Friends of Bill W.--anyone ever attended?

Kingwood2197

Congrats to you!!!! :p It's hard to overcome an addiction, so hats off to you.

Not sure how the turn out is at these meetings on board, but they have had the meetings every Carnival cruise I've been on.

Happy cruising!

Been on 3 cruises so far and have only had meetings on the Glory at Christmas. They were awesome on that cruise.

On the Fascination last month they were scheduled at 7:30 (during our dinner) and in the very public library. No one ever seemed to show up.

We would just go and think some sober thoughts and keep it in the day.;)

A year ago my wife and I took a seven day cruise on the Conquest, when a friend asked us to join them on the cruise. But, he "forewarned" me that his brother-in-law and wife would also be coming along, and that the guy was a jerk and a "drunk" ! Well, the "drunk" was even nicer and more fun than our friend. I decided to attend a Friends of Bill meeting, and, lo and behold, there was the "drunk" ! The two of us laughed 'til we cried and we both had the best cruise we ever had. Come to find out we both had about the same years of sobriety. Just last month we returned from a cruise on the Spirit, and were so occupied, I never took the time to go to a meeting; and regret not doing so. I guarantee, a Friends of Bill meeting on a cruise ship will be a memory you'll never forget.

Kingwood, congrats to you! I have to say, I have actually seen the meetings posted in the Capers before (at least I am fairly certain that I have) but I never knew what "Friends of Bill W" was until I joined this message board about 2 weeks ago. I wonder if people don't go to the meetings because they simply don't know what they are??? I've been on 4 cruises, all with Carnival, and have never known what they were until I read it here in a message recently. If Carnival could put out a discreet message or explanation somewhere, that would be ideal. Nothing to set off bells and whistles--just something that is discreet and respectful. I'm not sure how they currently handle it, so I guess I can't say that they don't already put out a discreet message.....Good luck to you with your next cruise and your next set of meetings. I hope they turn out well for you and keep up the good work!

Hi there--I'm in recovery and have been for a while. I cruise quite a bit but haven't ever seen anyone come to the meeting. I know it's a cruise.... but it's always nice to have a meeting. thanks

Just to let you know. Just to start good for you on your quest. I still drink but that is not the point. I have been on 18 cruises and every line has the friends of Bill W. meetings. They put them in the daily activities papers. They are always well attended. I always see a good group of folks there.......

Personally, I have never been to a bad meeting, anywhere. It doesn't matter that it's in the library. Who cares! Go, you won't regret it. You may even meet a new friend-for-life. Just my one other comment, as others have mentioned: it's best if you have a late dinner seating, as you may have a hard time making it to both. Namaste, Elaine

until i read this thread i never once noticed that these mtgs have been held aboard any line i've cruised, including carnival. but, obvioulsly they are. what a wonderful thing to have! hats off and kudos to the industry for providing these services for the benefit of their guests who are in recovery.

until i read this thread i never once noticed that these mtgs have been held aboard any line i've cruised, including carnival. but, obvioulsly they are. what a wonderful thing to have! hats off and kudos to the industry for providing these services for the benefit of their guests who are in recovery.

I have been on cruises with Princess and NCL and have attended meetings on both of them, Many thanks to the cruiselines for offering the space. To newcomers to both cruising and recovery the meetings are vital as the thought of a cruise without booze can be a scary thing to some, however i've found it to be a very safe place and enjoy the meetings very much. My experience is that only one or two people usually show up however in one instance the meeting was essential and i was particularly glad I attended. My advise is definately go cruising, someone will be there for a meeting !! thanks Tom

I have been on cruises with Princess and NCL and have attended meetings on both of them, Many thanks to the cruiselines for offering the space. To newcomers to both cruising and recovery the meetings are vital as the thought of a cruise without booze can be a scary thing to some, however i've found it to be a very safe place and enjoy the meetings very much. My experience is that only one or two people usually show up however in one instance the meeting was essential and i was particularly glad I attended. My advise is definately go cruising, someone will be there for a meeting !! thanks Tom

best wishes to you and all who are working so hard toward your goal. and BTW, you're going to LOVE the Elation. i thought the crew on that ship was one of the best crews i've ever been with!

Archived