Puerto Vallarta hiking

jlines

We will be in PV on Easter Sunday so not sure what all will be open and available. We would like to get into the jungle for some hiking. What would be the best way to do this - hire a taxi/guide (do any speak english?) or rent a car and get a good map? Have spent hours searching on-line and am not having much luck so anyone with experience in this, HELP! Thanks.

Don't plan on renting a car and getting a map that shows hiking trails. We've been going to PV for 16 years, and haven't seen a map like that. I'm not saying it isn't there, but if you don't get one or know how to get one before you arrive, don't count on getting it. And unless you have a driver/guide arranged ahead of time, don't count on finding one that speaks enough English for your needs right away, either. We have found that although some speak great English, the majority speak just enough to do their jobs with tourists. And some not even that much.

On Easter Sunday, I would assume that the buses will be running, as it is the main transportation for many locals, and they'll need to get back and forth to church. Buses might run for limited hours, though. You could take a bus or taxi out to Mismaloya, and walk up the road through the jungle to where Predator was filmed. You could take a boat out to Yelapa and hike through the jungle up above the waterfall.

If they're available on Easter Sunday, there are several tours (jeep, horseback, atv, etc., that will take you into the jungle. On the ones we've been on, I would never find my way back to them by myself, and I don't think they're exactly open to the public, anyway.

It's difficult to keep a jungle trail open--the vegetation grows so fast. And it's a different culture...a lot of physical work involved in their day-to-day lives, and I don't think going out and hiking is a popular activity on the day off. Going to the beach is, though! So anyway, I don't think there is much in the way of recreational trails. If there is, I hope someone posts it...we might try it on our next visit.

we booked the tropical jungle tour in pv on NCL star and most other cruiselines have that tour also

you hike in the jungle by mismaloya,,

theres a waterfall, a stream, you can swim , its cold though

theres also a resturant and its where predator was filmed, it was only about 50 per person and you got food and 1 drink

if you do it,WEAR BUG SPRAY... and tennis shoes, the hike is sometimes rocky, but its fun,

i have some pics you can check out in my webshots link and see the pics

http://travel.webshots.com/album/547192194JZNfcz?start=12

it was fun....

Archived