We hired a private guide....what should we do & see?

J Star

We are just off the GRAND yesterday. We had planned to do Caye Caulker but didn't feel like we had time to get to the Caye and back so, we got a driver who showed us around the island. It is pretty poverty stricken. He took us to Cucumber beach. It is actually just a little man made cove with the ocean in the background. Belize just doesn't have much for beaches unless you go out to a Caye. The cove had a nice restaurant with good food, a bar at the little beach area with music, a rope swing, volleyball net and some tubes to float on. nOt the most beautiful beach but my family had fun. 14 and 16 year olds. There were quite a few ship people and we played volleyball and visited with people from the ships. All in all a fun day. I talked to people who went to the zoo and they were very disappointed. Hope you have a great time.

There are also ruins in Belize but I have read (not been there personally) that the physically appearance is disappointing. I read that if you have a good guide the information is interesting, but they were disappointed in the presentation. (size of the ruins etc)

When we return next January, we plan to just hire an acquaintance of ours to do a tour of the city. See the countryside and how the people really live.

We can't do the action things that others do.

Thanks for the heads up about Cucumber Beach. We will definately include a stop there!!

To the north of the city you have the Altun Ha ruins, a howler monkey sanctuary and an ecological reserve. The Lamanai ruins are also north but are time-consuming to get to.

To the west of the city is the Belize Zoo, ziplining and cavetubing.

Your beaches are basically going to be out on the cays, not on the mainland.

JJ How did you find a private guide? We are going in Sept. Would you be willing to share info on your guide? Thanks!:D

If you want to make reservations ahead of time, you can email gilleytours@yahoo.com OR you can wait until the day you arrive and go over to his kiosk (to the right after you get off the tender) at the 1st floor of the Wet Lizard (a restaurant on the second floor).

I believe that is he email address. I had a card, but have lost it. I have posted his email address on here before, so if you do a search of "gilley" or Gilbert...those posts should pop up.

Have a great cruise.

Archived