Coughing up a lung on the plane

I had to check with my husband who is a nurse on the possibility of viral transmission through flatulence. Apparently aside from the stench the general public is mostly safe. The reason I said mostly is if the stench is truly coming from a stomach flu/diarrhea situation and loose fecal matter is released along with the fumes (aka the "wet fart") and seeps through the originator's garments onto a seat then another person touches the seat then their eyes, nose, or mouth, there could be a transfer of viral material. How's that for disgusting? Someone please hand me a handiwipe - I've got to fly to Philly on Monday.

Another thing that hubby mentioned is that as a whole, Americans are more flatulent than ever. Lactose intolerance is rising, the numbers of vegans/vegetarians is increasing, and we have a tendancy to eat foods high in fat content. All of these things lead to excessive flatulence, which leads to increases in greenhouse gases and global warming. OK - the last bit was meant to be over-the-top.

Next time you get stuck behind that gassy person, ask them if they are lactose intolerant or vegetarian. If they say no, you can tell them they need to cut back on their fat intake. It's a public service message.

Another good post to start my morning. I think this has been the number 1 post for me during my entire CC membership. Al Gore needs to be informed of the true cause of global warming! :D :p

I think I'm going to go one better....

While waiting to board the AOS on February 25/07 - we we were in the line up when we saw a family of 5 huddled around someone sitting on the pavement (also in the line). Next thing you know, a young girl (about 16) jumps up from the pavement - runs to the side of the port building - and just before she disappears around the corner we can see her vomit. Many other passengers waiting to board witnessed this as well. My DH who is ULTRA paranoid about sickness and anything related to it on cruise ships just about freaks out. So we are standing there....waiting to see what this girl is going to do next. The mother is now at the side of the building with the girl, and a few minutes later they walk back to the line-up arm in arm. By now the girl is all smiles.

My DH and I then have a conversation as to whether or not we should alert RCI staff to what we saw.......we cannot be sure she is carrying some sort of virus....perhaps it was something she ate the night before?? We decide not to say anything - rightly or wrongly.

At check in, there is a clear sign when you give you them your set sail pass that asks passengers who are suffering from any type of gastrointestinal issue to declare this to the RCI staff. We are now hoping that this family will share their information....

By the middle of the week, the staff in the Windjammer are serving us and it is obvious they are stepping up safety measures. Yes, there was some sort of outbreak that week ....how serious was it? We never did find out.

Moral of the story: If I EVER see anyone who vomits moments before boarding a ship, I will definitely alert RCI. I'm sorry we didn't :(

I think I'm going to go one better....

While waiting to board the AOS on February 25/07 - we we were in the line up when we saw a family of 5 huddled around someone sitting on the pavement (also in the line). Next thing you know, a young girl (about 16) jumps up from the pavement - runs to the side of the port building - and just before she disappears around the corner we can see her vomit. Many other passengers waiting to board witnessed this as well. My DH who is ULTRA paranoid about sickness and anything related to it on cruise ships just about freaks out. So we are standing there....waiting to see what this girl is going to do next. The mother is now at the side of the building with the girl, and a few minutes later they walk back to the line-up arm in arm. By now the girl is all smiles.

My DH and I then have a conversation as to whether or not we should alert RCI staff to what we saw.......we cannot be sure she is carrying some sort of virus....perhaps it was something she ate the night before?? We decide not to say anything - rightly or wrongly.

At check in, there is a clear sign when you give you them your set sail pass that asks passengers who are suffering from any type of gastrointestinal issue to declare this to the RCI staff. We are now hoping that this family will share their information....

By the middle of the week, the staff in the Windjammer are serving us and it is obvious they are stepping up safety measures. Yes, there was some sort of outbreak that week ....how serious was it? We never did find out.

Moral of the story: If I EVER see anyone who vomits moments before boarding a ship, I will definitely alert RCI. I'm sorry we didn't :(

Then you may condemn an innocent person. I am a migraine sufferer and will occasionally vomit when I have a full blown migraine, which I welcome as it usually signals the end of the episode. My migraines tend to come at the end of stressful events, i.e. getting to the ship and getting home. I did once throw up as soon as I got on board the ship, thank goodness someone like you didn't turn me in as it may have ruined my vacation.

CKRobyn-I know how you feel about seeing someone get sick - what do you do? I was on the Radiance last Feb sitting on deck 12 round the pool deck and a kid (10 ish) suddenly pukes all over the place in front of a full crowd. 3 or 4 seats away from me and y 2 kids...pretty gross but it happens. Mom took a few towels and mopped it up - left the nasty towels and took her son away. Decided we were done with that for a bit and headed to bingo. Guess who was there!?!? Bingo - you got it - the kid and his mom. My kids and I were shocked as the kid was sick and needed to be in bed. I did call the waitperson over and told her on the qt I wanted to report a sick person that had just thrown up 10 min ago by the pool...Did not see him for a few days. Felt bad but ...After that every time we saw him my kids ran...

Then you may condemn an innocent person. I am a migraine sufferer and will occasionally vomit when I have a full blown migraine, which I welcome as it usually signals the end of the episode. My migraines tend to come at the end of stressful events, i.e. getting to the ship and getting home. I did once throw up as soon as I got on board the ship, thank goodness someone like you didn't turn me in as it may have ruined my vacation.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

First of all, as you can see - I chose not to turn this person in, for the exact reasons you describe. I am not a medical doctor and decided not to take it upon myself to diagnose her condition. On the other hand, there was an outbreak on our sailing and I cannot help but wonder if perhaps this person was the beginning of it - putting 3500 passengers at risk. In the future, if someone vomits immediately before boarding the ship,and I witness it - I feel it should be reported. If the person is a migraine sufferer or has another explanation for vomiting moments before boarding - they can explain it to RCI.

CKRobyn-I know how you feel about seeing someone get sick - what do you do? I was on the Radiance last Feb sitting on deck 12 round the pool deck and a kid (10 ish) suddenly pukes all over the place in front of a full crowd. 3 or 4 seats away from me and y 2 kids...pretty gross but it happens. Mom took a few towels and mopped it up - left the nasty towels and took her son away. Decided we were done with that for a bit and headed to bingo. Guess who was there!?!? Bingo - you got it - the kid and his mom. My kids and I were shocked as the kid was sick and needed to be in bed. I did call the waitperson over and told her on the qt I wanted to report a sick person that had just thrown up 10 min ago by the pool...Did not see him for a few days. Felt bad but ...After that every time we saw him my kids ran...

OMG! This same thing happend to me on the Radiance this past November! Hmmmm....twice on the same ship.......LOL :rolleyes:

Reading this just gave me an idea!! Whenever I see a chair hog I will tell the waiter I just saw him / her throwing up in a hallway. By the end of the cruise I can have all of the best poolside chairs to myself.:D :D

Just because you "throw up" does not mea you are going to be quarantined to your cabin - they test your for norovirus. FYI.

I believe real time testing is done via stool sample. What if you're fresh out or have shy bowels??

I was on a recent flight from Miami to Ft. Myers, American Eagle. We took a bus from the terminal to the plane and had to wait to board the plane. We learned that there was some poo on a seat :eek: , and that the clean-up crew had to come out to disinect the seats involved.

The thing is, they blocked the seats on that flight from Miami to Ft. Myers so no one sat there.

I wonder if they did that on the next leg?

YEECH!!! Makes you want to bring a sanitary protector for each and every airline seat you sit in.....:eek:

YEECH!!! Makes you want to bring a sanitary protector for each and every airline seat you sit in.....:eek:

This is off topic but I think the same thing on the rare occassion that I go to a movie theater - about the head rests. I wonder what kid with a head lice infested head sat in that seat before me. The same thought does cross my mind on airplanes but at least they have vinyl head rests.

I think these things - but it doesn't keep me from going places.

This is off topic but I think the same thing on the rare occassion that I go to a movie theater - about the head rests. I wonder what kid with a head lice infested head sat in that seat before me. The same thought does cross my mind on airplanes but at least they have vinyl head rests.

It's DVD's at home for me, from now on :eek:

It's DVD's at home for me, from now on :eek:

Then you need to ask yourself where the previous renters hands were just before he / she took the movie out of the DVD player :eek: :eek: I feel an itch!!!

I had to check with my husband who is a nurse on the possibility of viral transmission through flatulence. Apparently aside from the stench the general public is mostly safe. The reason I said mostly is if the stench is truly coming from a stomach flu/diarrhea situation and loose fecal matter is released along with the fumes (aka the "wet fart") and seeps through the originator's garments onto a seat then another person touches the seat then their eyes, nose, or mouth, there could be a transfer of viral material. How's that for disgusting? Someone please hand me a handiwipe - I've got to fly to Philly on Monday.

Another thing that hubby mentioned is that as a whole, Americans are more flatulent than ever. Lactose intolerance is rising, the numbers of vegans/vegetarians is increasing, and we have a tendancy to eat foods high in fat content. All of these things lead to excessive flatulence, which leads to increases in greenhouse gases and global warming. OK - the last bit was meant to be over-the-top.

Next time you get stuck behind that gassy person, ask them if they are lactose intolerant or vegetarian. If they say no, you can tell them they need to cut back on their fat intake. It's a public service message.

While I have no doubt about the information you provide.......sometimes you can just provide TOO much information:)

Another good post to start my morning. I think this has been the number 1 post for me during my entire CC membership. Al Gore needs to be informed of the true cause of global warming! :D :p

Can you see THAT speech now before the National Press Club?:D

Then you need to ask yourself where the previous renters hands were just before he / she took the movie out of the DVD player :eek: :eek: I feel an itch!!!

UUUUUGH! You guys are killin' me here! :eek:

This is off topic but I think the same thing on the rare occassion that I go to a movie theater - about the head rests. I wonder what kid with a head lice infested head sat in that seat before

If it makes you feel any better, catching head lice that way is HIGHLY unlikely.

I agree! Life is too short to spend much time worryign about head lice, the common cold, who has touched what etc... all that worrying, just to get knocked down by a bus tomorrow - better to get on and enjoy today :)

Boo

I agree! Life is too short to spend much time worryign about head lice, the common cold, who has touched what etc... all that worrying, just to get knocked down by a bus tomorrow - better to get on and enjoy today :)

Boo

Right ON! (I guess that gives my generation away:p ) The stuff about the airplane seat really got to me because I am in so many of them that I bet this has happened to me in the past and didn't know it. I sit on the seat, and......who knows what I get! Anyway, resonable precautions are the rule for the day....it isn't possible to take care of any eventuality. It is a risk to live......so.......live, because the risk doesn't go away.

Archived