~The Ultimate Carnival Beverage Thread~

KBD627

How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?

• No effect I never bring beverages on board.
    • I will strictly follow it. I follow all of carnival's rules.
    • I'm a past smuggler will now smuggle non-alcohol too.
    • I will now join the smugglers.

Does Bon Voyage deliver cases of beer? Or can you buy a bucket of unopened beer from the bar to take back to your stateroom? If I decide to cruise it will be in a balcony stateroom and I would expect to be able to sit on my balcony and have a beer if I so desire.

Sure, but they are the same prices you would pay on the ship, so you might as well just buy them on the ship... yes, you can get the beers unopened...

I'm not reading all 22 pages of these posts, so excuse me if someone else has already pointed this out.

Having just returned from March Break Princess Cruise where there were huge numbers of drunk young adults (17+ I'm guessing), I think this policy change is in answer to underage drinkers smuggling alcohol onboard in supposedly non-alcoholic drink containers. It happens a lot and considering the numbers of people falling/jumping overboard these days, it is completely understandable that Cruise lines are trying to deal with this situation.

Having said that, it's too bad that it has come to that. I'll admit to smuggling 2 boxes of wine and one bottle of scotch onboard for cocktail parties in our room (yes, I am of legal drinking age). We also brought two cases of bottled water (yes, it WAS water) for visits ashore. And, because we bought wine at dinner, and fancy drinks at the pool, and pre-dinner cocktails in the bar, and a cocktail in the nightclub, our onboard bill was huge, so I don't feel guilty at all (just real happy during my cruise :) )

I'm expecting Princess to follow shortly with the same policy changes.

Or can you buy a bucket of unopened beer from the bar to take back to your stateroom?
I know with the bottled beer they opened every one - they said they HAD to. Don't know if it has something to do with the bottle opener or what. Has anyone experienced anything different (in reference to bottled beer)?

I know with the bottled beer they opened every one - they said they HAD to. Don't know if it has something to do with the bottle opener or what. Has anyone experienced anything different (in reference to bottled beer)?

Funny, they ask me how many to open. When I was in a deck chair he even offered to come back later and open the other ones. :confused:

If on the off chance they get sticky, tell them you are taking it back to your room. The bottle opener is in the bathroom for a reason.

ETA If you are talking about glass bottles, they have to be opened and poured into glasses on the Lido deck as no glass is allowed. I was talking about the Bud Aluminium bottles.

Funny, they ask me how many to open. When I was in a deck chair he even offered to come back later and open the other ones. :confused:

If on the off chance they get sticky, tell them you are taking it back to your room. The bottle opener is in the bathroom for a reason.

ETA If you are talking about glass bottles, they have to be opened and poured into glasses on the Lido deck as no glass is allowed. I was talking about the Bud Aluminium bottles.

Now I'm confused - yes they did open them and put them into cups - we couldn't keep the bottles - so I giess I'm confused as to why you were confused about my answer. This was on the Lido desk so I guess if you were buying them someplace other then you could ask for them to stay closed.

Again - it seems if someone asks a question you will get several different answers - not that any of them are wrong - just different ship, different time, different bar help. So many thing to factor in.

Just be prepared either way if buying glass - cans was no problem.

Now I'm confused - yes they did open them and put them into cups - we couldn't keep the bottles - so I giess I'm confused as to why you were confused about my answer. This was on the Lido desk so I guess if you were buying them someplace other then you could ask for them to stay closed.

Because in your first post you never said anything about them being poured. I would have known right away you were talking about glass bottles instead of aluminum bottles. No biggie.

Because in your first post you never said anything about them being poured. I would have known right away you were talking about glass bottles instead of aluminum bottles. No biggie.
No I didn't say they were poured but I did say bottled beer a couple of times.

No big deal. Did forget that they do carry the plastic bottles of Miller Lite and they won't open all of them.

Earlier in this thread someone said that the bottled water Carnival sells is Evian.

I knew that was wrong when I read it, but couldn't remember the name of the brand.

The brand Carnival sells is visible in this picture from Wennfred.

It is clearly not Evian.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9618622&postcount=5

THE BRAND IS CRYSTAL GEYSER, GOOD STUFF...BUY IT MOST OFTEN HERE AT HOME.

And they actually serve GOOD meals!!! We got 3 meals on our flight, several choices and they were all very good, considering it was "airplane food"

The folks from NC sure do a heap of traveling!

The folks from NC sure do a heap of traveling!

LOL, it was my one and only (so far) trip to Australia! LOL! I couldn't handle that flight too many times... I typically think 7 hours is a long flight :p But it was well worth it!!!!!!!

I would like to know if they are cracking down on this supposedly to control the drinking and make your cruise experience better will they also crack down on the other policies they are so lax about? To make my cruise experience better I would like to see the dress code enforced and the kids kept out of the hot tubs and make sure the platinum guests get all their perks. If they are going to follow the letter of their policy on this they had better uphold the rest of their policies not just the ones that will make them more money. Cindy

I would like to know if they are cracking down on this supposedly to control the drinking and make your cruise experience better will they also crack down on the other policies they are so lax about? To make my cruise experience better I would like to see the dress code enforced and the kids kept out of the hot tubs and make sure the platinum guests get all their perks. If they are going to follow the letter of their policy on this they had better uphold the rest of their policies not just the ones that will make them more money. Cindy

I agree 100%!!

None of those things are in the cruise contract so I'm gonna guess no.

Sasysutler,

We would love to meet with you let us know what time. I had heard on channel 6 news that carnival had decided to prohibit all carry on beverages, but I have gone to their web sight and have not found anything else on about it so I don't know what to tell you other than to wait and see.

Betty and Don

I have gone to their web sight and have not found anything else on about it so I don't know what to tell you other than to wait and see

Carnival FAQ

Can I Bring Liquor On Board? spacer.gif A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club.

Any additional quantity of wine/champagne or any alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

And from the new cruise contract.

(f). Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation.

Hi folks,

Just wanted to check in and say that I was allowed my beverages (Diet Pepsi and bottled water) on the Miracle and had no problem doing so. As a matter of fact, one suitcase was checked thru with only snorkeling fins and the beverages. My room stewardess also emptied the refrigerator so that I could put in the drinks.

I took 18 24 oz. Diet Pepsi's and a six pack of bottled water. I will note that I will no longer be a Carnival cruiser if the soft drink ban does become enforced.

It is a stupid policy that will cause many of us to no longer cruise should it become industry wide.

On a side note, and not seen in the news section of the site, we had an emergency medical situation on board this past week and the US Coast Guard airlifted a patient off the ship while we were off the southwestern Florida coast. I hope she is OK.

Gee the rest of the post stated they would purchase water and soda on board, so doesn't look like an excuse, just a statement as the preference.

Pop and bottled (if you must) water is available in every room on every ship, on top of that there is room service. I'm sorry but that is just a weak excuse.

What exactly is generous about you can't bring anything liquid that can be consumed. Sounds like buy it from us or don't drink it. That isn't generous, just how they have made it.

ENJOY your cruise! You will LOVE it. You are soooooo right about this not being a big deal. It is vacation and the beverage policy is actually pretty generous. Then again, if folks didn't have something to complain about, what kind of world would this be. (Save the flames, just my opionion)

Have a blast and enjoy not schlepping the extra pounds!

Quoate "They need fewer rules"

They are just responding to the few that go beyond normal and brought on rolling ice chests, cases of beer, water, liquor, soda.

Always a few that ruin it for everyone. Try taking a case of beer into Disney or a football stadium. Same thing. It's their ship, they can make the rules. Don't like it, go rent a houseboat.

Now that airlines are charging extra for addtional suitcases and weight, is the $50 charge worth it for that extra suitcase filled with $10 of water? IMO if you can't go for 7 days without 48 cans of Dr. Pepper, you have a problem.

I drink anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 gallons of water each day, and more then that if I drink alcohol (which I plan on drinking a lot of :) ) how much does watter cost on board, or can I buy some kinds of package on board that will let me get all I want ???

Archived