Volleyball

rosieado

We are thinking of booking the Carnival Valor in August. It looks like a nice ship and we like the itinerary. We have been on 9 Carnival cruises, mostly all of them to the Carribean because we love the islands!

Just wanted to know if they have a volleyball court on deck.

My older kids love this but haven't seen one on any Carnical cruises. Only on the RCCL.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

We are thinking of booking the Carnival Valor in August. It looks like a nice ship and we like the itinerary. We have been on 9 Carnival cruises, mostly all of them to the Carribean because we love the islands!

Just wanted to know if they have a volleyball court on deck.

My older kids love this but haven't seen one on any Carnical cruises. Only on the RCCL.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Yes. Here is what it looks like on Valor's sister ship Glory

Pict0145.jpg

Yes. Here is what it looks like on Valor's sister ship Glory

That photo makes it look like there is a low ceiling cover over the volleyball court which competitive volleyball players would not like (my daughter plays on a High Performance club team).

My daughter plays competitive as well but considering;

A- she's not IN a competition match on the ship,

2- the players will be from all levels (ie- beginners thru senior competitors) playing will be only for fun

C- she was concerned about keeping the balls on the ship;

she says if there is a net ceiling on the court, at least she won't have to spend time fishing the balls out of the ocean, LOL.

My daughter plays competitive as well but considering;

A- she's not IN a competition match on the ship,

2- the players will be from all levels (ie- beginners thru senior competitors) playing will be only for fun

C- she was concerned about keeping the balls on the ship;

she says if there is a net ceiling on the court, at least she won't have to spend time fishing the balls out of the ocean, LOL.

But a low ceiling prohibits anyone from actually bumping or setting the ball. My daughter plays beach and backyard volleyball for fun. Having a low ceiling isn't too much fun. If the net ceiling were high enough, it would be a different story.

My wife and I both play competitive volleyball as well. The overhead net will be fine for setting, but some passes will get caught in the net. The court is probably only 1/2 the size of a regular court. I'm sure she will not be able to find enough good players to play competitively anyway.

But a low ceiling prohibits anyone from actually bumping or setting the ball. My daughter plays beach and backyard volleyball for fun. Having a low ceiling isn't too much fun. If the net ceiling were high enough, it would be a different story.

What may not be fun for your daughter is fun for plenty of other people. It will certainly be a lot easier to find players with the setup the way it is.

Besides, it's a cruise ship. Is it that horrible that the only volleyball court isn't a regulation size?

What may not be fun for your daughter is fun for plenty of other people. It will certainly be a lot easier to find players with the setup the way it is.

Besides, it's a cruise ship. Is it that horrible that the only volleyball court isn't a regulation size?

If you go back and read the messages, I never said anything about the size of the court. Take a look at the picture! The ceiling (net) above the court appears to be about 8 to 10 feet high. Kids playing in the yard hit the ball higher that 8 to 10 feet.

Please read before you comment.

This can't be for real...now the 2 story high net above the volleyball court is too low?

Where does it say that the net above the court is two stories high. That would be 20 feet and the pictures does not look like it is 20 feet above the court.

If you go back and read the messages, I never said anything about the size of the court. Take a look at the picture! The ceiling (net) above the court appears to be about 8 to 10 feet high. Kids playing in the yard hit the ball higher that 8 to 10 feet.

Please read before you comment.

I stand by my statement. With the way that it is set up, one can still find more people to play with and have a good time. The size of the court is only one aspect of the setup I chose to comment on. How serious do you think anyone's going to want to play on a hard surface without protection? It's meant to be light-hearted and fun, not diving for the ball someone tried to slam in your face.

I stand by my statement. With the way that it is set up, one can still find more people to play with and have a good time. The size of the court is only one aspect of the setup I chose to comment on. How serious do you think anyone's going to want to play on a hard surface without protection? It's meant to be light-hearted and fun, not diving for the ball someone tried to slam in your face.

Even if playing just for fun (no one said anything about it not being played for fun) it is no fun if playing with a 8 to 10 foot ceiling. Try playing volleyball in your living room. The whole point of the matter was the height above the court! I never complained about the size of the court!

Even if playing just for fun (no one said anything about it not being played for fun) it is no fun if playing with a 8 to 10 foot ceiling. Try playing volleyball in your living room. The whole point of the matter was the height above the court! I never complained about the size of the court!

Your point was that it was not suitable for competitive volleyball. My point is that there's probably not enough interest for competitive volleyball on a cruise ship, and the court serves its needs fine. That's all. :)

Your point was that it was not suitable for competitive volleyball. My point is that there's probably not enough interest for competitive volleyball on a cruise ship, and the court serves its needs fine. That's all. :)

My point was that the ceiling was too low for my daughter who happens to play competitive volleyball. The ceiling looks too low for volleyball for ANYONE who plays. If you want to hit a ball over a net and call it volleyball, go right ahead but even fun volleyball needs height.

My point was that the ceiling was too low for my daughter who happens to play competitive volleyball. The ceiling looks too low for volleyball for ANYONE who plays. If you want to hit a ball over a net and call it volleyball, go right ahead but even fun volleyball needs height.

You are absolutely correct! We organize a volleyball cruise every three years for our group which consists of competative adult volleyball players. The last Volleyball Cruise was aboard the Carnival Pride last year, and the court was netted in just like the one pictured in the link.

Although we had the court reserved for the group on days at sea, playing on the court was very frustrating. Competative players hit the ball hard - the guys especially found it hard to play and gave up. The ladies lasted a little longer, but we all felt better saving the play for the sand at our ports of call. Most people in the group played quads or doubles. All are former college players, still for the most part playing at the Open level.

Besides being netted in, it was also smaller than regulation size. Okay for little kids, but definitely not for competative players. But most people who play on cruises are doing so for fun, so it probably doesn't matter.

Royal Caribbean's voyager class ships have excellent regulation size volleyball courts and the volleyball themed cruises we have done with RCI have been very memorable. Carnival was probably more accommodating to our group, but the facilities were nothing to write home about.

Suzi

Unless you play competative volleyball, most people wouldn't care. But kids who compete at the club level of play while in high school or currently play in college will notice. And yes, good players do hit the ball really hard - recreational players have no business playing with them.

Only Royal Caribbean took the time to include real volleyball courts on their ships. As a rule, the level of play you see there is a little better and bit more competative. The kind of play you find on a Carnival cruise is not very good, but can be fun just the same. Everyone is included and cruise staff will watch to make sure everyone has fun. There is more emphasis placed on basketball anyway with Carnival - you're lucky if you even have volleyball scheduled on your ship!

I too love to play volleyball, and can play almost anywhere, including a league in a elementary school gym, with really low ceilings. We were allowed to play off equipment, and lights there too. I think the other thing to consider on a cruise, is playing on land at each stop. We had a great time on Aruba and Barbados playing beach ball. It was still hacker-style ball with everyone having fun, and not too worried about lifts and carries. You are on vacation, and need to relax a bit. Unless you are on a volleyball specific cruise, you'll have a hard time scaring up a full 6 on 6, or diamond formation. With a drink of the day in hand, you may not be so quick and agile, but you'll be smiling. CruiseStrong!

Where does it say that the net above the court is two stories high. That would be 20 feet and the pictures does not look like it is 20 feet above the court.

I have been on the Valor (which is where the picture is from) The nettting goes up above the F-deck encompassing the sports deck and above the F-deck...2 decks...2 stories...it maybe 16 feet...I'm not sure of the actual difference in elevation of cruiseship decks. I'll have to search for blueprints online for the answer so I can get some sleep tonight. :rolleyes:

47b6db03b3127cce98548043a4e100000017108AcsmLVy0YtC

Here is a picture from the F-deck....a whole flight of stairs up from the sports deck. (not the short stairs shown in the other pic that is the large sun deck, the F-Deck stair railling is in the lower left corner of the original pic). Notice the hieght of the netting in the background in relation to the people in the forefront. now allow for distance and perspective....it is relatively 2 STORIES HIGH. it may not be 20 feet but it sure is not 10 feet.

I understand your point, why do you continue to choose not to understand mine? My point is that it's not meant for a "competitive" volleyball game, it's a cruise ship!! And I played volleyball in high school, so I know exactly what you mean, and I agree with you.

When I was on the Conquest last August, I did play some volleyball. It was very, very competitive 2 on 2 -winner got next.

The net is a must or we will run out of ball. We just changed the rule a little bit playing on when the ball touching the top net. It was fun and I had the best excercise the whole cruise.

Just hopefully there will be some good volleyball player come out and play on your cruise. Have Fun.

Archived