I thought you weren't supposed to feel the rocking?

just got off the glory a few days ago.. our room was on deck 2 main at the back of the ship... no rocking during the day was felt but at night it was bad. maybe we had a bad room but it was noisy and swaying quite a bit. ugh! despite that and the man overboard situation it was a GREAT trip!!

just got off the glory a few days ago.. our room was on deck 2 main at the back of the ship... no rocking during the day was felt but at night it was bad. maybe we had a bad room but it was noisy and swaying quite a bit. ugh! despite that and the man overboard situation it was a GREAT trip!!

All ships will rock from time to time, depending on the waves and winds. You are on the ocean afterall.

We were on that cruise, On deck 2 also. We were amidships. I thought the ride was petty good. Remember you are on a ship in the water and it is moving so you will have motion. First time I was this low to the water. I thought it was great especially at night looking out in to the blackness of the ocean with only the ships lights to add color to the wake of the ship. We had a great cruise and can't wait to go again.

You know, maybe it wasn't the ship or the captain or the cruise line...

maybe it was the weather.

A few weeks ago, there was someone complaining about the Miracle rocking the first night our and she had been on another ship once and it didn't rock so something must be wrong with the Miracle or her captain. I did about 20 seconds of research and found that a strong cold front (the same one that produced the deadly tornadoes in Enterprise, AL and Americaus, GA) had gone through Tampa Bay about 24 hours before they left.

But at night it was bad. maybe we had a bad room but it was noisy and swaying quite a bit. ugh!

Two reasons for this, First, You will always feel it alittle bumpy at night, thats when they fire up the 3rd and 4th Engines and move faster to gain time. Second, if you have over 50% Newlyweds onboard, your cruise will be Rock and Roll no matter what time of the day it is :D

Fred

[/left]

Two reasons for this, First, You will always feel it alittle bumpy at night, thats when they fire up the 3rd and 4th Engines and move faster to gain time. Second, if you have over 50% Newlyweds onboard, your cruise will be Rock and Roll no matter what time of the day it is :D

Fred

Fred, you are naughty . . . tee hee!

[/left]

Fred

Sooo.... If the boats a rockin' don't come a knockin'....:p

You have to remember that even the largest of ships are just a tiny speck in the ocean. You are not on dry land. In good weather you probably won't feel the ship rock but in bad weather you most probably will. At least I did last Oct on the Legend in a bad wind storm. If you tend to get seasick, take Bonine, Dramamine or ginger pills.

Out of our three cruises, we felt the Glory rocked the most - that being said, the Glory was also the only ship we have been on that spent it's time in the Atlantic Ocean - not in the bit more protected Caribbean Ocean. We love the rocking sensation - very soothing. Sorry you were not expecting it, but that's just the way it is on the ocean, no matter how big the ship.

I was on HOL Masdam 3 yrs ago out of NORFOLK VA. Coming back the last 2 days we had waves hitting 3rd level balcony doors . Everyone was sick. They cancled almost all events includind last night meals and shows .The ship was comming out of water . WE all thought the ship would break the way it came down onto the water. It was so bad it emptied pools. The worst Ive been on. We arrived 6 hours late into port. Every one complained but they said they have no control over weather which I agreed to. That was the 1st time I was sick . I didnt leave room the last 40 hours of cruise. However that didnt stop me from more cruises. I leave this weekend on Miracle. CARL

I just came back from the Freedom which sailed on the Mediterrean. One night the boat was rocking so bad, you couldn't even stand up straight.

It was fun watching everyone "line dance" to one side and then the other in the nightclub. After a few drinks, dancing was nearly impossible and many people fell straight on their bums!

We did the Glory twice and had very little rocking. Liberty was also pretty good. We did the Legend last month. It rocked more than all of the ships we have ever been on. Everyone said it was very rocky.

We sailed on the Holiday out of Mobile in May 2005, and was absolutely ROUGH! 3 out of the of the 4 nights, the shows were cancelled. The first night out, so many people were sick, and no barf bags anywhere. Second day, they had those suckers hanging EVERYWHERE! LOL It rained alot of the cruise, but hey, *I* just ordered another Martini and said "a cruise is what you make of it".

We had the misfortune of running into some type of storm that packed 60KT winds. My daughter went to the top deck, and she said the wind literally held her up while leaning into it. Torential rains and rocking...time for another Martini! LOL

I expect some motion, but even the crew remarked that this was unusual. I got up around 2 or 3 one night, and decided that a Lido deck excursion was most appropriate. ( My wife is a heavy sleeper, and stayed in the room). After exiting the elevators, lo and behold, several officers were standing looking at the pool being sloshed empty, and a real gulley washer in progress..Thunder, lightening, wind....Time for another Martini!

My wife and I did not allow that to deter us as we are booked on the Victory May 20th. My son left today! (Much jealousy), and will be sailing with us again on the Victory, with our daughter.

I take ginger and bonine so don't have any sickness problem and actually enjoy the rocking. That was the best sleep we have ever had last year on the Glory. Just like a baby being rocked to sleep. And again in 33 days:D

It seems that there is some sort of "myth" out there, if you will, that the bigger the ship, the less is pitches and rolls. Also, the capabilities of stabilizers on the ships have been greatly exaggerated. It's all relevant to the weather, and another poster mentioned. Stabilizers, wing like devices that are extended into the water on the sides of the ship, control about 75% (max) of roll (side to side movement). They do nothing at all for pitching (the rise and fall of the bow or stern). I was on a cruise and heard people accusing the Capt of not using the stabilizers and wanting to berate him for it. Maybe he should have gave them about 30 minutes of life without stabilizers for a demo? ;) I've been on some cruises where the movement was slight, and some with it quite bad (like 3+ days of 19-20 foot swells heaving to Hawaii from San Diego), but they all had movement. Also, midships, in a lower cabin, has the least movement when things get rough.

I've been on many cruises now, and I do get sea sick, however I take generic meclazine tablets (same thing as Bonine), and I've not gotten sea sick yet - the stuff works, if you take it. For me, there's two choices, pills or puke (unless the sea is quite smooth).

Ken

It seems that there is some sort of "myth" out there, if you will, that the bigger the ship, the less is pitches and rolls. Also, the capabilities of stabilizers on the ships have been greatly exaggerated. It's all relevant to the weather, and another poster mentioned. Stabilizers, wing like devices that are extended into the water on the sides of the ship, control about 75% (max) of roll (side to side movement). They do nothing at all for pitching (the rise and fall of the bow or stern). I was on a cruise and heard people accusing the Capt of not using the stabilizers and wanting to berate him for it. Maybe he should have gave them about 30 minutes of life without stabilizers for a demo? ;) I've been on some cruises where the movement was slight, and some with it quite bad (like 3+ days of 19-20 foot swells heaving to Hawaii from San Diego), but they all had movement. Also, midships, in a lower cabin, has the least movement when things get rough.

I've been on many cruises now, and I do get sea sick, however I take generic meclazine tablets (same thing as Bonine), and I've not gotten sea sick yet - the stuff works, if you take it. For me, there's two choices, pills or puke (unless the sea is quite smooth).

Ken

Love that last line..pill or puke......I'm with you..never been seasick and never want to be cause I have seen people who were. I always take my generic Bonine. So does my wife..no problems... and we have seen some pretty rough seas. Better safe than sorry.

There's no guarantee you won't feel some movement even with stabilizers. After all, you're on a moving ship on a moving ocean. Lower down and midships is the best place to be. Since you were on the aft, you may also have felt movement from the thrusters or engines as well.

Are you sure it wasn't that the Earth moved?

Z

You probably heard lots of people tell you that the lower the deck and more midship you are the less motion you will feel.

While the movement may be minimized, if seas are a bit rough even the stabilizers can't eliminate the rocking & rolling.

Hope you had some sea sickness meds!

Payd:)

This past December we had some bad weather for the first two days at sea, plus we were onthe atlantic side. By far the worst rocking I had experinced on board the first 4 cruises. This was the lIberty and the second time on that ship. I accounted by sickness to the motion of the ocean. By the second night we had changed course about mid dinner and slowed down a wee bit, no problems after that. Unfortuantely for the change in course and the slow down we did get into SanJuan very late and all excursions were cancelled, not much to do there unless you wanted to drink.

I was on HOL Masdam 3 yrs ago out of NORFOLK VA. Coming back the last 2 days we had waves hitting 3rd level balcony doors . Everyone was sick. They cancled almost all events includind last night meals and shows .The ship was comming out of water . WE all thought the ship would break the way it came down onto the water. It was so bad it emptied pools. The worst Ive been on. We arrived 6 hours late into port. Every one complained but they said they have no control over weather which I agreed to. That was the 1st time I was sick . I didnt leave room the last 40 hours of cruise. However that didnt stop me from more cruises. I leave this weekend on Miracle. CARL

do they lock people from going out on the decks when this happens. I would love to be on a ship in a storm. might top chasing twisters here in oklahoma.

they requested people to stay in rooms . I was so sick I hardly left room . I was all the way up front 3rd deck .THE people in lowest decks middle of ship had it the best. Since then that is where I get . This time on MIRICAL im riveria deck dead center of ship same as last year on COSTA MAGICA . IT has the least movement of any room. THE waves hitting the hull knocked me out of bed a more than a couple of times. The wind was south we were going north in 50 ft. plus waves . You would crest over wave and down 50 ft. We went straight into waves so there was no use for stabalizers. My room steward said it was the worst waves he had seen and he had been on ships quite a few years . He brought me food and hand fulls of dramame bUT I still couldnt keep ony food down this went on almost 2 days coming back But the MASDAM I think was about 50,000. tons so she also isnt as large as some ships . I went out of room a couple of times but you couldnt hardly walk just hang on to whatever.The crew asked me to return to room as it wasnt safe things were moving that wasnt tied down . Years ago on my 2nd trip on the norway we ran into a storm but we were out in the ocean not following the coast where it amplified the waves. I have pictures of my daughter up on deck in 50 mph winds she was almost flying butthere was hardly any ship movement but this was 20 times worse than that we didnt have the ship going 18 knots straight into 50 to sometimes 70 ft waves . It I never did find out if it was a huracaine But I think it was just bad luck wrong place wrong time wind ,waves, posistion off coast . CARL

Archived