dolphin discovery

lovetexas

we are having a hard time deciding on what dolphin event to do- any help would be greatly appreciated!! my child is 7 and will be 7 1/2 when we go in august. she is not real comfortable trying a wild activity, but i think the swim looks much funner. she will be kinda still recovering from a surgery, so i am wondering if the swim is a little rough? :confused: please help, we are having a really difficult time making a decision, and i want to book soon--

We just took our 8 year old son on the Royal Swim.... it was AWESOME!!!!!

The only part that is physical is the actual swimming out a short ways to do the 2 major tricks. Otherwise, you are standing on a platform in the water at a fence. You swim out in pairs... everyone wearing a life jacket... so, if you can help pull her along if necessary... she will be fine. As far as the 2 tricks themselves... you just position yourself in the water and the dolphins do the work. For the dorsal pull, you put yourself in a T position in the water with your arms out at the shoulders. The dolphins come right up behind you and you just grab on. The dolphins can tell that it is a child or smaller body and adjust their speed.

The superman push was totally awesome. You position yourself out in the water with your arms out in front of you and your legs behind you... laying in the water. The dolphins come up behind you ... find your feet with their noses and take off. You just start moving through the water and you lift half way up out of the water without doing anything. I was afraid of this one... I was thinking that I would not be coordinated enough to do it right. Well, the dolphins found my feet.. one slipped off and it found it again in a second and before I realized what was happening .. i was off!!!!! If the child is too afraid to do it... you can each take one of her tricks.... but the trainer will encourage her to try.

The free time is with the whole group out in the water and the trainer shows you some tricks like splashing and dancing that you all do together with the dolphins.

I guess it really depends on your child and what kind of surgery and how long post op...

but if you are thinking about it.. I would say go for it.. if the doctor gives clearance to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may want to try the Snorkel/Swim Adventure if you want more dolphin contact but not able to safely do the Royal Swim tricks. After the platform time, everyone is in the water while the dolphin swims around you - you can put on your mask or not - it's up to you to watch the dolphin underwater. Then the dolphin gives each participant a belly ride.

Also as far as your daughter's age, we have been able to get an OK for 7 year olds to participate as long as they meet the 4 foot mininimum height requirement as well as are participating with an adult.... just be sure and ask for authorization ahead of time.

Was the Royal Swim booked through the Royal Caribbean cruise? We are attempting to book our excursions ahead of time and I am trying to figure out which excursion to pick in order to get the Royal Swim at Chankanaab National Marine Park. I want to make sure that I get the foot push and the dorsal pull. The only one that I see with that Park in the description is the Dolphin Encounter. The only ones that I have to pick from is the following:

Dolphin Encounter

Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure

Mayan Discovery & Dolphin Encounter

Xcaret with Dolphins

Any suggestions? None of the descriptions seem to be very detailed, and of course, I've tried to e-mail them and no one seems to be able to help!

Otherwise, does anyone happen to know anything about the dolphin swims in Ocho Rios Jamaica? All I know is this has been a lifelong dream for me, I finally get to do it, and I want to make sure it's the right one!!

Any info anyone has that can help would be great!! Thanks!

dolphin dreamer....

no, the royal swim is only offered directly through dolphin discovery. It is very easy to set this up on your own. Go to their website at dolphindiscovery.com there you will find the swim info and booking info. You will have to provide your own transportation to the park... again, very easy... just go out to the cab area at the port and ask for a cab to Chaakanab ( sp) park. it is about 12 dollars per cab ( not per person). You will then have to get your entrance into the park. From what i understand right now there is a promotion for a free entry... if not, each person will have to pay 16 dollars to enter the park. ( there is a coupon at cozumelinsider.com for 2 dollars off).

There will be many people asking you if you have a dolphin swim set up and will let you know where to go and when.

If you arrive early enough before your swim, you can enjoy the whole park. It is really beautiful. They have done a great job restoring its beauty. Then, the only thing you have to watch is that you get going out of there and back in a cab ( readily available there) to go back to the ship on your own.

I highly recommend the royal swim... even better will be the option to add a swim with the sea lions when they return.

Was the Royal Swim booked through the Royal Caribbean cruise? We are attempting to book our excursions ahead of time and I am trying to figure out which excursion to pick in order to get the Royal Swim at Chankanaab National Marine Park. I want to make sure that I get the foot push and the dorsal pull. The only one that I see with that Park in the description is the Dolphin Encounter. The only ones that I have to pick from is the following:

Dolphin Encounter

Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure

Mayan Discovery & Dolphin Encounter

Xcaret with Dolphins

Any suggestions? None of the descriptions seem to be very detailed, and of course, I've tried to e-mail them and no one seems to be able to help!

Otherwise, does anyone happen to know anything about the dolphin swims in Ocho Rios Jamaica? All I know is this has been a lifelong dream for me, I finally get to do it, and I want to make sure it's the right one!!

Any info anyone has that can help would be great!! Thanks!

Try cozumel insider, they will get back to you.

Lovetexas: We did the dolphin swim in Feb. Everyone, including my 8 year old niece (who is tiny!), loved it. She had no problem with any of the tricks. But, if your child is uncomfortable with any part of it, she can stand on the platform and skip any part. Here's what we did:

Standng on the platform --dolphin kiss.

Standing a little away from the platform -- dolphin hug

Swim out to middle of dolphin area-- belly ride (very cool!)

Also -- we swam close to the middle (together) and the dolphin did some swim-bys doing various things.

There is a picture of the dolphin area at Chankanaab in my Navigator album (link below).

We booked through dolphindiscovery.com.

• 2 weeks later...
dolphin dreamer....

no, the royal swim is only offered directly through dolphin discovery. It is very easy to set this up on your own. Go to their website at dolphindiscovery.com there you will find the swim info and booking info. You will have to provide your own transportation to the park... again, very easy... just go out to the cab area at the port and ask for a cab to Chaakanab ( sp) park. it is about 12 dollars per cab ( not per person). You will then have to get your entrance into the park. From what i understand right now there is a promotion for a free entry... if not, each person will have to pay 16 dollars to enter the park. ( there is a coupon at cozumelinsider.com for 2 dollars off).

There will be many people asking you if you have a dolphin swim set up and will let you know where to go and when.

If you arrive early enough before your swim, you can enjoy the whole park. It is really beautiful. They have done a great job restoring its beauty. Then, the only thing you have to watch is that you get going out of there and back in a cab ( readily available there) to go back to the ship on your own.

I highly recommend the royal swim... even better will be the option to add a swim with the sea lions when they return.

Do you have to book the royal swim early or can you book when you arrive? If you only want to watch (while your party takes part) do you just pay the entrance fee to the park?

Chankanaab Park is a national park and Dolphin Discovery is inside of it. We were there in 2003 and are returning this June. If part of your party wants to swim with the dolphins and the other part does not, then they will just have to pay the $16 entrance fee ($14 with that coupon for $2 off). They can watch the people swimming with the dolphins, but depending on where the group is stationed, may not be close enough to take good pictures, etc. Booking through Dolphin Discovery is easy and they have a reasonable cancellation policy. Go to their website and plug in your information as if you are going to reserve. The Terms and Conditions with cancellation policies will come up on the screen before you finalize the reservation. I did that a couple of times to show my husband and friend before I actually finalized my reservation. I've only read positive things on cruise critic boards and trip advisor regarding Dolphin Discovery. As far as taxis, it is very easy to find taxis there and back, no worries about that. Just give yourself error time, in case they start the swim a bit late, then to view the pictures and videos they take and offer you, and plenty of return time. It's about 15 minutes each way taxi time. The park was beautiful with miniature replica mayan ruins (alot of them) when we visited in 2003 and I've read that it's been restored, just minus some of the lush vegetation which is to be expected I guess.

Good luck and enjoy!

Chankanaab Park is a national park and Dolphin Discovery is inside of it. We were there in 2003 and are returning this June. If part of your party wants to swim with the dolphins and the other part does not, then they will just have to pay the $16 entrance fee ($14 with that coupon for $2 off). They can watch the people swimming with the dolphins, but depending on where the group is stationed, may not be close enough to take good pictures, etc. Booking through Dolphin Discovery is easy and they have a reasonable cancellation policy. Go to their website and plug in your information as if you are going to reserve. The Terms and Conditions with cancellation policies will come up on the screen before you finalize the reservation. I did that a couple of times to show my husband and friend before I actually finalized my reservation. I've only read positive things on cruise critic boards and trip advisor regarding Dolphin Discovery. As far as taxis, it is very easy to find taxis there and back, no worries about that. Just give yourself error time, in case they start the swim a bit late, then to view the pictures and videos they take and offer you, and plenty of return time. It's about 15 minutes each way taxi time. The park was beautiful with miniature replica mayan ruins (alot of them) when we visited in 2003 and I've read that it's been restored, just minus some of the lush vegetation which is to be expected I guess.

Good luck and enjoy!

This sounds good. I think I'll try this. Thanks.

Is San Gervasio inside the park?

Lovetexas: We did the dolphin swim in Feb. Everyone, including my 8 year old niece (who is tiny!), loved it. She had no problem with any of the tricks. But, if your child is uncomfortable with any part of it, she can stand on the platform and skip any part. Here's what we did:

Standng on the platform --dolphin kiss.

Standing a little away from the platform -- dolphin hug

Swim out to middle of dolphin area-- belly ride (very cool!)

Also -- we swam close to the middle (together) and the dolphin did some swim-bys doing various things.

There is a picture of the dolphin area at Chankanaab in my Navigator album (link below).

We booked through dolphindiscovery.com.

Hello

I was just wondering, where is the Pelican Beach Hotel you stayed at? Is that in Florida?

Archived