Coughing up a lung on the plane

Right ON! (I guess that gives my generation away:p ) The stuff about the airplane seat really got to me because I am in so many of them that I bet this has happened to me in the past and didn't know it. I sit on the seat, and......who knows what I get! Anyway, resonable precautions are the rule for the day....it isn't possible to take care of any eventuality. It is a risk to live......so.......live, because the risk doesn't go away.

Yep, life is hazardous to your health.:)

I believe real time testing is done via stool sample. What if you're fresh out or have shy bowels??

Well, since it's been postulated that cruise ships do now have the equipment to test for norovirus, I don't think this will be a problem. Most people with Norovirus don't have the any difficulty providing a stool specimen since that's what they spend the majority of their day doing anyway.:p

I've had it (and really, who hasn't at some point) and it's definitely no fun.

Well, since it's been postulated that cruise ships do now have the equipment to test for norovirus, I don't think this will be a problem. Most people with Norovirus don't have the any difficulty providing a stool specimen since that's what they spend the majority of their day doing anyway.:p

I've had it (and really, who hasn't at some point) and it's definitely no fun.

But if you don't have it and you have to prove your innocence to keep from being quarantined then what? I personally would have a hard time defecating in a cup for someone regardless of how sick I am. Or do they use a stick with a slot cut out of it like the vet, insert deep, pull out and scrape the stuff out of the slot. :eek:

I don't believe I have ever had Norovirus, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Actually, I did have food poisoning once and it was the worst experience of my life. It took me years to be able to even smell Chinese food with getting nauseated.

If it makes you feel any better, catching head lice that way is HIGHLY unlikely.

As the mother for 4 grown children, I'm VERY familiar with how these things get around....I can tell you about pin worms, too, if you'd like. :eek: :D That hasn't even been brought up here yet. I will refrain from giving details. :)

But if you don't have it and you have to prove your innocence to keep from being quarantined then what? I personally would have a hard time defecating in a cup for someone regardless of how sick I am. Or do they use a stick with a slot cut out of it like the vet, insert deep, pull out and scrape the stuff out of the slot. :eek:

I don't believe I have ever had Norovirus, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Actually, I did have food poisoning once and it was the worst experience of my life. It took me years to be able to even smell Chinese food with getting nauseated.

Don't worry, there's no stool samples being forced out of people with sticks. I imagine if one vomits once from having a migraine, this can be determined without too much fanfare. Sea sickness also usually just involves nausea and doesn't occur at the terminal before boarding. If seas are really rough, it's not like they're not going to believe someone who says they are seasick vs. having noro. Someone who's vomiting and experiencing diarrhea as well would probably be considered to likely have noro and might indeed be denied boarding or quarantined for a day or two. They have to consider the greater good over individual needs.

If cruise ships were denying boarding to people willy nilly we'd be hearing about it.

Most people have had noro, but probably called it "stomach flu" or a "stomach bug." Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea episodes affect most people at some point in their lives. If you've never had it, well, you're very lucky. Just keep doing what you're doing, it's working well for you.

P.S. I'm a nurse and I've taken many a stool sample from patients. Never once asked anyone to defecate in a cup, nor have I ever had to insert any objects to obtain a sample. Without getting any more graphic than that, just trust me when I say it's noninvasive and not that big of a deal.

Dont always assume that someone coughing will get you sick. My wife has Cystic Fribrosis and had a double lung transplant. She coughes often, and it sound terrible. She is NOT contagious. The other "healthy" people on board are more of a risk to her due to her immune system, or lack thereof.

If you are germ-a-phobic wear a mask. Anywhere and everywhere you go, including cruise ships are a fester for germs and bacteria.

Should someone cancel there vacation because they woke up with a sinus infection, cold, etc. Plane tickets are expensive and the companies will not reinburst you cuz of a cold.

AGAIN....we are only talking about the actually sick people - we would like THEM to wear masks on planes....no one said cancel your cruise or plane tickets.

no need to be so defensive

ANYONE GO ON A PLANE WITH FLESH EATING BACTERIA? EWWWW! :D now those people should cancel their trip!

AGAIN: we were not talking about your wife...although she is ill...she is not contagious.

I think the thing is that it can be truly difficult to tell whether someone is infectious or not:

- i.e. the difference between someone "coughing up a lung" because they have some nasty chest infection or because they have cystic fibrosis.

- i.e. someone disoriented, clammy and throwing up because they are drunk or have infected kidney stones.

- i.e. someone with naussea and throwing up because they have a stomach bug or because they are pregnant.

I think that people jump to conclusions very quickly: from some of the replies here (maybe not you specifically), but the first sign or a cough (or someone taking their shoes off) and that person should be ejected from the airplane mid-flight... :eek:

Boo

Thank you Boo Boo, that is the point I was trying to make. I was simply sharing a personal situation to prove that people are not always contagious when they appear to be.

I was simply giving giving input to the topic, as I thought was wanted.

DSTPAM1, I did not intend to get into any type of debate with you. However I do not appreciate the condecending "tone" of the AGAIN comments. It comes across rude and superior.

Poor veryhotred, I feel for you :(

My mother had something similar... well she wasn't pregnant, but she was became very ill on a 2+ hour flight. She was incoherent, throwing up, sweaty, generally looking incredibly rough. People actually thought that she was very drunk or sick. She got no help for anybody, not even the cabin crew - infact they wouldn't even conceal the disgust in her state and wouldn't help arrange any transport (like a wheelchair) from the gate to help her out. Well she wasn't drunk OR contagious, she had very bad kidney stones - that was what was causing the symptoms. She was incredibly ill (no fault of her own), in a lot of pain, nobody would help and people were actually very nasty to her... Disgusting behaviour from all around! So people should NEVER be too quick to judge...

That is AWFUL and disgraceful that no one would help you mother!!! I have flown some airlines that would not help me in similar ways and to me that is not okay! I have a friend who gets kidney stones and she gets very ill feeling and throw up and I cannot imagine her on an airplane. I think if I was your Mom I would have written a complaint letter to the airlines, they should have done what they could-bring her some water and at least get her a wheelchair. Sometimes businesses nowadays forget what customer service is, even just the little things make a difference but the little things are not given anymore! Oh this just steams me and it isn't even my mom...sorry your Mom had to go through this! :mad:

Archived