Missing the ship in a foreign port

Nukesailor

A recent incident occurred during a cruise on RCI’s Jewel of the Seas where a passenger arrived at the dock in St. Thomas just as the ship was pulling away and was not able to get back aboard. On a previous cruise, we met another passenger who was delayed on shore (again in St. Thomas) and missed the ship. This led me to realize that there isn’t enough information given to cruise passengers about what to do if this happens and how to prevent it from happening. So, I had a discussion with Jewel of the Seas’ Captain James MacDonald, Hotel Director Siegfried Konetzny, and Cruise Director Alan Bobby Brown about this issue. The following information is the result of that conversation, as well as personal observation.

Will the ship wait for a missing passenger? Not likely once the dock lines have been cast off. Will the ship wait for several missing passengers (especially if an entire tour is missing)? Maybe, but it’s not guaranteed. There are many factors that have to be considered to make the decision to wait: the onshore dock line handlers may have left the dock and would have to be rounded up again, there may be another ship scheduled for that berth, the schedule of other ships may be affected, the tide may be going out and could result in the inability of the ship to leave if delayed, etc.

First of all, if you miss the ship’s departure, as Douglas Adams said, “Don’t Panic!” (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy). The cruise lines have arranged for help to be available in these cases.

You know that device you stick your cruise card into as you leave and return to the ship (the one that goes “bing”)? That device tracks who’s off the ship and who’s on the ship. As a result, the captain and crew are immediately aware of any missing passengers. Sometimes you may hear people being paged just before departure to immediately contact Guest Relations of the Purser’s Desk. This is the first attempt to track down missing passengers, just in case they got aboard without logging in.

Next, if possible, the passenger’s family or traveling companions are contacted and, if the ship has not yet left the dock, may be given the choice of departing the ship to try to find the missing person(s) or staying aboard. However, departure of the ship will not be significantly delayed.

Each cruise line has a Port Agent in each port to represent their interests and make arrangements. This Port Agent will be immediately contacted and informed of any missing passengers. Usually, a representative of the Port Agent is at the dock when the ship departs. If you should just miss the ship, try to find the Port Agent at the dock. The Port Agent can arrange for hotel accommodations and airline flights to either catch up with the ship or return home. If you can’t find the Port Agent at the dock, call them.

It may be possible to catch a ride out to the ship on the Pilot boat or another local boat. However, this will be at the discretion of the Harbor Pilot and ship’s captain and is not likely due to liability reasons. A transfer between the boat and the ship while moving is quite dangerous. Also, foreign countries may have different rules and policies. Finally, this option would only be available if you arrive at the dock just as the ship is leaving.

What you need to know and do to help prevent this from occurring to you or to get assistance if it does:

• Take the daily ship’s newsletter with you. It gives information on what time you need to be back aboard and what time the ship departs. It also gives the local phone number of the Port Agent.
  • Double-check your watch against ship’s time before you leave. Especially if you had to change time during the trip (this is what tripped up the passenger in St. Thomas). Keep your watch on ship’s time.
  • Be back at the ship at least an hour before departure. Don’t play the “just one more shop” game.
  • If going by yourself, make sure someone else knows where you’re going.
  • BRING YOUR PASSPORT OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE!! Many ports allow you to use any photo ID, such as a driver’s license, and you will be told this is all you need. Don’t believe it. If you do miss the ship for whatever reason, you will have to either catch up with the ship or return home. Either case requires flying and entering or departing different countries, which may be denied if you only have a driver’s license. During our conversation, the Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise Director all agreed that a driver’s license wouldn’t cut it in this case. Of course, bringing your passport means you need to be a little more careful about pickpockets or losing it, as a stolen passport is highly desirable to certain elements.
  • Bring a credit card. You will be responsible for paying for any hotel accommodations or airfare. And it will likely be quite expensive, as there are no discounts for last-minute airfares.

Hopefully, you’ll always be back aboard before the ship sails. However, if you should miss the ship, this information should help you recover with nothing more than a good story to tell later.

Art

Nuke,

Thanks so much for posting. It pays to make sure you are back on the ship WAY before it's supposed to leave port. I would never think to have my passport and ID with me in case this happens. Now I can see why I'd need it.

You have provided some good information. It's all there in the daily newsletters for the passengers to read, but you can't always force people to do what is the wise choice. How many times do we have to read on these boards that (fill in the blank) happens on a cruise, the pax is outraged, however the solution or information they needed was in the contract they agreed to before they ever set foot onboard the ship.

This brings me to the point of what you post about the time to get back onboard, the ships newsletter, et al. They can tell some people until they are blue in the face and some people just don't PAY ATTENTION ! Or, some people for some reason think vacation is a free for all with alcohol consumption and make some rather foolish decisions while intoxicated. I have never disembarked a ship where the crew is not repeatedly telling the passengers what time it is (time zones can change) and (again, repeatedly) what time to get back onboard. A half hour before sailaway means just that, not rush back at the departure time, or 5 minutes later.

We're in the category of getting back to the ship before the recommended time. While the port visits are nice, there is no way I want to stay there with no luggage and no hotel accomodations. I'm mystified by the people who don't take these issues seriously and wonder why they don't stop and consider first of all, they are not in their home country and need to proceed with caution in whatever they do.

I think I'd only take the passport if I was going to be a great distance away from the ship. Passports are extremely tempting for pickpockets, very valuable on the black market. We hardly take anything off of the ship, only what is absolutely essential. Although a copy of the passport is not the best thing to have, it can help, a stolen passport will do you no good at all.

this is the scariest thing about cruising. I just dont understand why if ships are aware of the cruisers, why cant they at least give a reasonable time to locate passengers un-accounted for. I'm sure they can always get back on schedule

When the late passenger in St. Thomas showed up at the pier, the ship was about 10 feet away from the pier. The captain was very aware that the passenger was missing and observed the passenger's arrival at the pier (our balcony was just below the bridge and we could clearly see the captain watching). Return to the pier was not feasible for several reasons; among them that the docking line handlers had already left and the Millennium, docked in front of us, had to leave before the tide dropped too far. It's not just a case of making the schedule for the next stop.

As pointed out by Happy ks, people are responsible for their actions and need to remain aware of where they are and the time. I don't know of any airline that will hold a flight for a late passenger.

Art

Archived