Is everything mountainous and cliffy?

Without realizing it, I am cruising to the Greek islands and up the Amalfi coast stopping in Santorini, Positano, Sorrento, etc. I have difficulty with mountainous cliffy sheer drop off roads, yet I want to see places like Oia, Pompeii, the Amalfi coast etc. Is the ride from Fira to Oia like that? from Sorrento to Pompeii? from Sorrento to Ravello? I am going to meet the challange, but wonder how bad it is. I also wonder about doing the towns on the Amalfi coast by water rather that the exhilarating yet hairaising drive above the coast? :confused:

Any information will be appreciated

I'd also be interested in this information. My wife doesn't like heights and she wants to think about whether or not she can do some of these things or whether she will drink coffee ( shop) and people watch (shop) while I explore.

The roads on Santorini are definitely not like that: the road from Fira to Oia is set back from the caldera wdgw, so you're just rolling along the top of the plain.

Having said that, there are some narrow/switchback roads on Santorini: I gather the road up to 'old Thira' is one such, and the road up from Athinios port is zig-zag and narrow. But most of the other roads stay away from the caldera edge.

Sorrento to Pompeii should be fine, with one short section that might give concern just outside Sorrento.

However, Sorrento to Amalfi does have quite a bit of high level driving on "cliff-edge" roads. I can't speak for beyond Amalfi.

Paul S

The road up to Revello is "quite scenic"! If you have ever done Highway 1 along the California coast, that would be more moderate than many roads along the Amalphi coast.

In fact, we stoppped for gas at a self serve roadside gas pump that must of had one of the greatest views from a gas pump anywhere in the world!

thanks Capsu78. So I get what you mean by "scenic". Pretty cliffy. Do you recall how long of a ride it is from Sorrento or Amalfi? I don't plan to conitnue on the Amalfi coast drive. I would just go back down if that is possible.

One last question. Does anyone know if a trip to Mdina entails the same kind of roads?

Thanks....:confused:

The whole tour sort of blurred together, so I can't recall the driving times. However, from the port of Naples which we left at 9 am, we made 4 different stops, and then Ravello for lunch, and we didn't get there until after 1. It was actually the last stop along the coast as we then turned inland and back toward Pompei. This circle was the same route used by many tours, including the ships tours.

It is well worth the effort. Just be sure to skip the coffee... you won't need any caffine!

Hello!

I am thinking of taking the train to Sorrento to walk around a bit then maybe take a cab to Postinto. How far it is from sorrento and how is the road between these towns?

Can I take taxi back from Positano to Sorrento to take the train back?

We will stop at Pompeii on the way back to Naples. Not sure if there is enough time to do all that I am thinking of doing?

I cant afford a private tour. What should I do?

THANKS!

The road up to Ravello from Amalfi and back down again has dramatic views.........if you dare to keep your eyes open!

Its narrow, twisty and very steep. Thrilling stuff.

And Ravello has beautiful views too. Its tiny. Some lovely gardens.

If you search the internet for photos of Ravello you will see how high it is from the sea.

The run to and from Oia is also pretty but not nearly as dramatic as above, and there are parts of the road where you can see the sea on both sides of the island. It is Oia itself which is dramatic. The buildings almost appear to be tumbling over the edge. Go walkabout down some of the zigzag walkways. Cafes and restaurants have amazing views from their terraces. People go there in the evenings to watch the sunsets which are famous and feature on many of the postcards to be found in Greece. If its a sunset view its likely it was taken at Oia.

Archived