Pick Up Rental Car At FLL Cruiseport Or Airport?

jck720

We will be returning on the Star on Saturday morning in Fort Lauderdale with a 6:55pm flight departure. I'd like to rent a car for the day. Not taking into account cost, do you think it would be better to pick up a car at the cruiseport, and drop it off later at the airport, ot take a cab to the airport upon our return, check in for our flight, and then pick-up/drop-off the rental car at the airport? Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have.

Hi, not entirely sure if this answers your question, but I've got a bit of experience with this, and here's what I've found works best.

Budget Car Rental has a location at the airport but they also have a location on 17th Street literally just outside the entrance to Port Everglades. And, they don't charge extra if you pick up at one location and drop off at the other. I've done this 2 of the last 3 times we cruised from FLL, and found it the most convenient. In fact, our last cruise we rented a car at the airport and stayed in Ft. L. for a few days before the cruise. When we were ready to board, I dropped the hubby and luggage off at the ship, returned the car to the 17th St. Budget location and -- although they have a free shuttle service to the Port -- I simply walked back to the ship. It's literally a couple of blocks (at least where Princess usually docks.) Of course with luggage after disembarking, you'd probably either take their shuttle (I'm pretty sure if you book at the 17th Street location, they will pick you up in their shuttle van -- you could check with them to be sure) or grab a cab (though it really is a very short distance.)

The 17th Street Budget office, by the way, is in a little open-air mall diagonally across 17th Street from the port entrance.

The other alternative, of course, is to take a cab from the Port to the airport (which is pretty inexpensive and pretty quick, as the airport is very close) and then you can rent from any company you may prefer.

Just my 2 cruisecredits worth.

Happy cruising! :D

Without traffic delays, the airport is a five minute hop from the port. Rather than wait for a shuttle, why not grab a cab, probably around $10.00, and get to the rental desk. We have had good luck with Avis, but any of the major agencies should be fine. Traffic in Ft Lauderdale is heavy, airport congested, so allow plenty of time for your return flight.

Happy sailings . . . . . . . . .

Hi, not entirely sure if this answers your question, but I've got a bit of experience with this, and here's what I've found works best.

Budget Car Rental has a location at the airport but they also have a location on 17th Street literally just outside the entrance to Port Everglades. And, they don't charge extra if you pick up at one location and drop off at the other. I've done this 2 of the last 3 times we cruised from FLL, and found it the most convenient. In fact, our last cruise we rented a car at the airport and stayed in Ft. L. for a few days before the cruise. When we were ready to board, I dropped the hubby and luggage off at the ship, returned the car to the 17th St. Budget location and -- although they have a free shuttle service to the Port -- I simply walked back to the ship. It's literally a couple of blocks (at least where Princess usually docks.) Of course with luggage after disembarking, you'd probably either take their shuttle (I'm pretty sure if you book at the 17th Street location, they will pick you up in their shuttle van -- you could check with them to be sure) or grab a cab (though it really is a very short distance.)

The 17th Street Budget office, by the way, is in a little open-air mall diagonally across 17th Street from the port entrance.

The other alternative, of course, is to take a cab from the Port to the airport (which is pretty inexpensive and pretty quick, as the airport is very close) and then you can rent from any company you may prefer.

Just my 2 cruisecredits worth.

Happy cruising! :D

We are renting a car from Budget to drive down and overnight in Lauderdale (we live in FL).

I have been trying to figure out if it were easier to drop the luggage first and then drop the car.

Appear's you've had experience with this.

Wondering what time you've arrived at the port to drop off your luggage in the past?

Is it REALLY only a 2 block walk back?

If so that's easier than waiting for the shuttle IF they have one - we've been told they don't???

THANKS for your input in advance.

This is the address for Budget at the port, they have a shuttel that runs between the port & This location. I use it all the time no need to walk.

QUAY SHOPPING PLAZA

1515 SE 17TH STREET CAUSEWAY

FT.LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 US

F07

hoursSun 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM; Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM; Sat 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM phone 954-761-7231

If you want to rent from other than Budget, the city of FL actually runs a free bus service between the pier and the car rental center at FLL. There is plenty of room for luggage and all the major companies are located here.

I think the FLL cruiseport and airport use the same lots for the rental car agnecies. All lots are only about 5-10 minutes from the cruise port. You take the rental company bus from both the cruiseport and airport. We have rented a National car after landing at FLL, used it for a day, returned it to the lot, and caught a shuttle to the cruiseport. I'm sure you could do the reverse.

Without traffic delays, the airport is a five minute hop from the port. Rather than wait for a shuttle, why not grab a cab, probably around $10.00, and get to the rental desk. We have had good luck with Avis, but any of the major agencies should be fine. Traffic in Ft Lauderdale is heavy, airport congested, so allow plenty of time for your return flight.

Happy sailings . . . . . . . . .

We boarded the FREE rental car shuttle right outside the FLL cruiseport...it was large, quick, and very easy. You do need to have a car reservation in order to use this shuttle, but with 7 of us, plus luggage, it was much more economical than taking several cabs, and no less convenient! It brought us directly to the rental car center at FLL

First of all, I want to thank the posters who mentioned that the rental car companies offer shuttle services from the Port to the rental agencies at the airport. I'm glad to know that. I checked on this several years ago on our first cruise out of Ft. L. and was told by 3 different agencies that they didn't offer a shuttle service to or from the Port. However, this was also back before the improvements to the airport, when the rental car companies were all at remote locations away from the airport proper. It just never occurred to me to check back with them in recent years. As Homer Simpson would say ..., D'OH! :rolleyes: I'm glad to know that's an option

We are renting a car from Budget to drive down and overnight in Lauderdale (we live in FL).

I have been trying to figure out if it were easier to drop the luggage first and then drop the car.

Appear's you've had experience with this.

Wondering what time you've arrived at the port to drop off your luggage in the past?

Is it REALLY only a 2 block walk back?

If so that's easier than waiting for the shuttle IF they have one - we've been told they don't???

THANKS for your input in advance.

In my opinion, it's MUCH easier to drop the luggage first and then return the car. Even if you just drop the big luggage with the porters and keep your carryons. I've found it's just such a hassle carting all the luggage all over the place with you, when you've got the option of driving up and leaving it there while you have the car.

What I've done on recent trips is drop my hubby and luggage off at the ship, return the rental car to the airport (when not renting from Budget and leaving at the 17th St. location, as discussed above) and take a cab back to the port. I've found that if you allow 30 minutes or so that's usually plenty. The dropping off the luggage, exiting the port and getting to the airport is VERY quick (literally, maybe 10 minutes.) The time consuming part is waiting in the lines of cars to get through the check point to enter the Port (before dropping the luggage and when returning from dropping off the rental car.) Although, I've always found that the Port entrance on the Airport side (I can't recall the name of the street offhand) usually has MUCH shorter lines than the 17th Street side. So, coming back from the airport, whether on a shuttle or in a cab, is usually quicker than entering from 17th Street.

I've found the drop-and-return method works well for us.

And, though no one asked, if you're coming directly from the airport, I highly recommend a cab or any method other than the Princess Transfer. You have to wait forever for the bus to fill up and then, I don't know if there are restrictions on where the busses can go or what, but I remember thinking the bus took a very long way around to get to the Port (having driven it many times, you sort of get a sense of these things.)

In any event, happy cruising everyone! :D

- one more question if I may for 5:00 somewhere (BTW LOVE that screen name) - how early do you think we'd be able to get into the port to drop our big luggage off? We have to return the car within 24 hrs of picking it up - wondering if there is someone there that early to take our luggage?

THANKS

- one more question if I may for 5:00 somewhere (BTW LOVE that screen name) - how early do you think we'd be able to get into the port to drop our big luggage off? We have to return the car within 24 hrs of picking it up - wondering if there is someone there that early to take our luggage?

THANKS

I'm sorry to say that I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that one. I know when we were boarding the Caribbean Princess last December I think I dropped off at 11:00 and there was already a LOT of luggage in the bins (and a LOT of people were already in line.) But, I'm afraid that's about the best I can narrow it down for you from personal experience. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. Hopefully, someone else will be able to fill in the blanks.

So, 5:00_Somewhere: we are doing the same thing, flying into FLL on Thursday renting a car, going to the keys, then back on Sunday to cruise on Costa Magica. Here's the wrinkle for me this time: baggage tags will be issued at the port. Now - how the heck do I fill those out, then drop the large bags, all while still in possession of my rental car? If they have short term parking and if we can register, tag the bags, drop them and then actually not board the ship right then, I'm golden. Clues?

Now - how the heck do I fill those out, then drop the large bags, all while still in possession of my rental car? If they have short term parking and if we can register, tag the bags, drop them and then actually not board the ship right then, I'm golden. Clues?

You can park at the curb as long as you stay with your car. The baggage handlers will be curbside with you, with the tags. Fill em out, hand the bags over, return the car. Go with Avis, they have a downtown Miami location 5 minutes from the port. You'll have to take a cab back to the port for less then $10 but you'll be back to the port and on board the ship in twenty minutes versus an hour and a half if you drop off at the airport and wait on a free shuttle. Piece of cake....no worries. :rolleyes:

You can park at the curb as long as you stay with your car. The baggage handlers will be curbside with you, with the tags. Fill em out, hand the bags over, return the car. Go with Avis, they have a downtown Miami location 5 minutes from the port. You'll have to take a cab back to the port for less then $10 but you'll be back to the port and on board the ship in twenty minutes versus an hour and a half if you drop off at the airport and wait on a free shuttle. Piece of cake....no worries. :rolleyes:

yeah, I don't think you'd have much problem stopping curbside long enough to fill out your luggage tags. Another tip, though: we usually always get our tags early from Princess. Maybe you could call them and have the tags sent to you ahead of time. Would just take away one more stressor on the day of embarkation.

we used budget last cruise ... it turned out crazy with being the 2 sites we dropped it off at the airport wrong one but we pulled the car in the time was up so they wouldn't let us take the car to the other drop off which had a shuttle to port airport drop off doesn't have a shuttle to port... so we argued for 1 hr. ended up paying for another day to drop of the car where it was supposed to be and shuttle to port....at the end they took the extra day they charged off once we got to the 17th st. drop off but it was very crazy and we didn't board the ship until 2:00 instead of 11:00 when we started out....this yr. we got a hotel sleel inn with shuttle to pick us up at airport and then to port ... lots less stress... and money:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, '5:00 Somewhere'. I was originally picking up at the Budget airport location, after our cruise next week. I just changed my pick-up car rental location to the 17th street Budget location. It will definitely save us time. They're still letting me drop off at the airport at the end of our vacation without any fees. Thanks again!

Archived