European airlines / credit card surcharge?

scdreamer

We are going to take the Oceania air credit and book our own flight to Athens for our cruise in October, because we plan to arrive a couple days early, and we will be traveling overland for a week or so post-cruise, and will fly home from Paris.

I am wondering - if we book a European airline, (KLM, Lufthansa, Air France, etc.), are the funds considered to be drawn on a "foreign" bank, as is the case with Oceania? We would prefer to use our air-miles credit card, but not if there will be a surcharge. In that event, we will go with Capital One, because they don't charge extra for funds drawn on a bank outside the USA.

I think we have always flown United or Delta to Europe in the past, so the extra charge was never an issue, but I am all for saving that "3% of the total" surcharge if we find a better fare/schedule on a European airline.

It probably depends whether you're buying the tickets directly from the airline, or from an agent located domestically. If you do the transaction stateside, it'll be denominated in US dollars.

I'm retired from an European Airline & all funds collected on Credit Cards in the US were processed through a US bank..Therefore no Surcharges..

I'm positive that is the same with all the major European Airlines..The only time we ever heard of a surcharge from any major Carrier operating in the US was on Oceania..

Our Credit Card Company (Chase) does normally charge a surcharge, but we put our $1,000 deposit down on our cruise & no surcharge was applied..Our TA confirmed that Oceania does bank in Ireland, but only cards from one or two of the credit card companies (which I've never heard of) are still getting those surcharges..In the meantime, we've also applied for a Capitol One Card, just to use for our major purchases outside of the US. & also for our final payment on Oceania..

Enjoy your cruise..:) Betty

Archived