Why or When should porters be tipped?

What does a dollar even buy these days? Pretty much a tip, and that's about it... Parking far away is not going to help you, since you have to take the bags to the porters... but hey, if it will save a dollar? :rolleyes:

Venture, I agree it is rude for someone to demand a tip. I've never had that happen to me though. We tip because it's the way it's done. Hopefully, your experience on your next cruise will be much more pleasant!

I always TIP. Can't really remember when I've reduced a TIP because of rotten service. But I still remember 17 years ago the Porter barking out to everyone: "Leave your bags here! You can tip me now!". It was the rudest noise I've ever heard.

No one has really provided a good reason to tip a Porter at the check-in counter. Everyone is a #1 or #2 above for the most part. Haven't heard much about a Porter earning their TIP in this scenerio. If they want the big bucks, they should be running around the docs with the hand truck collecting luggage.

And to all those folks with extra money that they feel like mindlessly throwing about because that's the way everyone does it, send it my way.

[quote name='robbyxoxo'] when i see them moving my luggage 5 feet into a steel cage for 5 buck tip[/QUOTE]
It could be worse. You could be in the hot sun every day chucking luggage watching all those happy tourists going off on their cruises.;)

You don't HAVE to hand over all your luggage. If you can manage your own bags, you do have the option of carrying them onto the ship, although the cruiseline workers will discourage you. I know, because I carried what was left of my luggage after the airlines managed to lose some of it. We wanted to assess what we had to wear ASAP and were not trusting it out of our sight.

We usually tip $10, but this last time we did the $1.00 per bag ($5.00). We both felt cheap and probably won't tip porters less than $10 again.

Travelitis: Well... you can handle your own bags as long as the bags are under a certain size (X-ray scanner)...

Decali: I do not consider what the individual makes (5 or 25 per hour) when I give them a tip... if through their own luck, education, or hard work they have made it up to any amount per hour then more power to them!

I tip based on either "general" guidelines, or I will adjust the amount up/down due to various factors: extra effort, temperature, rain, friendliness, attitude etc...

Tom

give me a break!

I think most people know what I am talking about here..... you can draw this out to include the president (for something he did to benefit you...lol )... but there are some TRADITIONALLY tipped people... and NO I do not have a list of what individuals this should include... my parents and society taught me this...

One can question all day long the logic in tipping, but I am not going to start by stiffing anyone that I deem "too well paid" already...:rolleyes:

Tom

In NOLA, the porters exact words to us were "I'm the guy that assures that your luggage makes it safe and sound to the ship, you take care of me, and I'll take care of your luggage".

We tipped him $1 per bag.

At an airport, you have Porters at the curb, and Airline attendants at the check-in counter.

Porter scenerio:

You give your bags to the Porter, he places the proper destination tags on your bags and places them on the conveyor belt.

Attendant counter scenerio:

You give your bags to the Attendant at the check-in counter , he places the proper destination tags on your bags and places them on the conveyor belt.

Why does the Porter gets a TIP and the Attendant at the check-in counter doesn't?

They are both being paid an hourly wage. And clearly, the Attendant at the check-in counter is taking on a lot more responsibility and is under a lot more stress (dealing with stressed customers).

It's interesting that everyone keeps perpetuating what is customary without questioning why, or if it is outdated given today's current technology and procedures.

I understand why the roll of a Porter started. This was a long time ago. Sounds like TIPping is getting carried away with.

Even Port Authorities think TIPping outmoded. Many now have rules against TIPping Porters and Porters accepting TIPs. Could it be that these Authorities think of this TIPping scheme as nothing more than customer harrassment given that these Porters are already making a decent wage... earning it the we all do at market wages?

Venture: YES, I do tip based on TRADITION... so call me obtuse... but, as I previously stated:"I tip based on either "general" guidelines, or I will adjust the amount up/down due to various factors: extra effort, temperature, rain, friendliness, attitude etc..."

Please note that I include ADJUST THE AMOUNT UP/DOWN... this is my way of saying (can't believe I have to say this AGAIN) that there are FACTORS which are taken into account which could send the tip up or down (even to NOTHING)... perhaps you should also question WHY "green means GO" while you are at it! Lets tear everything down and start over again... :D

Having said all that, if someone pressured me for a tip I would, depending on my mood (!), either stiff them, report them, or verbally TEAR into them!

Tom

It, tipping the porters, is a big scam. They will tell you, I will ensure that your bags get to your cabin, WRONG, they get it to the ship put in the containers that the ship uses to get them to the staff who brings them up to your cabins. THis type of thread goes on all the cruise lines, there was a big article in one of the florida papers, I have attempted to find it. They actually get a good wage and to ask for 2.00 per bag is pushing it. Depending on how far it is, I would tote my own bags on, actually did that a few years ago on the grand princess. Not to save the money but we were travelling light.

Oh well tip what you think is fair but it sure is lousy

Pete

quote:

Decali: I do not consider what the individual makes (5 or 25 per hour) when I give them a tip... if through their own luck, education, or hard work they have made it up to any amount per hour then more power to them!

I tip based on either "general" guidelines, or I will adjust the amount up/down due to various factors: extra effort, temperature, rain, friendliness, attitude etc...

Tom

Very good answer Tom and I agree with you 100%.

I am amazed at some of the remarks that have been made on this thread. People can try and bluff to say that they aren't cheap but when it comes right down to it. They are!!! Like it or not. I guess the truth sometimes hurts.

It, tipping the porters, is a big scam. They will tell you, I will ensure that your bags get to your cabin, WRONG, they get it to the ship put in the containers that the ship uses to get them to the staff who brings them up to your cabins. THis type of thread goes on all the cruise lines, there was a big article in one of the florida papers, I have attempted to find it. They actually get a good wage and to ask for 2.00 per bag is pushing it. Depending on how far it is, I would tote my own bags on, actually did that a few years ago on the grand princess. Not to save the money but we were travelling light.

Oh well tip what you think is fair but it sure is lousy

Pete

Very good answer Pete and I agree with you 100%

Gordon, I agree.... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... well?

Do people take a buck off their S&S because they don't want to pay the stewards to bring the bags to their room (oh Lord, that probably gave too many a good idea) I usually have 2 bags, that's 2 bucks!!! FTLOG, I cannot believe people will spend so much on a cruise but then whine about 2 lousy dollars :rolleyes:

Please tell me this thread doesn't have 93 post about one or two dollars per bag! Tell me we're not wasting space with this! With the defense of our country at stake tell me we're not talking about one or two dollars.

While you sitting in your easy chair others will have to take up your slack!

Is that clear? IS THAT CLEAR?

I'll never make it back to Gitmo!:(

I can see where tipping the porters will have a significant impact on the defense of our country NOT Having served for 20 years in the Marines and during that time a tour of Viet Nam, I am more concerned how folks (the porters) feel that they can just stick it to the traveller. The lies that they say, the possibility that your bags might get tossed into the sea what a real shame. But most folks checking in say OK fine and press on but sure doesnt impact the amount of rounds going down range

Pete

Geesh, I want to be a porter!! These guys are making a ton of money on embarkation and debarkation days, (I'd guess at least $75 per hour) and probably have it pretty easy on other days. Nice job, if you can get it. I've never seen a female porter, isn't there some rule against that??? ;)

Really, has anyone ever seen a female porter?

A somewhat related question...

If your luggage arrives at your room while you are away, how do you tip the people that did the hard work and brought it there? Is it your room steward or someone else? If it's someone else, it almost seems like they are the one's getting stiffed. I know with the amount of stuff DW plans on packing, whoever the poor soul is that has to get our bags to our room is going to definately be deserving of a tip!

When we returned to the pier on the Pride a few weeks ago we had a group of 9 people and the porter was loading bags on a cart. After they were all loaded everyone tipped him the usual $1 per bag. We were counting the bags on the cart after most of our group walked away and thought we were short one bag. My brother-in-law came back over to the area where the bags were loaded to help my husband check to make sure we did indeed have them all loaded. When we were sure they were there we walked away and the porter chased me down telling me that my brother-in-law did not tip him. When in fact he had. He had just come back over to help look for the bag. The porter made me feel about 1 inch tall yelling "hey that guy didn't tip me." It really made me mad. They ususally don't deserve the tip in my opinion simply because they are rude (at least in my experience).

Archived