Friends Of Dorthy?

interestedparty

Saw the great thread about Friends of Bill W, and great reading of everyones success.

But i was on carnival last year and they also had a "friends of dorthy" meeting,

might I ask, what is that meeting about?

:confused:

Christopher Lowell and Rosie

The Dorothy reference is to the Wizard of Oz. A huge icon in the gay world

Actually I believe it's Judy Garland who played in the Wizard of Oz.

Once again, a thread actually more useful to non-GLBT folks, in this case explaining what Friends of Dorothy means, is moved into the "Gay & Lesbian Cruisers" forum, where it will now pretty much just be seen by people who probably already know what a Friend of Dorothy is. :rolleyes:

Once again, a thread actually more useful to non-GLBT folks, in this case explaining what Friends of Dorothy means, is moved into the "Gay & Lesbian Cruisers" forum, where it will now pretty much just be seen by people who probably already know what a Friend of Dorothy is. :rolleyes:

This thread would have been helpful in the education of those who really want to know and care.

This isnt the first time in recent months this has happened.

I guess we have to be kept in our place. :D

This thread would have been helpful in the education of those who really want to know and care.

This isnt the first time in recent months this has happened.

I guess we have to be kept in our place. :D

actually, all stupid jokes aside, i would have like to learn more....my fiance's brother happens to be gay, and I am wanting to understand more things from his perspective because he/i are going to be family.

ps. it ticked me off that they moved my post, what is the big deal about talking about this

:)

The reference most likely comes from Dorothy Parker. People today usually associate it with the Wizard of Oz, but it appears that the Dorothy Parker reference is older. She was known to have a lot of flamboyantly Gay friends.

i am going to show my ignorance, what the heck is the dorthy reference?:(

While there are plenty of enlightened people on earth, there are a few on CC who aren't so enlightened. The last time someone started a thread about Gays and Lesbians on the Carnival board it turned into a free for all where some of the people forgot to listen to their inside voice which would have told them that it just wasn't appropriate to write it, in public, on CC.

actually, all stupid jokes aside, i would have like to learn more....my fiance's brother happens to be gay, and I am wanting to understand more things from his perspective because he/i are going to be family.

ps. it ticked me off that they moved my post, what is the big deal about talking about this

:)

In the old days that is how gay people identified each other. They would ask "are you a friend of Dorothy?" (Yes in reference to Wizard of Oz)

This was in the days when people really had to hide their identitys.

Perhaps an older person on this board could be a little more specific.

From Wikipedia:

In gay slang, a friend of Dorothy is a term for a gay man.

The term dates back to a time in the early 20th century when homosexuality was against the law in both the United Kingdom and in the United States. Saying at a social gathering that another man was a "friend of Dorothy" was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without other people knowing what you were discussing.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community.

Starting in the late 1980s, on several cruise lines, gay passengers began approaching ship staff, asking them to publicise gatherings in the daily cruise activity list. As the cruise lines were hesitant to announce such things so blatantly in their daily publications, they would list the gathering as a "Meeting of the Friends of Dorothy".

From Wikipedia:

In gay slang, a friend of Dorothy is a term for a gay man.

The term dates back to a time in the early 20th century when homosexuality was against the law in both the United Kingdom and in the United States. Saying at a social gathering that another man was a "friend of Dorothy" was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without other people knowing what you were discussing.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community.

Starting in the late 1980s, on several cruise lines, gay passengers began approaching ship staff, asking them to publicise gatherings in the daily cruise activity list. As the cruise lines were hesitant to announce such things so blatantly in their daily publications, they would list the gathering as a "Meeting of the Friends of Dorothy".

thanks, that helps......

Actually it is not a "meeting", as there is usually not a person in charge, no agenda, no minutes, no secretary, no timeline, but more of a social gathering to meet others. Sometimes the ship will have a staff member be a host or hostess to break the ice and help people mingle. I am not sure if that "host/hostess" is a voluntary position or if the Cruise Director has anything to do with it.

It is a great way to meet others in a comfortable, social setting. I've been to some where a number of the ships staff/officers have been in attendance. Depending on the policy :rolleyes: of the cruiseline, the ship, and/or the Cruise Director, the announcement of such a gathering is automatically in the daily paper, can be requested by a passenger, or, in the case of RCI (as of recent), is on a bulletin board.

Great explaination, GoinCruisin! Ephram, I think you are correct about the Dorothy Parker reference. I think it started out that way but most people assume the reference is to Dorothy of Oz fame, as they did not know who DP was and the Judy Garland reference, being more widely known, stuck (that is what I've heard from my older friends - a source of much facinating history.

I find it interesting that this thread was started on the Carnival board and moved here.

On the RCI board there is a thread all about a gay cruise and guess what? It's still there. :confused:

Tells us a little something about the mod's on the different boards I guess. :rolleyes:

I thought icons were on my Windows desktop.

icon

/ikon/

noun 1 (also ikon) a devotional painting of Christ or another holy figure, typically on wood, venerated in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches. 2 a person regarded with particular admiration or as a representative symbol. 3 Computing a symbol or graphic representation on a VDU screen of a program, option, or window.

I assume that means that you think that a chevron is an oil company.

Can a straight go to a FOD meeting?

Absolutely Derf!

We always cruise with a straight couple and they love to attend the gatherings with us. I have never seen one with an agenda and it is just a social gathering of friends.

We would be more than happy to see you and the Derfette at our next conclave.

Mike:)

I'm new around here, and I'm not sure how politically correct it is to question moderators, but I concur that it's crazy that this thread got moved from the Carnival forum to here (and it almost borders on homophobic).

Questions about kids on the Carnival ships aren't automatically moved to the "Family cruising" board, nor are questions on single supplements moved to the "Solo cruisers" board.

Can the moderator of the Carnival forum explain why he or she felt the need to quickly move this thread? I'm hoping it was just a momentary lapse in judgment.

(Edited to add -- I see that one of the moderators on the Carnival board is someone who posts on this board a lot. So perhaps it was just an honest opinion of where the thread should go. But I am curious to hear the reasoning).

I'm new around here, and I'm not sure how politically correct it is to question moderators, but I concur that it's crazy that this thread got moved from the Carnival forum to here (and it almost borders on homophobic).

Maybe it should have been named

Carnival's "Friends of Dorothy?

Archived