Attire for teen girls in dining room?

dale594

I will have 2 girls with me 16 and 20 on the Carnival Miracle. Can someone describe what they can wear in the dining room? I am assuming no shorts, jeans, belly showing shirts or low rise pants or real short skirts? They dress nicely, but they do wear alot of this stuff. So trying to figure out what they can wear that is still something they will like, etc. Thanks!!

I have a 16 y/o DD and I'm having a hard time with this also. I know there are countless threads about "NO shorts" in the DR, but even for church or other sort of "dressy" events, my DD wears nice knee length shorts (Like the Editor shorts from Express) . Usually black or black pinstriped with a dressier looking top and dressy shoes. I'd like some input about this as I am having a hard time with it.

We are travelling on NCL so they tend to be more casual anyway, but I'm still unsure. I've told her she may have to eat at the buffet a lot if we can't find something.

Thanks,

Shelly

When my daughters were 16&17 a few years back, we went on NCL, and they wore sundresses and short skirts and tops. I think the long shorts you are talking about are perfectly fine...I actually saw a gal in Church with them on last Sunday...they looked very classy!

Don't worry so much about their attire...they will fit in, as long as they don't look sloppy! No one will kick them out.

Last year on RCCL there was a family that dressed casual EVERY night...in jeans...no one said a word to them, and I am sure they enjoyed their cruise!

Relax & Enjoy your cruise!!!

Our 16 year old daughter is not allowed to wear jeans, flip flops, sneakers, shorts, or capris to the dinning room regardless if it is a casual night or not. Belly shirts aren't a problem because in her words they are quite "skanky." lol She usually ends up wearing a nice top with jewlery, a nice knee length or above the knee length skirt, or dress pants, as well as classy heels on casual nights. On formal nights it is a different story. We, as family, like to look put together and require everyone to get dressed up. On formal nights she wears a dress and heels along with some nice accented jewlery to tie the look together. And we also require pictures on formal nights and even on some of the nicer casual nights. Our daughter dresses very well and appropriately to dinner. She can change the minute after dinner is over back into jeans and sneakers and it is perfectly fine. There is a time and place for everything.:)

When my daughters were 16&17 a few years back, we went on NCL, and they wore sundresses and short skirts and tops. I think the long shorts you are talking about are perfectly fine...I actually saw a gal in Church with them on last Sunday...they looked very classy!

Don't worry so much about their attire...they will fit in, as long as they don't look sloppy! No one will kick them out.

Last year on RCCL there was a family that dressed casual EVERY night...in jeans...no one said a word to them, and I am sure they enjoyed their cruise!

Relax & Enjoy your cruise!!!

I agree the shorts I am speaking of look very classy, but, any kind of "shorts" gets some people really upset and I don't want to do that on our cruise. I can assure you that my entire family will look "put together". We would never wear jeans to the dining room and my daughter will be wearing sundresses on a couple of nights, but on a 7 night cruise, I think compromising with the teenager is going to make us all a little happier in the long run. As I said, we are cruising on NCL and they have become very casual in their dress since freestyle began. There really are no more actual "formal nights" and I do think the shorts I have described will work. However, I would still like more opinions.

Thanks,

Shelly

Im 17 and on my cruise I would wear nice capris and jeans that had a fancy beading on it and nice tops for casual nights, smart casual I would wear dress pants and a dressy top and the formal nights I wore nice dresses.

The shorts described seem perfectly fine for the dining room.

This is what my daughter wore on her 3 cruises for formal night, when she was 15, 16 and 17.

http://www.taronga.com/~arielle/cruise/alex-ballroom.jpg

It's hard to see the detail on it. The bodice is beaded and the skirt is satiny and flared.

Btw, her hair is no longer pink. Now it's bright red with black tips.

I know the kind of shorts you are talking about. I wear them!:D With a nice blouse or shirt they will be fine. I assuming you are talking about the shorts that are sometimes cuffed and come down to the knees. Anything too much shorter would be inappropriate. I'm sure your girls will look fine. As long as I don't see navels and the tops of butts and too much boobs I think its okay!:)

Archived