Taxi from Coral World/Coki to Sapphire

natebenma

We will be in St. Thomas in early April. My boys are 5 and 8 and I know they would enjoy Coral World. We plan to have some beach time afterwards. Coki beach sounds great and convenient for snorkeling, but some of the recent posts have scared me. I don't want the kids exposed to blatant drug use and we won't enjoy being mobbed by vendors.

What is the taxi fair from Coki to Sapphire Beach? I understand it is about a 5 minute ride. Sounds like taxi fair will really add up (around $80 for the family to and from the ship, plus the additional fare if we go to Sapphire)

Thanks for any info!

We were at Coki in April and few years ago and didn't see or notice any of the blatant pot smoking that was going on. Nor were the vendors particularly aggressive. We were there at the end of April during Carnival and that may have been a contributing factor to not being exposed to these things.

I certainly would not want to risk exposing young kids to these types of things.

I don't know what to tell you...:( . But if $$ are a consideration, why not just head right to Sapphire?

Thanks for your reply- Sapphire Beach sounds wonderful, and I would love to spend the day there, but I really think the kids would enjoy spending some time at Coral World, so Coki Beach would be more convenient. But if the scene is too rough for the kids (which is what some, but not all, recent posters have suggested), then I think we will head over to Sapphire when we are done at CW. Hoping to get an estimate of the cost of the taxi so I can plan my expenses.

Taxi fares when away from the cruise ships are cheaper. They wanted $40 to take four of us to Sapphire from Havensight. When I was awaiting a dollar cab to take us back to the pier, a cab came by and offered to take us back to the pier for only $20. They don't appear to bargain, but if you are away from the cruise pier, you will likely get a cheaper ride. I put a more detailed review of the two beaches (Sapphire and Coki) in another thread if you want to read it. I saw about 6 or 7 locals at Coki around 6pm when I visited it...and yes 2 of them were smoking pot. If this is not something you want to expose your children to, go to Sapphire.

Archived