Pirate ship excursion with kids (6,6,7)????

cruisinparents

In May, we will cruise Inspiration with a stop in Georgetown. There is a new excursion listed on Carnival's offerings called "Cayman Pirate Excursion". I thought that my 6 year old boy twins and 7 year old dtr might find this fun. Anyone know anything about it or if it's worth it? I don't just want to go on another booze cruise. Thanks for considering.:p

It is a family cruise. Your kids will love it. They take all the kids that are onboard and use them - it's interactive.

If you're interested in exactly what they do, read my review on it. It's very long so you'll have to page down a bit to get to the Grand Cayman part.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=396207

There are some videos on YouTube of the Pirate Adventure that changed our mind about doing the Pirate adventure. The pirates did a lot of yelling, not our cup-o-tea, but's that's us. The link is somewhere in the Cayman Island board section.

Yes this is the exact one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO8td1QUaVY

Don't show it to your kids. That'll spoil the surprise. The black guy with the sword, he's the one with the nose ring that (later) talked about how he did underwater photography and stuff.

It is a LOT of fun (notice all the laughter).

For the record, it's the Cayman Pirate *Encounter*.

I'm glad you enjoyed my review cruisinparents, thanks. I have a lot of fun writing them. :) (My most recent one is from a 4 day Splendour to Cozumel)

This looks like fun. Is this the same Pirate encounter excursion offered by RCCL? The yelling part -- would you classify it as "scary"? My daughter is a bit of a wimp :D.

How old is she?

I didn't see any of the kids getting upset about the yelling. Mainly cause it was so silly. I saw one little kid, he looked about 5 get upset about the water getting poured on his head but I got the impression it went up his nose. The guy stopped and talked to him; I didn't hear what they were saying but I'm positive he was reassuring him.

When he poured the water over my daughter, she kept catching her breath (cause it was cold!) and he kept telling her to breathe.

The two little toddlers weren't bothered by anything, not even the cannon going off. I remember one time one of the crew asking if something would bother one of them and the mom was like nah, he'll sleep through anything.

She'll be 7, but was scared 18 months ago by the pirates "attacking" the Disney Wonder. Also, my toddler was afraid (again 18 months ago) by fireworks, so maybe this isn't the best idea for my family. I'd hate the pay the money just to have them both miserable.

• 4 weeks later...

Not so good news......We booked this excursion for last week. It was hot and crowded when we got to the waiting area at the pier, so a lady pirate (who sounded a bit like Charro) was enlisted to kill time spouting facts while we waited. It was painful. People kept saying things like "I sure hope this gets better". We saw the ship -- it had about 100 people sitting side by side and looking uncomfortable. My kids wanted to bail out. We waited for the people to get off and asked several what they thought -- they said it was not worth the time. Too hot, too choppy and too cramped to be enjoyable. We bailed out, as did other people. Maybe if you go and it's not high season, it will be enjoyable. All other excursions were top notch -- just can't recommend this one.

• 1 month later...

wow is the same one that has that rum punch? we did one on our honeymoon and it was a blast! we walked the plank and the pirates put on a great show. I dont recall any crowding or wall to wall people. we did ours in the afternoon though..

Archived