Jamaica is a great stop! Don't be scared, just careful

athomemom

I was reading a post that was bashing Jamaica. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I stayed in Jamaica for 10 days in 2004. We went all over Jamaica, went river tubing, up the Dunn's River Falls, biking down the blue mountains, and had a fabulous time. I am a small white girl, and my husband is not very intimidating. Here are some tips so you have a great time: Stay away from the towns, most shopping areas, and don't flash alot of cash and don't stay out late. We always took a tour with a reputable company, and we didn't let a few aggressive shop owners rattle us. We never entered a shop or looked at the wares if they were aggressive...this just makes them more aggressive. The only place we encountered aggressive shop keepers was at the stalls outside of Dunn's river falls. (We didn't go to the towns or shopping areas) The coffee makes a great souvenir/gift, and can be bought everywhere.

I was reading a post that was bashing Jamaica. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I stayed in Jamaica for 10 days in 2004. We went all over Jamaica, went river tubing, up the Dunn's River Falls, biking down the blue mountains, and had a fabulous time. I am a small white girl, and my husband is not very intimidating. Here are some tips so you have a great time: Stay away from the towns, most shopping areas, and don't flash alot of cash and don't stay out late. We always took a tour with a reputable company, and we didn't let a few aggressive shop owners rattle us. We never entered a shop or looked at the wares if they were aggressive...this just makes them more aggressive. The only place we encountered aggressive shop keepers was at the stalls outside of Dunn's river falls. (We didn't go to the towns or shopping areas) The coffee makes a great souvenir/gift, and can be bought everywhere.

I agree totally. I read so many posts about people being afraid there and not wanting to go back. We've been there twice including a week long stay once and we always found it to be friendly and beautiful. You just have to go with the flow and not fight it. They are some of the best people around and it remains among our favorite destinations.

Stay away from the towns, most shopping areas, and don't flash alot of cash and don't stay out late. We always took a tour with a reputable company, and we didn't let a few aggressive shop owners rattle us. We never entered a shop or looked at the wares if they were aggressive...this just makes them more aggressive. (We didn't go to the towns or shopping areas) The coffee makes a great souvenir/gift, and can be bought everywhere.

Why not go into the towns or shopping areas? :confused: Will I get robbed or killed? Will someone try to sell me drugs? What is it about these areas. Could you be specific please?

Also do I really need the protection of a reputable tour company to see Jamaica?

I'm certainly not scared of Jamaica... I have been several times and don't care for it, primarily because it's icky to me... but the resorts and beaches are great, but outside of there, it's a while other world... so are alot of ports though... Jamaica is one of my least favorites, but I will still go :D

I was in Jamaica a couple of years ago, with my son. We were on the Triumph and got off in port, grabbed a local cab and had the best day. The cab driver took us shopping, waited for us then took us back to the ship while we dropped things off and changed into bathing suits, then took us to the beach, walked us down and told us right where he would meet us and what time and was there to take us back to the ship. He didn't let anyone bother us, trying to sell stuff and we really had a great day. It cost $25 to have him for the whole day and of course we tipped him extra, for the good service. the only thing that I didn't like from a previous trip was as you leave Dunn's River Falls, you have to go through a maze of lttle shops to get to the parking lot and they are VERY pushy there. We just walked on through and didn't stop to look at anything.

I have been there several times, both on cruises and flying down for vacation. I think it is a great place to vacation. Some of the best people there and always happy to see you. I've shopped in town and in the markets and have even been to street parties at night and have always had a blast. I have seen drugs there, but where do you go that you don't see that? There are areas in every city that you should stay clear of and I think this is true in Jamaica, but overall I love it and hope that I can get back sometime soon.

have any of you ever been there on a cruise as a port of call? i haven't. first time going there by ship will be in dec. what's the port area like? is that safe to walk around?

The port area is very nice and safe to walk around in.

Will visit Jamaica for the first time this fall. Will be interested in comparing their vendors with the ones that I have encountered in Turkey and Israel. In my infancy of travelling overseas, I was "kidnapped" :eek: by a little old lady in Marmaris, Turkey. By that I mean that she grabbed me by the arm and pulled me up the street (in the open) to view her wares. DH, laughing, (he was in the Navy and used to dealing with these folks), negotiated my release by buying a couple of scarves. She gifted us with a small trinket and I was once again a free woman. :D It is one of my favorite travel stories. :)

I never saw what the fuss was either. It's a beautiful place.

The locals just want to make a buck.

I remember the only warning was to make sure you take an official cab (I think at the time with the red licence plate). The locals seemed to be all clamored at the fence to the pire, but you can get your cab inside the fence and drive right past that.

We went downtown and walked around. Never had a problem.

We even took a tour once. Jamaica is lucious green. Some very nice gardens.

And we loved the falls.

And if you don't wish to be pressed to buy something, just don't look at their stuff. They seem to percieve looking as interest.

Archived