Back from The Wind

kebboli

Ok this might end up long and in parts but here I go-

DH and I just got back from The Wind 11 day cruise. We are in our 30's. We flew into Honolulu the day before, arrived at 2:30pm and stayed at The Park Shore Waikiki at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki Beach. I was at first worried and hoped that the hotel was going to be ok. I did research some online thru Expedia and stuff and look at ratings but I also didn't want to spend alot so this hotel had a higher rating for a 2 1/2 star hotel than the 3 stars and I found a partial ocean view for $99 plus tax so after several days off stressing on which hotel I figured I would take this one. Well it was good. It was small but it servfed its purpose and had a great view from the balcony of the beach and we would stay there again. We loved Waikiki Beach and walked all over up and down the strip shopping and stopped on the beach alot. The next morning we gor some Starbucks and went across the street to watch the sunset and all the surfers going out for the morning. It was a beautifaul sunny day and I would have loved to stay all day but we figured since check out was at noon we might as well just get a cab and go on to the port and get on the ship early and hang out on deck.

We arrived at the port and by about 12:30 we were on ship and wandering around. The ship was smaller than the other we have been on but seemed just fine, figured it would be easier to get around. We even got right in our room, it was all ready and ended up getting our luggage by about 3:30 or so. Met our room guys Justin and Arnold and just spent the rest of the day looking around and enjoying the day laying on deck. I also was to meet the only other person on our roll call Donnas so I put a note on her cabin to welcome her and we met her and her DH later and we all hung out for most of the evening and ended up turning in early the first night because we were all so tired. We ended up missing the first 2 nights of shows because of being tired.

Hilo - Once we got off ship we waited for Thrifty shuttles and ended being alot of us waiting so we didnt get on til the 3rd shuttle and then we had a long wait at the airport to get our car because Thrifty had alot of people renting. Some of the people got mad and stepped over to the Alamo line and rented. But we waited it out even though we didn't have alot of time in this port. We did get upgraded from an economy to a new mini van that was real nice for $35. So on we went to Volcano National Park for the day. My DH had a real good time here and I mostly planned it for him anyway. We spent alot of our time here and only had enough left to stop at Hilo Hatties and Sarbucks. We tried to go Walmart but it was so packed there were no parking spots anywhere. Then we got gas and it took alot more than we thought so we mentioned this when we took the car back and they credited us for it and were very very nice. Then on back to the ship for dinner. to be cont'd.

Ok we had a very long line to get back on ship but it once it started moving it was ok. We had made reservations for Le Bistro so we were back on ship by 4:00 or so and got dressed up to go. It was nice to actually get dressed up and have a nice dinner. I forgot to mention this is the first vacation for DH and I without the kids in about 16 years, and also our 2nd real vacation besides camping and a short hotel stay or so.

Anyway Le Bistro was excellent- go at 5:30 or 6pm and it is only $15 for two instead of each. After alot of great food and a walk on deck to see some Hula with Donnas we all went to bed early.

Lahaina, Maui - Went snorkeling thru NCL to Molokiki Crater. It is a little bit of a bus ride to get to the boat and then a nice boat ride to the crater. They talk to you about stuff and offer you under water cameras to rent or wet suits to rent etc... they also serve you juice and coffee and fruit, muffins, bagels and stuff to eat and give you your gear on the way. It was one of the best days they said for snorkeling. We had about an hour at the crater then moved to where the green sea turtles were and it was cooler and cloudy there so we only had about 30-45 minutes which was fine cause I was cold and they also served lunch and open bar of Mai Tai's. Had a great time and got some good sunning in. When we got back to town we walked alittle and decided to fo back to the boat shower and back to the Island for a bit before having to be on ship for the night.

2nd day Lahaina - took our time this am, got breakfast and went ashore about 11:30 walked alot all over ate icecream at Cold Stone then went to a beach down from pier past the schools in front of a Hoteal and shopping area called Whalers Village I think. water was great and sun was too, watched people taking surfing lessons. Later we ended up walking back into town and decided to see a movie...lol So we saw Wild Hogs...it was funny. Went to internet cafe and it was so slow we only got onbe email out in like 35 minutes...ugh. then just back to the ship and got ready and ate at the Italian Resterant which was good. NOTE... To do again we would of rented a car for the second day so we could site see more and find a better beach. cont'd

Ok am I giving to much little detail????? lol I'll try to shorten it down some......Then if anyone has any questions just ask......:)

Kauai - Well this day was my birthday!!:D We took several different shuttles around to shopping places. Walmart, Hilo Hatties, Kmart etc..

Got some real good Hawaiian donuts outside Kmart that were great and pretty cheap. You should have some. We walked around near the port area and by the beach in the fornt of the MArriott. You should really go in the gardens at the Marriott very beautiful and ponds and waterfall and lots of plants. Then we went on a one hour plane trip over the whole Island with airadventures. Billy and Donna are very nice and we had a good trip and took lots of great pics. Would go with them again, great price. I decided to go with them because with all the other costs the helicopter tours where alot more money but I have heard excellent stuff about them as well. Got soem sushi on the way back to the ship so we went to the back off the ship on deck 8, which was my DH favorite spot since he is a red head and dont lik ealot of sun. I most of the time was just above him on deck 9 at the back pool. For the rest of the night we just went to the Show and it was very good.

cont'd

sea days- sunny spent the days on the deck in the sun, reading, eating, doing the hawaiian crafts with June and others and then going to dinner and the shows and sometimes the games show or watching Kareoke in the Observatory on deck 12 forward.

Fanning - as I have said in other threads this was one of my favorite days and was not happy that we were late getting there and then only had 5 hours on the Island. Great beach, the water was wonderful. The people made and sold crafts and we were served food and had drinks etc.....by NCL. It was nice just laying on the beach or walking around a nice little Island and no hustle and bustle. It was great here I would go again anytime.

Kona - Well it was the last day and it was overcast and started to rain a little but I liked this Island. They do have a Hilo Hatties shuttle and if you to the right when you get out of the pier there is of course lots and lots of shopping. There were 2 small beachy areas right at the tender pier that a few people were at but like i said it wasn't sunny out.

All in All we had a GREAT time, it went way to fast and we didn't want to leave. Kauai and Kona were our favorite Islands over all. Lahaina was real nice too but more touristy busy busy. Loved seeing the whales. Fanning was great and we loved it and for as long as it takes to get there we should get to stay 2 days there. Unless you are a shopping and on the go person you will like it. Didn't think it was worth the extra money to go to the excursion side they had no food and no bathrooms we liked the fanning side and it didnt cost extra.

Any qusetions ask....thanks Hope it wasnt to long and boring..ALOHA:)

LOL you wouldn't believe how many people went to a walmart...they have good prices on sovineers(sp), Hawaiian stuff clothes and chocolates and macadamia. I also found some Hawaiian tanning oil that I wanted there that was cheaper than anywhere else. I didn't go to one on every Island but several ports had free shuttles to Walmart. Plus the you could walk to other places from there. Kmart I didn't go in I was just near it and they had the donuts out front being made so my DH wanted some.

Thanks Brenda!! You've been a big help with my questions. I thought I read your review though quickly and didn't see mention of whales until the end. I'll read it over again when I have time to see where you saw them. Thinking now about booking a whale watching tour in Lahaina. I "always" see whales on Maui in season.

Emi

Archived