Help for a "FOODIE" and first timer!

HANNAHBEN

Can someone out there give me some ideas of cruises to book for a thirty something couple who are foodies as well? We are looking at a 5-7 day out of Florida in February of 2008. These posting are the best I have learned so much and would appreciate any help given. Anything you can warn us to look out for when booking would be helpful too. :p Thanks

Celebrity sounds like it would meet your requirements. They have very good food, and their specialty restaurant on board is not to be missed. The Century is doing 4 and 5 day trips in the Caribbean at that time of year and would probably be a great fit.

We are a young couple (early 40's) and love the ambiance of the ship and staff. It is not a party time. It is rather low-key without all day announcements about bingo and such. No rock walls, but very elegant surroundings. I'm sailing the Century in 10 days and can't wait!

Hi,

We're 30-something foodies, and we love Celebrity Cruise Lines. Their newer ships are really nice, and the food and service are great!

If you can, go with a week-long cruise. I've found that the quality of food and service tend to go down a bit with cruises shorter than a week. And cruise lines often use older ships for such itineraries. Having said that, when Celebrity was Chandris, I was on a shorter cruise and their food was still amazing! (Of course, that was 15+ yrs ago!)

Bon Voyage and Bon Appetit!

You may want to try Holland America as well. The food will be comparable to Celebrity. The passenger demographic will also mirror Celebrity, an older crowd especially when schools are in session. Celebrity entertainment will be a bit more lively than on HAL, but not the party atmosphere of Carnival and other lines. I've found Princess to have consistently good food and service as well, a small step below Celebrity and HAL, and the entertainment is top-notch.

Hi there. Don't rule out Carnival ships! Although I haven't been on Celebrity, I'm also a foodie - as well as a retired chef from the best restaurant in N.O. I LOVE Carnival's food offerings. I've never found anything I didn't care for, except the gumbo. (Nobody makes a gumbo like us cajuns!):D They also offer comp espresso and cappuccino with all three meals a day - which I had to pay extra for on RCCL and Princess.

I'm sure y'all will enjoy the food on whichever ship/line you choose.

If food is your main target for cruising then I would suggest that you stay away from the true mass market lines such as NCL, RCI and Carnival. While the food is good, it is basically the same type of food that one would get at a Marriott or Hilton catered event. Mass produced for 2000-3000 passengers. The only place on these ships to get a higher quality dining experience is with the specialty restaurants. As suggested above, I would look to Holland America or Celebrity where the average daily amount spent on food is higher than that of the true mass market lines.

Archived