Yet another Passport ?

A friend of mine went to Puerto Rico on Tuesday. She got to the airport in Boston about 3.5 hours before her flight (she was with others and they wanted to get there early). She couldn't get through security because she didn't have a her picture license with her, the only thing she had was her passport. They said she needed her license and passport. She called her soon to be exhusband and he found her drivers license and drove it to the airport (2.5 hour drive....so it was a good thing she got the airport so early). She made it to her flight and is on her way. But why would you need a passport and license?

A friend of mine went to Puerto Rico on Tuesday. She got to the airport in Boston about 3.5 hours before her flight (she was with others and they wanted to get there early). She couldn't get through security because she didn't have a her picture license with her, the only thing she had was her passport. They said she needed her license and passport. She called her soon to be exhusband and he found her drivers license and drove it to the airport (2.5 hour drive....so it was a good thing she got the airport so early). She made it to her flight and is on her way. But why would you need a passport and license?

This episode was just WRONG. The reason for the passport is ID. It is government isse, has a pic and details . Nothing more is needed. I have traveled with JUST mine many times over the years to many countries. NEVER have I had an isse like this or even heard of one. I feel she should file a complaint. I know it is over but it may save someone else from this same trouble. Thank goodness her ex was able to help her in this case. Still it should not have occured.

You don't need a passport to PR but the only thing I can think of was that the passport was expired. A current passport is a government issued picture ID. so something in the story is wrong..either the agent was wrong or you only have half the story.

Could the passport have been damaged in some manner or did she possibly look completely different than her picture? The last couple of time I flew I just brought my passport and showed that, though I did have my license in my purse no one asked to see it.

This interests me in particular because one of my biggest pet peeves is people in authority who abuse that authority with a "boss hogg" mentality.

This web page is two years old, but I wonder if the premise is still true. Very interesting story.

http://cryptome.org/no-id-fly.htm

I hope we can find some documented clarification on this issue at hand.

Theron

P.S. Ahh.. found more info! http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-01-08-airport-id-challenge_x.htm

Well here it is straight from the TSA web site:

You must present a Boarding Pass and a Photo ID to get to the checkpoint and to your gate.

Now the last I checked, "a Photo ID" is a singular object, seeming to me to explicitly mean "only one". Perhaps the security guard or their designated policy-giver did not have such a firm grasp on the English language...

Sounds like folks traveling through Boston might want to print that page out to take with, although it has been my experience that persons in authority with such attitudes are generally unwilling to read.

Theron

P.S. To the OP, here is the site with contact info for the TSA, I suppose you could start there to file a report.

Agreed...I have flown many times with JUST a passport...even domestically. I carry it with me all the time, and most times, it's just easier to grab it out of my purse than to get my license out of its holder. Never had a problem.

Additionally, about 3 years ago, I flew with just a university photo i.d. I had my license, but we were just curious if it would work, and it did. I don't know if they require it to be government-issued or not, but I got through in DFW that time with not even a second glance.

Has to be government issued....a public university is government issued. I still don't think we know the WHOLE story....a lot of assumptions...can someone scan the passport at issue???

Agreed, we obviously don't have the whole story! Perhaps there was some confusion due to the fact that they could have flown to PR with just a photo ID and a BC :confused:

###

My DD just flew 2 weeks ago with only a passport, no DL, and had no problem at all. To me, a passport should be the only type of ID you need when traveling. I would have asked to speak to a supervisor as that security agent was surely mistaken.

That's very interesting and I guess it's a good thing she didn't have any young children traveling with her otherwise I guess they would have made her wait until they were old enough to drive and obtain a DL :confused: and I guess it's also a good thing she happened to have a DL herself. Where I work we have people who travel worldwide year round and have always been good with just a passport.

Later ya'll...

Jack :)

You don't need a passport to PR but the only thing I can think of was that the passport was expired. A current passport is a government issued picture ID. so something in the story is wrong..either the agent was wrong or you only have half the story.

Brand new passport, she just got it. It was her only ID she had on her. She thought that if she brought her passport she wouldn't need any other ID.

Has to be government issued....a public university is government issued. I still don't think we know the WHOLE story....a lot of assumptions...can someone scan the passport at issue???

You have the whole story. I don't have the passport, and even if I did I wouldn't scan it and put it on the web for everyones access (that seems odd to me) She got her passport this year. (january) She paid to do the expedited. She looks just like the pic.

Agreed, we obviously don't have the whole story! Perhaps there was some confusion due to the fact that they could have flown to PR with just a photo ID and a BC :confused:

###

Again........you have the whole story. Even if you could go to PR with just a photo ID.........a passport is a photo id. You shouldn't need anything else for ID. A passport is supposed to be the ultimate in ID.

My best guess is that the guy at the gate was new(?) The only other thing is if her name was spelled wrong on her ticket. That is the only thing I can come up with for an explanation. She has a very unique first name, and the modeling agency got her ticket, so they may have spelled it wrong? That is the only thing I can come up with for a possible reason for wanting more than 1 ID? This is total speculation on my part. But that is the only thing I can come up with for a possible reason.

DW and I have travelled quite a bit. We mostly fly when we go any distance, and we have the habit of always using our passports as ID for clearing security and boarding. We have never had a problem or been asked for our driver's license. If a US issued passport is not valid ID, then what good is a driver's license that anyone can buy without being a citizen?:eek:

that could be the reason....I'm thinking the agent was new and was a stickler on rules.

2 years ago we had to fly on moments notice for a death in the family. I made reservations on line very quickly and typo'd my own last name! It can be a problem.

It will be interesting to see what happens for your friends return to the US from P. R. :D

Their divorce is very amicable so there is no bitterness between the two. Return flight? She will have passport and drivers license so she should be fine. Like I said - the name thing is just a guess on my part, but I bet thats what it was. Her name is Michohn (combination of Michelle & John) pronounced like mashawn. Her mom liked the name Michelle, but dad wanted his name incorporated into it.

There are plenty of people who don't even have a license, so requiring one makes no sense at all and cannot be right. My 79 yo mom doesn't have a license and travels often on just her passport. Since we do have the whole story, I can only conclude that the airport employee was just plain wrong.

Archived