Where's Serenade this week?

There have been many discussions on CC that indicate the Radiance Class ships are getting diesel generators to provide electrical power, while in port, rather than running the gas turbine engines that normally power the ship. The diesel generators will consume far less fuel than the gas turbines. The diesel generators will not be the primary power at sea.

Eric

Is it possible that you have confused RCCL Radiance class ships with X's Millenium class which do have gas turbines and are going to be fitted with diesel engines to generate power when in port? Constellation and Millenium are scheduled to be fitted this spring in Southampton after completing their transAtlantic crossings. Don't know for sure about the RCCL ships but X has already announced and schedule their additions.

And to make sure the scenery remains unspoiled for generations to see, all Radiance-family cruise ships utilize gas-turbine engines, which are the most environmentally-friendly engines at sea.

No, I am not confused. This quote above is directly from the RCCL website, under Radiance Class Ships. Their brochures also state the Radiance Class ships have gas turbine engines, as does the Travel Channel show on the Brilliance of the Seas (w/ Samantha Brown). The Travel Channel show even goes into the engine room where the gas turbine engines are shown. Here is a wikipedia link to the Radiance of the Seas for further info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiance_of_the_Seas

The RCCL rep. I spoke to when booking the RFS on Serenade verified that there will be diesel generators installed during scheduled dry-dock periods. No major surgery required for the ships. The generators are more efficient than the gas turbine, while the ship is stationary. I do not know anything about the Celebrity ships that were mentioned, but considering the fact that Celebrity is RCCL's sister company, the gas turbine ships for Celebrity may be getting the generators as well. Hey, I am all for saving fuel! :D

Eric

Archived