How does tendering work?

Fila

This is my second cruise and never had to tender before. If you could give me an insider point of view I would appreciate it.

Q: Is it true that the first people allowed to tender are the ones who booked excursions through the ship? Or does everyone stand in one long tremendous line.

Q: If you want to be one of the first peole in line, how early should you get there?

Q: How quickly does the line move?

Q: Is there plenty of room on tenders for such things as luggage size dive bags?

Q: How often to the tenders go back and forth?

Q: Is it best to wait an hour for the traffic jam to ease?

Q: Is the last tender always 1 hour before ships departure?

If there is anything I missed that I need to know please feel free to tell me? I want this to be a painless as possible.

Usually they let ship's shore excursion people go on the first tender. For other people, most cruise lines hand out tender tickets (free) with numbers starting at "one". They start calling numbers and then you go to the tender. Usually after an hour or so, they announce no more tickets needed (when the crowds die down) and you can go at your convenience. Tenders usually go back and forth every 15 or 20 minutes (more often at the end of the day). As you leave the ship there will be a sign telling you what time the last tender is.

dont want to sound as inexperienced as i am , but im not sure what tendering is. I assume that the ship doesnt dock and you have to take a boat ashore? could someone clarify this for me..and you tell i have been on my first cruse yet??

You are exactly right. The ship docks out in the harbor and you either go ashore in one of the lifeboats from the ship or from a special "tender boat" that comes out from the island. Some ports either don't have deep enough docks for a cruise ship or not enough room for all of the ships in port that day.

You are right. Sometimes the boat is too large for the docks or there are no docks available to pull up to, so the boat drops anchor in the harbor and tenders are used to take people ashore. On some ships, the tenders are the lifeboats (that may fit 40 people) on board the ship. On other ships, there is a larger boat (like a double decker ferry type boat) that fits 100 people.

Fila-The lines for the tenders usually more pretty quickly. There are usually 2 tenders 1 at the ship loading and 1 on land loading and then they rotate. There is plenty of room for you to take you dive bag. When you say "If you want to be one of the first peole in line, how early should you get there? " The cruise line will tell you to not wait on the stair ways for your tender ticket number to be called. People waiting on the stairs throws a wrench into the whole works by slowing everything done b/c they are in the way.Depending on where you are tendering, you may want to wait to get off or you may not. For example, if your ship stops at a private island - to get a good spot on the beach, you'll want to be off right away. If you are just getting off to go around by yourself (not on an excurison) it would make a big difference to wait for the rush to die down.

Fila, whenever a ship goes into a port or anchors off shore the ship has to be cleared by local authorities. You usually can leave about an hour after scheduled arrival time. Just listen for announcements saying the ship has been cleared, and then you can leave. Another thing, if your cruise includes St Thomas, all passengers will be expected to clear US Immigration before you can leave the ship at that port. You will have to bring your passport or birth certificate to the lounge at the appointed hour for Immigration to inspect everyone on board.

Archived