Red Foot Tortoises in Carribean

Jade13

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but I am hoping someone can help us.

We have Red Foot Tortoises as Pets, and know there are some still in the wild in the Caribbean. We are hoping if we can find a good location we can go to the Caribbean and take a private excursion to the Island to observe them in the wild.

There was an article in a 2002 Reptile Magazine about "Red Foot Island" where the author observed 40 Red Foot Tortoises, but he (understandably) did not want to divulge the location. There was a photo.

Some Hints:

The Island is approx 100 acres ("maybe less")

Flat areas, partially covered with grass, much of the surface is barren.

The author was there for a half a day, so took a boat from a more major location (I keep thinking Grenada or St Thomas as good possibilities)

The Island has feral goats & Prickly pear cactus.

They also saw giant leatherback sea turtles, tropic & frigate birds and black& green anoles & boobies, and gannets that day.

I have done web research and various places listed where Red Foots have been spotted in the Western Caribbean include

Angilla, St. Croix, St. Kitts (small population near old volcanic crater near Mt Misery), Grenada, Charlotte Amalie (southern St Thomas), St. Bartholomew, St. Martin, St. Eustatius, Dominica, St. Lucia, near Road town Tortula, and Union Island near Granada.

Any idea where the 100 acre Island with Goats & Prickly pear cactus, and of course wild Red Foot Tortoises, may be located? That is where my Dh wants to go on vacation. We have been to a number of the Islands and there are tons of other places at the top of my vacation list (including Western Caribbean), but if we could see some Red Foot Tortoises in the wild it would sure make am Eastern Caribbean cruise more appealing

Thanks for any help figuring out the clues.

Archived