Based in UK - book through US TA?

kazza

I have been reading a lot about the price difference between the UK and US for the same cruise. I am UK based but considering booking through a US TA if I can get a better deal. Has anyone ever done this? Is it even possible? Are there any potential problems I should be aware of (other than big changes in the exchange rate)?

Hi Kazza,

Remember me from our Voyager cruise last August?

We ALWAYS book through a US travel agent, not only is it cheaper but also us Brits have currently got the advantage of the good exchange rate. When we were on the Freedom last October we booked Voyager and Liberty for this year. Not only did we receive the on-board credit from RCCL once we transferred the booking to our TA he gave us more. I think it was $50 for Liberty and $125 for Voyager. So in the end we got a very good price indeed. I think Liberty for half term week in October ended up about £350 each, I doubt ANY UK travel agent or internet site could beat that! :D

If you want to let me know your email address i'll send you the website link.

Debs

Debs

I think you have me confused with someone else, but thanks for your reply. I feel more confident about giving it a go and would love details of your contact if possible. I am quite new to CC - is there any way to get in touch without broadcasting my e-mail? Thanks.

I have been reading a lot about the price difference between the UK and US for the same cruise. I am UK based but considering booking through a US TA if I can get a better deal. Has anyone ever done this? Is it even possible? Are there any potential problems I should be aware of (other than big changes in the exchange rate)?

As we live for 6 months in each country we have done both and to be perfectly honest there is VERY VERY little diferrence in the prices(taking into consideration the fluctuating xchange rate).

So if you have a GOOD TA in the UK as we have I would suggest you stick with them, it is a lot easier to get your price drops(if you are lucky enough to get any:D ) by talking with them rather than having to ring the US.

Can only say that I have often found it considerably cheaper to book in the US!! I always do a comparison - but never found it cheaper in the UK and the deposit is usually not returned if you change your mind!!

Again, I think there is a lack of consistancy with RCCL. Also with Princess!!

Same experience here - in the UK we do not get deposits back if we change our mind - nor are we eliglible for price drops! We also can't access C&A benefits online. There is a huge discrepancy in the way RCCL treats it's customers. Hopefully with more ships out of the UK in the future we might begin to get equal status.

If you can book through US agent and gain these benefits I would say go ahead. Would be interested to learn how it works out.

Carol

Same experience here - in the UK we do not get deposits back if we change our mind - nor are we eliglible for price drops! We also can't access C&A benefits online. There is a huge discrepancy in the way RCCL treats it's customers. Hopefully with more ships out of the UK in the future we might begin to get equal status.

If you can book through US agent and gain these benefits I would say go ahead. Would be interested to learn how it works out.

Carol

Carol, You certainly can get the price drops:) which are always nice. We have had them for past cruises and for our forthcoming transatlantic we have had 3 price drops, the last being AFTER final payment totalling to savings of around 345GBP per person on a JS. Admittedly I do have to contact the TA to ask them to apply for it from RCCL. Also with the right UK TA you can also get a reduction on the basic cruise price by them passing on some of their commission to the customer.

John.

Archived