Shasa Turtles and snorkeling - Highlite of the Trip

Rigger

We were on the Carnival Destiny last week and stopped in Barbados on the Wednesday. After doing a lot of research on this website we settled on a catamaran trip to snorkel with the turtles and on a reef and wreck.

We booked with Shasa (www.shasacatamarancruises.com) and Jason o"Neal. He used to be with Silver Moon before he branched out on his own. Jason has sailed all over the Carribean and he appeared to know just about everyone on the other boats we encountered.

The tour itself was fantastic. We were picked up from the ship at 9:30 am sharp and taken to a beach to meet up with the boat (great air conditioned van with a very friendly driver named William). Once on the beach we were picked up by Jason on his catamaran and set off sailing. The tour was about 5 hours long and Jason took us to swim with the turtles and do some snorkeling on a reef and several wrecks. He was a great tour guide and made sure everyone was safe and getting the most out of their experience. After all of the activity we did some sailing and settled in near the shore where he proceeded to set up lunch for us. Lunch was great - it included fish, chicken, beans & rice (with a terrific sauce), macaroni pie (to die for), salad and three bean salad, wine, beer, rum punch, rum, sodas and so on. We ate our fill and did some swimming off the boat and even swam in to shore.

Jason was a great guide and conversationalist. Our family had an incredable trip and got a great taste of the area. The cost was considerably less than the "big guys" charge and was well worth it. It really was the highlite of our trip.

If you are looking for a great experience in Barbados, I highly recommend Jason and his tour!

if you have any questions, let me know.

Rigger (Mike)

Sounds Awsome, Where there alot of people on your tour?

We like to do small individual tours with just our group.

Linda

Actually, there was one other couple on our trip and they were with us for the turtles and the reef and wreck snorkeling. Once they were dropped off we were on our own for lunch and swimming. It was great. If you are interested in a strictly private situation, I am sure you can arrange it. look at www.shasacatamarancruises.com .

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Rigger

How long did you get to swim with the turtles?

I don't really remember. It was long enough. I took a ton of underwater pictures with a disposable camera and I would guess we were in the water for about 30 - 45 minutes. The kids had a blast.

Rigger

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have any photos of the shipwrecks or know the name of any of the wrecks?

Thanks,

Gank

The wrecks are small modern ones that I believe were intentionally sunk to provide a fish haditat (fake reef). There was a lot of life in this protected area.

Rigger

Archived