Underwater Metal Detectors - allowed?

MisterEd

Wife and I are heading on a cruise with Holland America. Wondering if anyone has ever seen people using underwater detectors while diving in Mexico or Belize? Anyone see people using them on the beach either?

Just wondering....found some great stuff while on the beach in Hawaii (heck....my finds are help paying for the trip!!)

Ed

Typically, most of the diving cruiser's, as well as vacationers experience in the Caribbean is strictly controlled by local authorities, and is most often conducted in marine preserves. Naturally, the governments of these nations prefer to keep any artifacts divers may find in their territorial waters as part of their national history. What you may see about treasure hunters on the History or the National Geographic channels, are expeditions with all the proper permits issued by the country in question. Most divemasters on dive charters will tell divers that you may look, but don't touch, and leave everything where you found it.

I had quite a bit of experience in the Greek Islands doing some diving for both the US military as well as the U.N back in the late 60's and early 70's. I had several experiences off Crete, Dia and Parous, where the Greek Navy actually had armed sailors make a casual search of our gear after diving, insuring we hadn't hid some trinkets in our dive bags. Several years after I returned to the states, Cousteau actually dove one of our sites for which I provided a map and diagrams, and found two golden statues of Minoan origin (as I recall). The finds were shown on TV in his Search for Atlantis series. So countries have a real concern for losing what they don't even know they have.

Anyway, I would expect that no dive operation would even let your U/W metal dector aboard their boat and risk losing their operating permits. Now having said that, you could go snorkeling off some deserted beach, or use it on dry land, or rent your own boat that you personally operate, just remember your in a foreign country and we are subject to their laws.;) If you should find something of historical value, you would still need to get it out of one country and back into the States. You have to decide if its really worth the risks.;)

Thanks for the great comments. Unlike a lot of others who metal detect - I focus on recovering history for history vice profit. I was hoping just to find modern stuff vice historical items.

I guess I'll pack it and just detect the beaches AFTER getting permission!!

Thanks again.

Ed

Rookie Diver since 1977!!

• 7 months later...

I guess I should leave the countless beer cans, balls of foil and even worse the tabs from cans on the bottom??? My favorite are the cigerette lighters that fish find so attractive to eat.

I'll take the trash and keep the bottom clean for others to enjoy their memories.

Archived