Jellyfish stings???

Bailey969

Going snorkeling in Belize in 4 weeks and getting nervous over the amount of increasing posts about getting stung by jellyfish.

I take it the risk increases this time of year. ???

I'm snorkeling with two girlfriends who will not be happy if they look over the side of the boat and see jellyfish. Or when snorkeling. There is no way I could get them in the water. Nor would I feel great about it either.

I guess my question is how much do the odds increase this time of year for jellyfish stingings? Odd question but maybe someone has some insight.

Any prevention?

I got stung in Belize - was there March 13. I had never heard anyone even mention jellyfish so it caught me a little off guard. You can't look in the water and see them. They are transparent and about the size of your fist. Once I knew what to look for, I could see them as I snorkled. They looked like a piece of plastic, like a plastic baggie. They were not everywhere. We just happened to swim right through a small school of them. We went snorkling for almost an hour and only had to watch for jellyfish for less then 5 minutes. They do not attack so you just have to be careful not to swim into one. Once you were aware of them they were fairly easy to avoid. The people that got stung in our group, including me, had it happen right away before we were aware of them. Please do not let it stop you and your friends from snorkeling. Belize has a reef that is only second to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. The inconvience of a few jellyfish is nothing compared to the amazing snorkling experience you all will share. Even if you get stung it is uncomfotable but not life threating. It feels a lot like poison ivy or poison oak - kind of a burning sensation. Our guide put a little vinegar on it and I was good to go. I just had a mark and and my arm felt hot for a few days. Belize was still the highlight of my cruise. Besides, it makes a great story!!!!

Thank you so much for the info. I think I'll keep this info to myself until we get out there. As long as it's not agonizing pain... won't let a little discomfort stop me. Hopefully my gorlfriends don't chicken out.

Thanks again.. great info.

:D

I got stung in Belize - was there March 13. I had never heard anyone even mention jellyfish so it caught me a little off guard. You can't look in the water and see them. They are transparent and about the size of your fist. Once I knew what to look for, I could see them as I snorkled. They looked like a piece of plastic, like a plastic baggie. They were not everywhere. We just happened to swim right through a small school of them. We went snorkling for almost an hour and only had to watch for jellyfish for less then 5 minutes. They do not attack so you just have to be careful not to swim into one. Once you were aware of them they were fairly easy to avoid. The people that got stung in our group, including me, had it happen right away before we were aware of them. Please do not let it stop you and your friends from snorkeling. Belize has a reef that is only second to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. The inconvience of a few jellyfish is nothing compared to the amazing snorkling experience you all will share. Even if you get stung it is uncomfotable but not life threating. It feels a lot like poison ivy or poison oak - kind of a burning sensation. Our guide put a little vinegar on it and I was good to go. I just had a mark and and my arm felt hot for a few days. Belize was still the highlight of my cruise. Besides, it makes a great story!!!!

Hi!

We'll be in Belize in a week, and I am looking for a tour that does Caye Caulker and snorkling. Who did you use...did you like 'em? Did you hear about anyone else's experiences that would help me choose?

Thanks!

- Tim

We booked through coralbreezetours. They were very helpful and got back to my emailed questions right away. The guides were from Hammerhead Water Sports and they were AMAZING! If we wever get back to Belize, this a tour I will take again. It was the highlight of our cruise so I can't say enough good things about them.

Have a great time in Belize!

I got stung in Key West a few years ago and it was agonizing. I guess it depends on what type of jelly fish gets you. They put vinegar on it but it didn't help much. They said alcohol would help, so I started drinking:D

I guess the good news is-if it happens, you can buy pain meds OTC at the port. I'm not going to let it stop me from snorkeling!

Elphie... loved the alcohol comment. :D Would be my choice of medicine to ease the pain.

I'd be shocked of the lotion I just bought actually works - not that I want to get close enough to the jellyfish to find out. Mind over matter right? LOL

:o

A good idea is to bring along an antihistamine like benadryl. I heard there really is no good treatment for this. Maybe a good idea would be to wear a short scuba siut or a long on for that matter. Or at least a tight fitting t-shirt and long mens swim trunks. Still leaves some skin exposed but a little less chance of getting stung.:confused:

lavafun -

I ordered some - thanks for confirming it works. I was wondering if I spent 20.00 for nothing. I ordered 2 bottles - 15 and 30 SPF. I read some posts where some say it works and others thought it was useless.

Appreciate the post.

Hi!

We'll be in Belize in a week, and I am looking for a tour that does Caye Caulker and snorkling. Who did you use...did you like 'em? Did you hear about anyone else's experiences that would help me choose?

Thanks!

- Tim

I'm fairly sure that we were on the same tour with hammerhead/coral breeze with the other poster. It was a super tour despite the jelly fish stings I beleive the male guide his name Mike or Matt, sorry can't remember and Heni the female guide were super!!! When we were on the island of Caye Caukler he showed us some local stuff! Very fun, Fisherman retuening for the day cleaning fish, the story on the rope the kids were swinging on from the tree, he shared his fish lunch with us to taste. he peel a cocunut for the "tourist" as he joked!! with his hands!! It was really above and beyond!!!

this how we found them and contacted them

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/current_category.15/Product.2/tours_add.html?t_product=2

you'll have a great time! plus I would suggest getting the meal, and the price was very reasonable.

after you snorkel there isn't as lot of time for exploring caye cauker. I'd consider just going to experience the little island!

And the Jelly fish is hit and miss!!

I'm actually booking through RCI - Turnuffe Atoll. Haven't heard too much talk of it on CC. I'm traveling with parent's and friends and need to feel good about everyone getting back to the boat on time without worrying. Their all first time cruisers otherwise I'd book privately.

So... since I haven't heard much chatter about Turnuffe Atoll - I have no idea what the jellyfish situation will be. I'll post after cruise and let everyone know how I made out with the SafeSea. Should arrive anyday. Sailing 4/22 Explorer.

Here in Okinawa I can buy sunblock with Jelly fish repellent in it....they sell it at the Dive shop on Base and say it works really weell...just be sure to apply liberally.

This is the product:

http://www.revolutionhealthstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=87700&catid=10539&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=10539&trxp2=87700&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

• 2 weeks later...

:eek: Just returned from Serenade of the Seas. My daughter was stung in several spots on her forearm by a Jellyfish off a Beach on Barbados. A local guy at the beach bar made us a great concoction of Aloe which helped not only her sting, but our sunburns. Not sure what was in it, but it was very stringy and runny at the same time. They told us that the current is bringing the jellyfish in this time of year. Of course the only other person we noticed that got stung was the local working the jet skis. My daughter didn't go near the water the rest of the day!

Archived