Embraer 170

cruiseram

I fly the small regional jets all the time. The legroom is fine. You actually have a little more elbow room than a regular jet since there are two seats on each side of the aisle instead of three. They are jets, so they are not loud like the turbo-props. If it is windy, you may feel a little more motion than you would in a larger plane.

The overhead bins are small. If you bring a rollaboard bag, they will give you a tag to check it planeside and they will give it back to you planeside when you land (no need to go to baggage claim). Just remember that if you have a connecting flight, you WILL need to pick up your gate-checked luggage because it will not be transferred to your next flight. (It will be transferred if you check it at ticketing).

we flew on one from atlanta to cleveland, i was a bit nervous myself they seem so small , you have to walk out to the plane to get on , there was a another couple we meet on our flight to our cruise and they where from the same area as us, his wife was really scared ,when we boarded he said that the plane looked so cute and tiny but ill tell you what you have nothing to worry about at all. i dont like flying to begin with but ill tell you it was the best flight i ever been on, its the smoothest and most safe aircraft out there (i read that somewhere) so dont worry at all you will be ok

Just to be clear, there is a big difference between the Embraer 135/140/145 series (what most people think of when you think "regional jet" - those that are in the 1x2 seating mode (the Canadair Regional Jet series is in 2x2 mode)) and the Embraer 170/190 series.

The Embraer 170/190 series is more like a mini Boeing 737 than anything else. Seating is 2x2, often with a first class section, cabins are approx. 6 feet tall, the overhead bins can accommodate a carry-on suitcase. Nothing "regional" about it besides its name.

The easy way to tell the difference between the 2 series is that the Embraer 135/140/145 series has the engines at the back of the plane attached to the fuselage where-as the 170/190 series has the engines mounted under the wings as well as by the seating layout.

But on either, the ride is great and you have nothing to worry about.

I've only flown the smaller 140/145 and I felt like Gulliver if you remember the story. Never, never, never again. I will avoid those and probably the Embraer name plate in total like the plague. Just too many choices.

I've only flown the smaller 140/145 and I felt like Gulliver if you remember the story. Never, never, never again. I will avoid those and probably the Embraer name plate in total like the plague. Just too many choices.

If it's any consolation, there is a subtle shift in the airline industry of now moving away from the smaller regional jets (the EMB 135/140/145 series and the CRJ 200/700/900 series) to the larger regional jets (the EMB 170/190 series).

I agree, the small regional jets are not comfortable for anything more than about a 500-750 mile flight. The larger ones though are quite comfortable, quite comparable to flying on a MD-80 (the backbone of American's domestic fleet) or the Boeing 717 (the backbone of AirTran's fleet).

But before lumping the Embraer name plate in the same pile as the Ford Edsel, remember what the alternative was before the regional jet came along -the old dirty, noisy, & death-defying turbo-props! I'll take an RJ over one of the old turbo-props any day of the week.

JJP. B717. Now that is an airplane. I really wish Boeing hadn't shut down the production line, but I'm sure they're smarter than me. I think AirTran has the largest fleet of the B717. And their B737-700 are pretty nice too. Lots better than the MD 80 they used to fly.

Archived