Please help with excurision in Grand Cayman

girlznme

Hi everyone!

We are cruising on the Inspiration in April. We would like to do a stingray city tour in Cayman but are only at port from 7am to 2 pm. To be safe, what is the absolute latest time that you would allow the tour to run to get back on time? Ship time should be the same as Cayman time, right?

Thanks!:)

Edited to add: We would really like to do the catamaran tour but it runs 10:30-1:30

We are doing the Inspiration in April also and because of the short time we're there, we opted for a Carnival excursion so we didn't have to worry about the time. They have one to Stingray City, and if you've never done Stingray City, you definately need to. Once in a lifetime experience. We are doing one of the snorkle trips.

Being a big chicken of missing the ship. You could take a ship sponsored tour and not have to worry about it.

We did the tour the last time we were on the Inspiration. It was a neat experience. You'll enojy it.

We took the stingray tour through Capt. Bryan and had a GREAT time. We stopped at stingray city and then did some snorkeling. We were only in port from 7-2 also and actually had time to shop before returning to the ship.

Lora

assuming your ship is on eastern time.

the ship will NOT be on time with grand cayman.

the ship will be on eastern daylight time (again assuming cruising out of FL), cayman is always on eastern standard time (does not observe DST) thus the ship will be 1 hr ahead of grand cayman (grand cayman will be 1 hr behind the ship)

the ship will be on eastern daylight time (again assuming cruising out of FL), cayman is always on eastern standard time (does not observe DST) thus the ship will be 1 hr ahead of grand cayman (grand cayman will be 1 hr behind the ship)

Shouldn't this depend on what time of year the OP is cruising? For example, we are sailing out of Miami in December, so I believe we ARE on the same time as Grand Cayman.

Actually, I booked trhough captain marvins and had this same concern. They told me that the ship will infact switch to island time while it is in port... but maybe they are misinformed...

EDIT: I just called carnival, and captain marvins is WRONG.... and joetrizeo is RIGHT ... so sorry~

LadyJ: OP is cruising in april ;)

When we were in GC last month on the Conquest they indeed changed the time of the ship. We sprung forward 1hr the night before we arrived in Jamaica and then fell back 1hr the night after we left GC. The cruise director will give you all the information you need about time changes, etc so you will be well informed before your first stop. While in GC we did the wave runner excursion to Stingray City Sandbar thru Island Mrktg. Our tour started at 850am and we were done and back to town by 1230. These excursion are run everyday and your more popular ones know the ins and outs so they are gonna make sure you are back in time. Most of them also know about these boards and a few bad reviews could hurt their business...... Happy Cruising:p :p

Shouldn't this depend on what time of year the OP is cruising? For example, we are sailing out of Miami in December, so I believe we ARE on the same time as Grand Cayman.

The OP said April...

so they would be behind & I have also been told we stay on Miami time (or whatever port you sail from)

They'll let you know what ship time is. It doesn't really matter what Grand Cayman time is, you go by ship time.

I'd do Stingray City and take a ship sponsored tour if you're concerned about getting back on time.

I just came off the Inspiration Yesterday morning. We did the Grand Cayman as well, we were two hours ahead of them. In Daylight time its 2 hours. The rest is 1 hr.

We booked the Stingray city and island tour, it was cancelled. Due to wind. Ours wasn't the only one cancelled. Just about every sting ray tour was cancelled.

The waters were muddy/murky they said, and you couldn't see the sting ray's well. So it was cancelled. However the ship did take us on to shore as the scheduled tender time, so we didn't have to wait longer to get off the ship.

We got off, got a taxi out front, for 20.00 bucks each, that took us basically on the same island tour and then some...that was with the excursion.

We went by the Governor's house, the homestead house, to Hell, to the rum factory, to the turtle farm, to the conch house, and around the island on the way to and from. It was very beautiful. We spent no more than 1 hour 45 mins on this tour. Then we were brought back to the main area, same place we were dropped off, and had oddles of time to shop. It was beyond great. We loved the entire day there.

Debbie

Edit to add: your there from 7am - 2pm...but the last tender leaves the dock at 1pm!!! Not 1:30.....but 1:00pm!! So don't miss that tender! If you go on your own...if your on a ship excursion, and your not back at 1:00 they do wait on you to get there. They know at all times where you are if your on their excursions.

Well, according to the GRAND CAYMAN port authority, my ship is arriving at 7am and departing at 5pm...which is identical to my iten. So why in the world would they list arrivals and departures according to the ships original time zones???

http://www.caymanport.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?by_id=1&id=29598

I dunno, our watch was on eastern standard time, we actually arrived at 6am, didn't get clearance til 7:10 to disembark there, they ran tenders every 15 mins back n forth until 1:00pm eastern time, we sailed at 2pm eastern time...not grand cayman time. You have to go by the ship time, which is Tampa Florida time zone, not Grand Cayman time, or you will be waving to the ship as she sails off towards Mexico.

We did the Sting Ray City & Island tour last year. "Hell" was ok, Turtle Farm was better than I expected and the Sting rays were loads of fun and worth the trip IMHO. Did'nt have a lot of time to take in the sites on our own after the tour in order to catch the last tender back to the ship, but we had a blast anyway.

Combine the natural beauty and cultural heritage of Grand Cayman with incredible Stingray City Sandbar in this all-in-one combination excursion.

On this excursion you will:

Travel the length of 7-Mile Beach and view the miles of white sandy beach and crystal clear blue waters.

Experience a guided tour of the Turtle Farm; one of only a few turtle conservation centers in the world, home for the smallest hatchling to some of the largest sea turtles in the world.

Be taken to what is known as Hell; an area of exposed rocks, locally termed the Town of Hell because of the lack of life truly portrays what most of us would perceive Hell to look like.

Relax on the boat ride out to Stingray City Sandbar where you can stand in the shallow waters, as you swim or snorkel, feed, pet and hold the friendly stingrays.

Be provided snorkel equipment and food for the stingrays at no extra cost.

Enjoy our complimentary drinks including rum punch and listen to great Caribbean music on your return.

Hi everyone!

We are cruising on the Inspiration in April. We would like to do a stingray city tour in Cayman but are only at port from 7am to 2 pm. To be safe, what is the absolute latest time that you would allow the tour to run to get back on time? Ship time should be the same as Cayman time, right?

Thanks!:)

Edited to add: We would really like to do the catamaran tour but it runs 10:30-1:30

Ship time may NOT be the same as Cayman time. Most likely the ship time will be one hour earlier than Cayman time. In order to catch the last tender to the ship, you should be at the dock by 1:30pm ship time. This might be a good reason to take a ship sponsored tour.

you are 100% correct, however i read they were sailing in april.

I just came off the Inspiration Yesterday morning. We did the Grand Cayman as well, we were two hours ahead of them. In Daylight time its 2 hours. The rest is 1 hr.

hold up there a second.

grandcayman is on EST (eastern standard time) ALL the time. thus spot on with eastern during the winter (standard time) and 1 hr behind eastern (or right on with central DAYLIGHT time) when we are in eastern DAYLIGHT time as we are right now :)

I should know, I just walked off the dang ship yesterday morning at 9:45 am ... . I was in Grand Cayman. We were two hours off! Not one hour. I know this for a fact. I paid attention to the clock as we got on and off the ship. Guess what...it was two hours off! Not one hour. Two...count... one....two....two hours....not one! geez I'm not 10 yrs old .... I'm 36 I know how to tell time...thanks.

hold up there a second.

grandcayman is on EST (eastern standard time) ALL the time. thus spot on with eastern during the winter (standard time) and 1 hr behind eastern (or right on with central DAYLIGHT time) when we are in eastern DAYLIGHT time as we are right now :)

Originally Posted by gigglebabe viewpost.gif

The Imagination was anchored right next to the Inspiration on Monday. We were only 1 hour ahead of Grand Cayman's time.

hold up there a second.

Whoa, Who's on first?:eek:

Regarding "Cayman" time, this is a question I asked Ruth at Captain Marvin's for my up coming cruise. Here is her answer ...

Thanks for your order! I have reserved 6 spots for you on our 11:15 AM

trip

for June XX, 2007. Please meet us at our office in the Waterfront

Centre,

2 blocks LEFT of the cruise ship pier. You should be here by 10:45 local

time that morning (11:45 ship's time if it remains on Eastern Daylight

time

here), with towels and sunscreen.

We have several boats ranging in length from 34-45 feet, with capacities

from 20-45 people. The boat assigned to a particular trip depends on how

many people sign up for that trip, but the average number of people on a

boat is about 25. We will have plenty of space if your friends decide to

join us.

For all the information on our trips, times, prices, and location,

please

read through our web site at www.captainmarvins.com, where you will also

find an on-line reservation form for booking with us.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will be happy to

answer

them for you. I look forward to hearing from you again!

Ruth for Capt. Marvin's

Your card is not charged until you arrive here, and we prefer if you pay

in

cash or by travelers' checks at that time. We also accept Visa,

MasterCard

and American Express, but there is an extra 5% fee added to your bill if

you

pay by credit card.

If your ship is here on time, but you do not show up for your trip with

us,

you will be charged.

See you in June!