people are unrealistic.

Unless you choose to spend preemo dollars on the high end cruises, no you won't see jerry seinfeld or a professional broadway show on stage. Your room will not have every single last amenity you could possible ever want or dream of, the weather will not always be perfect (nor the staff), and the food may occasionally need a little salt. You will, however, get an amazing, memorable vacation. You may, on certain cruiselines, get an experience that is perfection or a waiter that absolutely bends over backwards for you, but take the time to relish that when it occurs and don't make that a new impossible standard.

Ok, I'm sure I will get attacked for this :), but I just hope people can really enjoy the fact that they have the money to go on any cruise and can offer good, objective advice and tips for all of us other fortunate people. Thanks for reading my tirade!

They complain because they have nothing better to do! I often compare other cruises I've been on but just to the point where maybe something could be improved upon (like if something needed fixing in the cabin, that should've been handled maybe before passengers board the ship). As for the food, I'm not a picky eater and don't need 5-star cuisine like lobster - give me a hot dog anytime or even a tuna sandwich! Food is not all that important to me on a cruise - it's the time you make of it and the fun times you have! No complaints here from the next one in 4 weeks - just can't wait to get on and sail across the Atlantic Ocean (Splendor of the Seas, 4/23/07)!

Laurie

I dont think it was meant as a slight on the cruisers with less income, it was just a statement as to the typical income of cruisers compared to say, ten years ago....

I agree...I also think people complain because compared to years ago, the quality of cruises HAS slipped, but then again, the pricing is not much more.

If you cruised 10 or 20 years ago, you never had to pay for soda, decent coffee, keep track of towels, service WAS better, there were no plastic cups or "fear factor" contests, people dressed nicer and had better manners, so perhaps that is why people complain, because they're comparing modern day mass market cruising to the days when it really was more of a luxury and service was impeccable.

These days you have to go to the luxury lines to get that kind of service and clientele. I've gotten used to mass market cruising and know what to expect, but sometimes I'm still a little surprised. I just read that to get decent (brewed) coffee you have to pay for it now. It's not a big deal, but when does it end? You have to pay for "premium" restaurants (it used to be a premium meal was included in the cost, ALL the restaurants were premium), you have to pay for soda, ice cream...I think people may be objecting to the apparent "nickel and diming" that never used to be a part of cruising. JMHO.

I am not sure where you are from... 60,000 is a decent salary for a years work here in massachusetts. I would say lower middle class around here would be around 35,000.

In any event, people say that cruises portray a perfect vacation on their advertisements. Of course they do, so doesnt every other land resort out there. They are trying to sell their product just like everyone else in America. If you are foolish enough to believe that EVERYTHING will be perfect, it is your own fault.

I am a veteran of 4 cruises, all with Princess, which is considered a mid-monetary range line. Things go wrong, it is only natural. I feel like some people, just looove to complain. 600 dollars for a 7 night vacation, are you kiddin me? You would have to stay at an Econo Lodge just to come close to that for 7 days. It is all inclusive, aside from drinks. Add on food for a land vacation your up at around an average of 1500-2000 a peice! You can pay around that for two people, total on a great cruise.

It is one thing is the ship lists or something, but if your a picky eater, or you cant take everyone around you not alwwwways being happy, that is your own agenda.

I always read these reviews with some hesitation...cause there's always someone who takes offence at something said. but here goes.....my life is pretty nice, I'm able to vacation alot now, go to great places, work only 4 days a week (really hard though..as a nurse), have a great spouse, a decent home and good health. We've have some vacation that some might say were horrible....the week in Paris it rained everyday, staying in a tiny 6th story room with the shared bath one floor down, and getting pickpocketed on the metro....or the time in hawaii we both had terrible colds and fought the entire trip....or the Amtrak trip that was buses and stale sandwiches....or the bathroom that didn't work for half our Mexico cruise. and what do we remember fondly...just those terrible times. and the good ones too......

People who complain bitterly because their carpet is stained , the shower curtain is moldy, they get the GI bug......need to put things into perspective. Life isn't perfect, people aren't perfect, and corporate responses aren't perfect either. As long as life goes on, just expect things to be imperfect...hope for perfection...and accept what is......your blood pressure will thank you

I am not sure where you are from... 60,000 is a decent salary for a years work here in massachusetts. I would say lower middle class around here would be around 35,000.

The 60,000 was referring to a household income, not a single person income.

I think we could all agree that it is freaking AWESOME that more people can cruise now adays.... ESPECIALLY as a single income parent... good for you... :D ....

Heck, once I change careers from computer programming to teaching, I dont think I will be able to afford many vacations period, let alone cruising...*sniff*...

Hey guys,

never took that as a slight. i love how some websites come up with figures. This board makes me feel so good though. :D I wish you the best tonid1980. I hope you are blessed to afford cruising when you switch careers. I feel to be privileged in many ways: my son, to be on this board with you wonderful folks, vacations, job, roof, all the necessities and extras. Life is what you make of it. Live it to the fullest. :cool:

To all, happy cruising.

I agree...I also think people complain because compared to years ago, the quality of cruises HAS slipped, but then again, the pricing is not much more.

If you cruised 10 or 20 years ago, you never had to pay for soda, decent coffee, keep track of towels, service WAS better, there were no plastic cups or "fear factor" contests, people dressed nicer and had better manners, so perhaps that is why people complain, because they're comparing modern day mass market cruising to the days when it really was more of a luxury and service was impeccable.

These days you have to go to the luxury lines to get that kind of service and clientele. I've gotten used to mass market cruising and know what to expect, but sometimes I'm still a little surprised. I just read that to get decent (brewed) coffee you have to pay for it now. It's not a big deal, but when does it end? You have to pay for "premium" restaurants (it used to be a premium meal was included in the cost, ALL the restaurants were premium), you have to pay for soda, ice cream...I think people may be objecting to the apparent "nickel and diming" that never used to be a part of cruising. JMHO.

This is PERFECTLY stated. These changes have happened so gradually over the past 5-10 years that, for the most part, people just don't recognize, spcifically, why the "good old days" of cruising seemed much more elegant and special. Things like this always happen when they go "mass market" - standards get lowered simply because they can get away with it...the masses will still come. People who have just started cruising within the past few years don't have any pre-conceived ideas or know what the service and ammenities were like years ago, and so don't have anything to compare them to. Charging EXTRA to get BETTER food at specialty restaurants? Chains like Starbucks and Johnnie Rockets popping up on cruise ships? - whats' next, McDonalds?

Believe me, I always make the best of everything when I'm in "vacation mode", but these changes I've seen occur over the past few years just seem to take something away from the whole cruise experience...

By the way, another thing no one has mentioned that really bothers me is that, years ago, the cruiseline gave back 80% of the money they took in at Bingo. Now, they give back only 30% (I found this out through a Cruise Director). Just another thing I used to enjoy that I no longer participate in...

oh man... Everyone is going to hate me for this...but here we go

I feel (my opinion) that the older you get, the less you have to do in a day, the more time you have for complaining. Now let me say that my father (mid 50's) now has more freetime in his life and complains and takes action on little things more and more these days. When he was working full time, he didnt let little things bother him because he didnt have the time. Now days he has the time to email/call/fax/write a letter to every company he has the slightest bit of unhappiness with.

When I talk to people on cruises, it seems that most younger people seem to enjoy their vacations more because they are far and few between. They do not complain about anything unless its really bad (such as toilets not working for their whole cruise), where as I hear from the older generation complain about food not good, people didnt smile enough, people are not dressing formal enough. Im sure you could consider this a stereotype or generalization but I feel the majority of the time it is true. Sad to say, my grandparents and parents follow this stereotype.

I think as posted before that really high expectations are not met with a budget cruise and so people are let down. I think that if they have never had the luxury cruise to compare it to, they would not complain much. People focus on the negative thing and let it effect their entire trip instead of moving on. A slow embarktation seems to set the mood of the entire cruise for people... I guess they cannot comprehend that 3000 people on a single boat is just simply a lot of people to try and make happy at the same time.

Please dont take my opinion personally, but it is my opinion.

How can anyone older than you not take it personally when you call old people complainers if they have more time on their hands? First of all what makes you think they have more time on their hands? Some do, some don't. Most older people I know are very busy and I know very few complainers. Almost all have a positive outlook.

I could make a statement that young people complain more because they are more disrespectful. But that wouldn't be accurate. People are different.

If it were possible to quantify, I would suspect that the percentage of complainers under 40 would be about the same as those over 40. Now go tell your dad you are sorry and clean up your room. And get a haircut! :)

There is not an age barrier for those that complain just as there is not for those that see the bright side of things.

How can anyone older than you not take it personally when you call old people complainers if they have more time on their hands? First of all what makes you think they have more time on their hands? Some do, some don't. Most older people I know are very busy and I know very few complainers. Almost all have a positive outlook.

I could make a statement that young people complain more because they are more disrespectful. But that wouldn't be accurate. People are different.

If it were possible to quantify, I would suspect that the percentage of complainers under 40 would be about the same as those over 40. Now go tell your dad you are sorry and clean up your room. And get a haircut! :)

There is not an age barrier for those that complain just as there is not for those that see the bright side of things.

LOL.. call it a general observation.

BTW I live on my own with my girlfriend and pay for my own trips. Like I previously stated, its my opinion based off my own accounts from talking to people that have been on cruises and reading peoples comments here on the board. All my friends my age (20's) have nothing bad to say about a cruise. Though Im young, I am more mature than most of the people my age and enjoy relaxing quiet cruises (and my Alaska trip is sounding great right now). While there are exceptions to every rule, I truely feel my opinion and comments hold true.

This morning I'm doing two things at once, reading CC and catching up on some blogs. Just by coincidence, yesterday's Dilbert Blog was on my screen right before this thread, and I think Scott Adams has definitely got it right. Here's a short quote, but if you'd like to read the whole thing, it's at dilbertblog.*****.com.

During my college years, I worked two summers as a desk clerk for a resort in the Catskills. That’s where my boss taught me that one of the services we offered was listening to irrational whining. He explained that certain customers enjoy complaining. To them, it’s not so much about getting a solution to the problem as it is the complaining itself. The resort catered to people’s vacation needs, and if complaining was what they needed, it was our job at the front desk to listen to it.

We were trained to write down the complaint on a slip of paper clearly labeled “Work Order.” And throw away the piece of paper when the complainer left. Okay, not every single time. Sometimes the complaint involved something fixable, and we fixed it. But often the complaints were purely recreational, as in “The leaves on the trees are rustling too loudly in the wind.” I would express concern, apologize on behalf of the resort, and make a big deal about writing down the details just right. “Are ALL the leaves a problem, Mrs. Johnson, or is a particular group of leaves being extra noisy?”

IMHO - complainers are everywhere. They come in all age groups, live in every state, are on every vacation and are in pretty much every restaurant, store - etc. I choose to feel sorry for most of them, as they obviously are getting no pleasure out of life at all. :mad: It's just what they do. Why?? - who knows. "The lines are too long." "The wine isn't chilled properly." "My salad has the dressing ON the salad - not on the side." "The entertainment on the ship was sub-par." ....ya-da, ya-da - You fill in the blanks from your experiences! GOOD GRIEF!!!

My Dad taught me years ago to always look at the glass as being half full rather than half empty.

Attitude is everything in life. It can make or break a home. a company, a relationship, and most assuredly a cruise or vacation. Each of us has a choice daily on what type attitude we choose to hold. None of us can change the past. None of us can change the fact that other people act in a certain way, nor can we change the inevitable. The only person we control is "us". I heard from someone once, and I firmly believe, that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Treat others the way YOU wish to be treated - with courtesy, kindness, and undertanding.

So - happy people unite and rejoice!!:D Don't let the misery-lovers get you down. And above all, don't let them ever ruin your cruise, your vacation-to-anywhere, your dinner, or anything else. Just leave 'em alone and let them be happy in their unhappiness. It's what they DO!! If you notice them being ridiculously discourteous or whiney to a steward, a waiter, a sales clerk or whomever - make a point to go up to the offended person and give 'em a big smile and say something nice. Who knows - you made need something from them, and I PROMISE you - they will remember your kindness!

(NOW - if the toilet in my cabin is broken for a week - we may have an issue here....)

Happy Cruising Always! :) :)

oh man... Everyone is going to hate me for this...but here we go

I feel (my opinion) that the older you get, the less you have to do in a day, the more time you have for complaining. .....

8mpg,

I'm sure you fully expected a major flame session -- don't you know that HAL is the geezer line!?! ;) (with tongue fully in cheek).

Actually, I'm the age of your father, and I think I was far less tolerant when I was young, aggressive and (as all who know me know -- see above smilie) talented, with no time to waste on things and people that didn't work perfectly ....

Thankfully, I've grown, not just around the middle, and I don't sweat the foibles and imperfections nearly so much as I did in my 20s. Looking over the postings on this thread, I am confirmed in my totally unscientific conclusion that HAL cruisers are actually a pretty laid-back group, who in general don't sweat them either. No doubt, you will find complainers on HAL cruises, but I think on the whole we accept things as they are and do the best with what we have. Luckily, on HAL, we have good things most of the time. Besides, I'm too busy snorkeling, attending cooking demonstrations, hiking mountains (o.k., hills), and other such geezer-type activities. :cool:

IMHO - complainers are everywhere. They come in all age groups, live in every state, are on every vacation and are in pretty much every restaurant, store - etc. I choose to feel sorry for most of them, as they obviously are getting no pleasure out of life at all. :mad: It's just what they do. Why?? - who knows. "The lines are too long." "The wine isn't chilled properly." "My salad has the dressing ON the salad - not on the side." "The entertainment on the ship was sub-par." ....ya-da, ya-da - You fill in the blanks from your experiences! GOOD GRIEF!!!

My Dad taught me years ago to always look at the glass as being half full rather than half empty.

Attitude is everything in life. It can make or break a home. a company, a relationship, and most assuredly a cruise or vacation. Each of us has a choice daily on what type attitude we choose to hold. None of us can change the past. None of us can change the fact that other people act in a certain way, nor can we change the inevitable. The only person we control is "us". I heard from someone once, and I firmly believe, that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Treat others the way YOU wish to be treated - with courtesy, kindness, and undertanding.

So - happy people unite and rejoice!!:D Don't let the misery-lovers get you down. And above all, don't let them ever ruin your cruise, your vacation-to-anywhere, your dinner, or anything else. Just leave 'em alone and let them be happy in their unhappiness. It's what they DO!! If you notice them being ridiculously discourteous or whiney to a steward, a waiter, a sales clerk or whomever - make a point to go up to the offended person and give 'em a big smile and say something nice. Who knows - you made need something from them, and I PROMISE you - they will remember your kindness!

(NOW - if the toilet in my cabin is broken for a week - we may have an issue here....)

Happy Cruising Always! :) :)

I never accept my salad with the dressing on it! LOL:D

I agree with the original post, some of our best memories are of the things that went wrong. When talking about our trips we laugh (til we cry) about our hotel without airconditioning, the 3 busses we had to hop to get back from Walmart, Carrying ALL the luggage up 3 flights of stairs only to find out it was the wrong set of stairs. But especially the time that DH went to get the car after our cruise and took so long that we were joking about the car dying only to later see another car pull up to ours with jumper cables. The list goes on but I love the fact that my kids have learned to laugh about the unexpected problems we deal with in life. Each time these types of things happen we all talk about how much fun we are going to have remembering it!

Cruising makes a lovely vacation, but there is no such thing as perfect.

Sherry

Yes, it is Cruise Critic....not Cruise Cheerleader LOL

I do think that when someone has an unhappy experience they tend to want to post about it, dwell on it, and rehash it...

People who had a good time with no major problems write a nice review and then move along until their next cruise is booked

while the one with the "bad experience" brings it up over and over and finds others with a similar problem

While everything goes better with a good attitude people do have to remember that cruises are NOT free...."a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work" is ridiculous...you get paid to work...you pay to go on a cruise

Yes, some complaints are stooooopid....by stoooopid people who should have looked up the answers before they ever stepped on board...I am particularly amazed by people who complain of the charge for "pop" as they usually call soda..."they didn't give us free pop" LOL

Sometimes complaints can help others tho....embarcation and debarcation complaints for instance are particularly helpful I think...they let others know how to avoid the problem.

I am suspicious of any review that is "too much" either way....too much of a commercial/cheerleader...and likewise suspiciouls of the "gloom and doom" reviews....I like reviews that list the good/bad and pros/cons. JMO of course

Archived