POH review for March 12-19

cruisepal48

My cruise was very good. I will try and give you a good feel of my experience. We booked our cruise almost a year ago. We had a 7 category upgrade if we booked when we did. I got a BB category deck 10 starboard side of the ship. We booked though a local travel agent who has arranged most of my travel plans. She then had NCL make all the arrangements. She told me that their flights were cheaper then what she could get. I booked a 2 day post stay after the cruise.

We traveled to Honolulu the day of the cruise. March 12th. We had a 6AM flight so that meant we had to spend the night in a hotel by seatac then get up at 3AM. We had a connecting flight in San Francisco. Day light time also started that week-end so we were exhausted when we arrived on the ship. We arrived in Honolulu at 11:30AM and were met by NCL agents who directed us to our shuttle to the pier. Embarkation went very smooth and quickly. We got in the latitude line as this was our 2nd cruise with NCL. We sat in the atrium for awhile then went up to deck 12 for a bite to eat as we waited for our stateroom to be ready. It was ready around 3:30 so we showered and then had muster drill at 4:30. We were so tired we went to bed for a nap. Woke up at 8PM and went out on our balcony for sail away. I have to say I would never travel the same day as the cruise because I missed the sail away party and the leis and a good dinner.

My stateroom was very well laid out and we enjoyed the balcony a lot. Our Stateroom Stewardess greeted us and gave us instructions on what she called the wheel of fortune, the wheel that you turn if you want your room cleaned, turned down or do not disturb. She was wonderful, friendly and went out of her way to help us. What else can I say, she got an extra tip at the end of our cruise.

Dining was excellent also. We ate breakfast in the main dining room and the buffet. Both were good. If I wanted a poached egg I went to the dining room, omelet the buffet. On lobster night I had the Prime Rib which was excellent. I had lobster on the previous cruise and I didn’t think it was that good. Beef Wellington was very good and the lamb shank. We didn’t make reservation for the main dining room and we got seated right away. We always chose to share seating which was interesting at times. The waiters were very friendly and did their very best to try and please everyone. We sat with one person who had the manager at the table and they even went to another restaurant to get her food and she still wasn’t happy. They did everything but stand on their head for her. We sat though the whole meal and had to endure her constant complaints. We ate once at Paniolo’s and had the Churrasco Fire Star Steak. It was so tender and good, excellent. I would recommend it. No extra charge for this either. Last night of the cruise we ate at Cagney’s. DH had the filet and I had the lamb. Both were very good. The banana foster is to die for. We had lunch only once in the buffet, the last day as we got back on the ship early that day. The food was a bit dried out but OK.

We only went to one show but I’m sure it was the best. On Broadway, very professional and I felt like I was really on Broadway. Don’t miss this one. I was always so tired from being on shore that I was ready for bed after dinner.

Debarkation went very smooth also. NCL has everything very organized. Since we had a post cruise stay we didn’t see our luggage until we got back to our room that night after a PCC tour. The luggage was in our room waiting for us.

Our roll call for this cruise was 4 of us. We really got to know each other and talked about what each of us was doing. We planned on meeting on the ship which we did. It was like we’d known each other for years. I’m sure you’ll be hearing from them. I’ll be posting my Hawaii experience in a separate post as this was too long.

I have to say I didn’t have a bad experience on the ship. The crew was great and very helpful. If you treat them nice and show your appreciation they’ll go out of their way for you. They told me how bad they feel about some of the passengers and how they complain all the time. More later about the ports and Islands. Feel free to ask questions.

Hey Cruisepal,

Great review so far. I can't wait to read the rest. I have started mine but have not yet finished. How is the cat?

Hi Jenny,

Ashley (the cat) is better now that she is at home. the 1st night she was up and down on my bed all night. She would rub and rub. At 16 going on 17 this year she is very spry.

I've only typed up the ship review. I'll be working on the port reviews next. LokiGB has emailed me photo's of us on the ship. They're very nice. I've recorded my flight over Kauai and sent a copy to her. Not bad for and amature.

From Reviewer Cruisepal48: I have to say I would never travel the same day as the cruise because I missed the sail away party and the leis and a good dinner.

I traveled on POH last August, and we were given a lei on embarkation and photos were taken. Do they not still do this?

From Reviewer Cruisepal48: I have to say I would never travel the same day as the cruise because I missed the sail away party and the leis and a good dinner.

I traveled on POH last August, and we were given a lei on embarkation and photos were taken. Do they not still do this?

They did take photo's on embarkation but no lei was given. I heard they were given at the sail way party.

Archived