Question about the Baths excursion...

Jan2007

We've heard rave reviews about doing the Baths as an excursion. Is this a viable option for someone who is pregnant, for those of you who have done this? I believe I read a cruise account from a woman who was pregnant and chose not to do it, but it didn't say why...

I didn't go through the Bathes while pregnant, so I hope someone else can give you more insights. But, that said, how pregnant will you be at that time? Is this your first? How agile are you?

Skim the assorted threads on this board so you know what you're facing. To go through the Bathes (the rock formations), you need to be somewhat physically fit and have decent balance. Also, depending on the actual excursion, you may be required to swim ashore.

If this is not your first pregnancy, you have some idea of what your body will be like (and be able to do) at that time (although each pregnancy will be different- there are some common threads!). If this is your first, here are a few negatives (from my own experience being pregnant many years ago): as my pregancy progressed, my stamina dwindled, my balance was sometimes thrown off (center of gravity shifted), my legs & ankles swelled- which meant I had to elevate them frequently. Plus I became much more sensitive to motion sickness (and the trip from Tortola to VG can be rocky). Just the swim to shore from the bouncy excursion boat would have finished me for the day!

I don't think there's anything inherently dangerous for pregnant women at the Bathes (obviiously you could slip and fall- but that could happen anywhere!) I just think many pregnant women would find it too exhausting.

Susie: My DH is a big guy- 6'1" and over 250 lbs (and a lot of it in the tummy area LOL). He had no trouble fitting through the rock formations- but he is reasonably physically fit (goes to a gym, walks, good balance).

As far as doing the Baths on your own, maybe........! Read through the assorted posts on this board-I think there's one about "answering questions about the Baths" if you scroll down far enough. The main problem is timing. Many ships are not in Tortola for very long- not enough time to catch the ferry over to Virgin Gorda, etc., tour around and still make it back to the ship.

Susie- hope this works- this should be the link to a recent thread about the Baths:

Click here: Answers about the Baths at Virgin Gorda - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Archived