Hurricane in the Bahamas?

Mirella

Sensation 8/26-8/30/07 Bahamas (Freeport and Nassau)

Okay- I've booked our first cruise ever, purchased airfare, paid for port excursion, got tips from the "cruise critic" postings...

Then was reminded by a friend today that August is Hurricane season in the Bahamas...????????

What happens if there's a Hurricane? Does Carnival postpone sailing- or does it just cancel?

Anyone ever have this happen?

_ Mirella

Has

Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impending hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe.

http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Hurricanes.aspx

:) Thank you for your quick reply...I feel better, just embarressed that I 1. hadn't thought of weather prior to booking everything, and 2. that of COURSE there would be a WEBSITE that would have the info!!!

THanks again!!!!

Mirella

If you would like some idea of the kinds of changes that can happen to itineraries during hurricane season, you can check out the news archive here on CC and look for the articles for previous years regarding hurricane related itinerary changes (generally july thru october). I'm sure most cruises happen as planned, but you just never know.

*edit* Sorry, that last line sounded full of doom when I reread it, which I didn't intend. I prefer cruising this time of year, fewer crowds/kids. But you'll definitely take an avid interest in the weather this summer! HTH

Sensation 8/26-8/30/07 Bahamas (Freeport and Nassau)

Okay- I've booked our first cruise ever, purchased airfare, paid for port excursion, got tips from the "cruise critic" postings...

Then was reminded by a friend today that August is Hurricane season in the Bahamas...????????

What happens if there's a Hurricane? Does Carnival postpone sailing- or does it just cancel?

Anyone ever have this happen?

_ Mirella

Has

Typically, the cheapest cruise prices are for cruises during hurricane season.

If you have bad luck, you could be on a "cruise to nowhere" which I have done, unfortunately.

But, hope for the best. The only way the cruise wouldn't go is if the ship can't get out of the port due to a hurricane.

Hey! Have fun on your cruise. Our first cruise, if you check my signature, was a trip to the Bahamas, thanks to a hurricane! :eek:

We were scheduled for Belize and two ports in Mexico. We started watching the weather about two weeks out. With five days to go, DH thought our cruise would be diverted. We drove to the port so we check the website on the Friday night when we arrived in our first hotel (Sun. departure) and learned we were going to the Bahamas. Of course we had little time to research....but had a fabulous time. :)

The cruise lines will:

1. Do what it takes to keep people, staff, and ship SAFE.

2. Do its best to make sure you have fun.

Don't worry. Go and have a blast!!! :D

Reading the title of this thread really SUCKED!:mad:

We leave for our cruise in less than two weeks and the last thing I want to read about is a freak early season hurricane. :o

Mirella,

No blame aimed your way! :)

Your only worry should be about whether you'll make it on board the ship, or get back off the ship at the specified time. If you make it on, your ship will stay clear of danger. It may get rough, but you can rest assured that your ship will avoid the worst weather at all costs.

Your cruise may get cancelled, but if they do cancel it will be for your health and safety.

Paul-

You're absolutely right- the thread title DID stick!!! I'm SO SORRY!!!! I didn't think it through.:mad:

HOWEVER- I AM very grateful for everyone who responded because I feel 100% better than I did when I first asked the question.

I hope you have a FANTASTIC cruise!! And thanks for you reply.

Mirella

Reading the title of this thread really SUCKED!:mad:

We leave for our cruise in less than two weeks and the last thing I want to read about is a freak early season hurricane. :o

Mirella,

No blame aimed your way! :)

Your only worry should be about whether you'll make it on board the ship, or get back off the ship at the specified time. If you make it on, your ship will stay clear of danger. It may get rough, but you can rest assured that your ship will avoid the worst weather at all costs.

Your cruise may get cancelled, but if they do cancel it will be for your health and safety.

hurricanes gordan and wilma have interrupted my cruising itineries plans, but provided for some stories! ...still haven't seen key west, so i guess i have to keep cruising until i do! hurricans are predictable, so cruise lines can get out of the way......ususally!

Archived