Blue Ocean Safari – Costa Maya review

jwmcq

We just returned from diving with BOS. We had a great time. We are a group of 11 (3 families) traveling together with 5 divers and the rest snorkelers. The 3 dads went out first thing while the moms walked into Mahahaul to take the kids shopping (and got a massage on the beach!) We then joined them for the 2nd dive. They guys said the first dive was great. For our 2nd dive we went just a little ways out to Dos Ojos (two eyes). Rodrigo was our DM. It was a very small boat so we all 6 did a back roll entry at the same time. This was a first for me, but it was very simple. The “two eyes” reef has a swim through between two reefs. We saw garden eel, flamingo tongue, grouper, a huge turtle and a 12 in long fire worm. The coral had some sand on it, but still looked very healthy. I began my dive at 3500 PSI and ended with 1100. We had a bottom time of 47 min and went to 75 feet, but averaged around 50 ft. While we dove, our teens went snorkeling in another area with BOS. They did not see as much sea life, but still had a good time. The beach area at the Blue Iguana was beautiful and a couple in our group chose to just hang out there. It was very comfortable there and we really enjoyed our day.

I am glad you guys had a good time. The shop owners seem to be very nice folks. We dove with them also - had two boats full of divers; One group (mine) had a good experience. The other not so good. Some newly certified folks on the other boat encountered an impatient dm who couldn't locate a good reef with any visibility the first dive. The second dive was better.

My experience was the polar opposite! Rodrigo was our DM also (the youngest in Costa Maya I was told) who did an awesome job. No complaints from anyone on the boat. Suffice it to say, I'm a little hesitant to take another group diving there, but this sort of thing can happen with any dive operation in Mexico or the Caribbean. They are still a new dive op - hopefully they will establish a good reputation.

I have to echo what Suzi said.... I thoroughly enjoyed our dives with B.O.S. The vis could have been better but you can't control that... I was on Suzi's boat and Rodrigo was excellent and we had a great time.... Glad you did too... It's a young outfit and hopefully it will only get better....:D

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

Couple of questions - how did you get to their place, and what was the charge for diving?

Thanks!

Wendy

Couple of questions - how did you get to their place, and what was the charge for diving?

Thanks!

Wendy

My group made arrangements to dive with Blue Ocean's Safari - and we had transportation to get to the shop - sort of. On your own, you can take a cab to the dive shop. Prices were around $80 for two tanks.

Here is their website:

http://blueoceansafari.com/home.html

It appears to be a website in progress so there sin't much info there. But they have a very nice dive shop and keep the groups to a minimum on the boat.

Thanks!

Wendy

We walked past the white taxis and buses (think of them as cruise passenger shuttles to the edge of Majahaul). At the end of the road leading to the cruise terminal, there are a bunch of yellow taxis. It was not a bad walk, even with carrying our dive gear. They charged us $3 per person. The dive shop is located at the farthest end of Mahahaul, but only about a 10 min ride.

Since we were a group, they gave us a reduced rate of $65 for a 2 tank dive and $45 for the one tank dives.

jwmcq

How SMALL was the boat? And did it have a ladder for re-entry? Did you hand up gear first? More please about the boat....

We had about 6 divers per boat, but I think you can put 8 divers in comfortably. To get in the water, you do a back roll, to get back in the boat, there was a ladder - we took off our BC/tank and fins, then climbed up to get into the boat - very easy. We also had a videographer come along, but only one person bought the video.

The boats were no frills, but had a little shade. They had bottled water on the boats, I think, but they take you back to a beach front restaurant during surface interval time.

Suzi

So I assume they used a Panga type boat then??? Are there ANY Dive Ops the run with a cruiser type boat from there??

I've been to the Mayan Riviera a few times, and there are a few resorts up and down the coast that have larger boats. But most smaller dive ops will have these panga type boats. The dive sites are all less than 30 minutes away that they all frequent. You'd need a big boat to go to the Chinchorro banks, but that's a few hours from Majahual, not do-able while on a cruise.

We prefer these smaller, faster boats - six packs. The dive ops that the cruise lines use usually have nicer, larger boats, but I don't like having to contend with groups of 15-20 divers - I'd rather go out in a smaller boat with fewer divers. I know some people feel uncomfortable doing back flip entries, but once you learn how, it's really easy. Most dive ops in the Caribbean that we frequent, have small boats. The ones with larger boats (gas guzzlers) all seem to have to pack in the divers!

Good luck!

I'm with Suzi... I like the small boats.... Once I learned and got over my nervousness of a back roll...lol..... I'm used to larger dive boats out here in California where 10-25 divers are fighting for space and water... It's kind of crazy... It was a good group on our boat....:D

I know some people feel uncomfortable doing back flip entries, but once you learn how, it's really easy.

There is really no "learning" needed to do the back roll entry. Gravity does it for you! It was not difficult at all - the DM puts your tank outside the edge of the boat and on "3" you just lean back. With your BCD already inflated, you're ready to go. (I'm 41 years old and just learning to dive, so if I can do it, anyone can!)

On another port day we went out on a large boat with a group of about 20. I agree, I much prefer the smaller group - its just not as chaotic.

As for getting back in the boat, we handed our gear up and climbed up a ladder. I think that is much more simple that trying to get in a bigger boat with BC and tank still on.

I hope you enjoy your time diving!

Please dont get me wrong... I have NO PROBLEM with doing the back roll nor dumping my gear in the water to get back in the boat.... as a matter of fact, I prefer it. However, I was just thinking of the many many tourist who only dive once in a blue moon and who are not used to the sun and smaller boat. There is limited shade on the pangas or areas to stretch out in if you get sea sick. Which DOES happen to allot of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived