Holiday Inn Express San Juan

Hey there!! I live in Ponce, PR, and Ponce is located south of PR... if you plan to spend the night before the cruise, it would be an option, as the piers are located in San Juan... it's an hour and a half to two-hour drive from Ponce to San Juan at taxi speed.

I have note heard anything about the Holiday Inn, but the Comfort Inn is not too great I have read. There should be a lot of reviews if you search for them or Adventure reviews. We are sailing AOS next September and I am thinking of staying at the Hampton Inn. But I have ntoe heard any feedback on that hotel either.

I booked the Holiday Inn Express in San Juan for a one night before the cruise on Dec.4th. I'll give you a review on it if I do the cruise before you. We're arriving late and just need a bed for the night. As long as it's clean its fine with us!!!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in San Juan last January the night before our cruise. It had been recently refurbished, so it was fine. It is nothing fancy but was clean and a decent place to stay overnight. There were several others on our cruise staying there as well. I would stay there again if cruising out of San Juan. Also, we stayed using our priority club points, so we were definitely pleased.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in San Juan last January the night before our cruise. It had been recently refurbished, so it was fine. It is nothing fancy but was clean and a decent place to stay overnight. There were several others on our cruise staying there as well. I would stay there again if cruising out of San Juan. Also, we stayed using our priority club points, so we were definitely pleased.

danajjj,

I am booked at Holiday Inn Express in Jan. '05. Is the location close enough to Old San Juan and the ship pier, or is a longer distance. The web site for H.I.E. shows only a few miles to airport, pier etc.

Just would like opinion from someone who's "been there & done that"

Thanks

Here's Great News On Hotels In San Juan!!!

Donna and I are flying in Friday night (but we don't get there until around 10:00pm). Anyway...... getting in so late, we couldn't justify spending a lot on a hotel and had decided to limit ourselves to that "under $100" mark. With worrying about "dumps" and "unsafe", I did a lot of research trying to find best values.

Thanks to these boards, I found out about bidding on priceline for the resorts. I went there and got the Hyatt Dorado Beach Resort (usually for $300 - $480 per night) with a bid of $70!!! That's right!

It ends up being $85.73 with taxes, but if you want a good deal on a really nice hotel, I can't think of anything better than that.

We reserved a room today at the Holiday Inn Express for our cruise in January on the Empress. We have stayed twice at the Wyndham Old San Juan (which we love), but the cheapest rate I could get there was $265.00 a night. We reserved the Holiday Inn for $125.00 a night (AAA) with no cancelation penalty. You can prepay for $112.00, but there are no refunds at that price.

I hear they also have a free continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express?

danajjj,

I am booked at Holiday Inn Express in Jan. '05. Is the location close enough to Old San Juan and the ship pier, or is a longer distance. The web site for H.I.E. shows only a few miles to airport, pier etc.

Just would like opinion from someone who's "been there & done that"

Thanks

If I remember correctly the Holiday Inn Express was about a 15-20 min. taxi ride from the airport and about a 10 min. ride to the piers in Old San Juan and to the Panama pier. It's not that the distances were very far but it took that long to get through the traffic congestion. The taxis are regulated and have a preset fee. There were usually several taxis waiting for passengers outside the entrance of the hotel. If not, the hotel front desk will call one for you.

mamahugs...When we arrived they did not have us listed as using priority club points. This was also a problem for several others checking in. This was not too much of a problem but was something we had to spend a few minutes straightening out with the manager. Just wanted to make you aware in case you have a similar experience.

We arrived early enough to explore Old San Juan and had dinner at the Wyndham hotel. It was nice eating and having a view of the cruise ships. We actually departed from the Panama pier which is not in Old San Juan. You have a nice view of this pier on the ride from the hotel to Old San Juan. The next morning, we walked around the Condado and sat on the beach for a while before heading to the pier. The beach is a short walking distance from the hotel.

Anyone know where the Empress docks? Is it near AOS or further up?

Also, if you are leery of using Priceline, "El Canario by the Sea" is a really nice, small, clean place at $110 per night. It's right next to Marriott. Don't get this one mixed up with Canario by the Lagoon, or Canario Inn, on Ashford...not as nice as "Canario by the Sea". All in the Condado area.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Jan. I would not stay there again. I will spend a few more $ and stay in a better hotel.

I suppose if you are arriving late and only want a bed to crash in then it would be alright for you. The continential breakfast was good.

DHADEN, being a Puerto Rico local, I am ENVIOUS about the price you got for the Dorado!!! The only thing is that it is far from San Juan, maybe like a 45-minute to an hour drive to San Juan... but you WILL be on vacation, so what the heck... LOL!

I am also considering doing the Priceline thing... any ideas??

Twilite, I believe the Empress docks near Pier 6, which is right in fron of the Puerto Rico Treasury Dept. building, or maybe a bit farther up the pieras across the Wyndham old San Juan. The AOS docks on the Panamerican Pier, which would be across the bay where the Ribas Dominnicci (Isla Grande) Airport is located...

I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER FOR MY CRUISE!!!!!

:(

I stayed in the Holiday Inn express last Feb and it was just OK but then again the Comfort Inn next door was worse. To me for the money they are both rip offs but what choice do to you have? IF I ever stay in San Juan again it will likey be at the Wyndham. First room I got at the Holiday smelled like mildrew and I had to be moved. The breakfast is not much to write home about either so you will be hungry when you get to the ship. Like I said though, my friends stayed at the Comfort (I stayed there one night) and it was a dump. In case you are wandering, I decided to go to the Holiday for a little nicer place after one night at that Comfort Inn. It seems you just don't get much hotel for you money there so I guess you will have to either pay big bucks or live with something that is just so so. For just one night you should be able to survive. Oh one more word of advise, don't eat at that Wendy's near there. That place had the absolute worst service of any fast food place I have ever been and the food was cold. There was a local place around there that had tables inside and outside that wasn't too bad.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all for your posting. I guess I'll stick with the Holiday Inn...we're getting in late and just needed a place to crash.

Danajjj - I'll be sure to bring my confirmation slip and confirm my reservation before I depart for the cruise.

Archived