id like to ditch my cabin steward

robbyxoxo

reading some other posts about tipping, it reminded me of a thought that im still kickin around in my head......i really have very little use for the cabin steward.....i really wouldnt miss them much if they never came at all to do my room.......YES they do a nice job of cleaning up in a timely manner and all that......but for real, i really dont care if the bed stays messy for a week.....and i really could care less about the chocolate mints and the towel animals.......and i dont need the ice.........about the only thing i would need is some clean towels 2 or 3 times during the cruise...............so im wondering WHY do i pay for a service that i have no need for?......here at home id never pay for an unwanted service, so why do i on vacation?.......its like paying for a maid service to come clean your house when your house doesnt need cleaning......we are never in our room except to change clothes and sleep.......and we are both very tidy people!:)......so no mess to be found generally...........so if i had any guts about me, on my next cruise id tell the room steward that id not be needing his/her services for the week.........i probably wont just cause my wife wouldnt let me:).....if it was just ME deciding, i truly think i would........and YES this all boils down to being a cheap aszz and saving $50............and i know yall are gonna say how HARD these people work for their tips and how its sooo not kewl to deny them of their tips.....but Ive seen them do their jobs.....yes they work long tedious hours and without much time off.....but some of us work a helluva lot harder jobs when we are working!.......I may not work 7 days a week and 15 hour days but my work is 100 times more straining and back breaking than their jobs.....and im not working in airconditioning!.......so no real sympathy is gonna be comin from me to them....i work my aszz off for my money as well as they do.......so why waste it on services not needed?......and if they are truly soooo over worked, then they should be glad that they will have one less cabin to clean that week.............anyone have thoughts on my off the wall, yet sincere plan?:)

but for real, i really dont care if the bed stays messy for a week.....and we are both very tidy people!........anyone have thoughts on my off the wall, yet sincere plan?:)

Ahhh, Robby, with yet another unorthodox plan.:rolleyes:

Sorta reminds me of my kids when they were small and didn't care if the bed was made or not. YET, you say you're very tidy people. :confused: That's an oxymoron.

Ummm, maybe your wife likes the bed being made everyday, and the chocolate mints on the pillow and those cute towel animals. Maybe she likes the idea of the bathroom being cleaned twice a day and nice clean towels that she didn't have to clean and fold. I know my husband could care less about this stuff either, but I know I appreciate it cause I like the pampering. :p Therefore, I have no problem paying those tips.

Robby, try a pontoon boat :D, I hear you don't have to tip anything when you cruise on one of those. Anyhoo, It's part of the deal, not going to change... and hopefully you will have better luck on Celebrity when you head out with them... Carnival, as much as you hate them, is not the only one that does this :D

and YES this all boils down to being a cheap aszz and saving $50.............anyone have thoughts on my off the wall, yet sincere plan?:)

Are you smokin' crack or would the $50 saved be used to purchase smokes onboard?

You can't be serious?

lol...your right....about the bed thang, we prolly wouldnt bother making the bed on the cruise....but besides that we generally keep a very tidy setting....having no kids and no pets makes it pretty easy to keep a clean organized home......and YES i can see how most people would find it to be such a treat to not have to clean for a week and to have it done for them......but its just not a big deal to me.....and since I do all the cleaning at home, my wife isnt like burnt out on chores like most women who are working 9 to 5 and still raising kids and doin all that......she gets pampered all year long at home by ME:).........so having a steward on the ship wouldnt be like some special treat out of the ordinary.............i DO agree that these people are underpaid for the services provided....including all the staff...waiters etc...........but im still thinkin i could find a better place to spend that $50 than on a room steward......

LMAO Livtojump....YES im serious!.....im ALWAYS serious when it comes to $$.....$$ makes the world turn and makes me :):)..........and so are yall saying that its MANDATORY that i use my steward?....thats part of my question i guess.....do i HAVE to use him/her? and if so, WHY?.....its not like im stiffing them of their earned tip.....i just dont want their services......and as i said, i doubt ill be able to actually try this, because i dont think my wife would let me:)......she prolly wouldnt care about the room being more messy, but she would feel bad about doing something so cheapasszzed.....I, on the otherhand, get a kick out of cutting corners and saving a buck

Robby, your posts on here have shown that you don't really care what other people think anyway. Just do whatever you want. It seems to me that is what you usually do.

I just think it is a waste of time for our members to try to convince you otherwise. You have such a low opinion of the Carnival clientele anyway I can't believe you care what anyone here thinks.

Why not skip the dining room, and serve yourself in the Lido.

Why not skip the blackjack, and play the slots so you don't have to tip the dealer.

Hell, why not skip the cruise, and just stay home? Lots to save there!

Kristi lol...absolutely right!.....youve read me well!.....but im just curious enuf to wonder how others see this and how appalling and tacky they think it might be to try....but YES you know ill end up doin my thang regardless of the majority thinking......who knows, maybe we will find one other person here who would agree with my thinkings!......the thought came to me after reading that other ladies posting here....she sounded as if she was considering not using her steward as well.....so obviously this has crossed the mind of someone besides myself!:)

Pete LOL...i knew that was coming!.....but ur missing my point!....im not trying to cheat anyone out of their earnings.....i just am wondering why am i paying for something that i really dont want....and especially if its something that isnt mandatory and isnt adding to my cruise experience.......and NO i dont play blackjack or any gambling!....u silly.....that game isnt made for winning $.....and im all about MAKING $, not losing it............The waitstaff in the dining room adds to my dining experience......i enjoy the dining part of cruising......so i have no probs with using their services.........its not just about saving money.......its about spending WISELY.....and spending on something i netheir want or need seems a bit foolish....that be my point of it all...

If it's a point you're trying to make, it is dull.

The cabin experience is part of the "package". If your simply trying to save money, stiff him.

If you travel to a port you don't wish to see, and don't get off, you will next be trying to save on your port charges.

BTW, why not try it. Let your room go "unfixed" for a week, and let us know how it added or detracted from your experience.

I look on Robby's post as a genuine inquiry. I think most of us will do what we want to do, regardless of what others think.

While most people enjoy the feeling of "pampering" they get from the housekeeping staff, apparently there are a good number who don't. I'm on a mailing list for fans of a very popular vacation destination (it shall remain nameless, but it involves a mouse), and there was a thread there involving people who don't like housekeeping to come in their room (maily for security reasons).

I've never heard of anyone requesting that housekeeping on a cruise not "service" their room, but I would think they should be able to honor this request. However, I can think of two reasons why they wouldn't: (1) cleaning the rooms daily makes it easier to clean the rooms between debarking and embarking of new passengers; and (2) the trash cans are so small in the rooms that often we would fill it really needed to be emptied twice a day. There may be some kind of regulations involving hygeine that may involve cleaning of the rooms.

Besides, the stewards clean other areas than just rooms, and since tips are such a large part of their pay (for all practical purposes, it is their pay), I think you should still tip them even if you were able to get a "no housekeeping" cabin.

LOL trolling?....i assure you, my post is dead serious and not created for the giggles.....well, maybe a lil :).........why is it so hard to believe that someone seriously wouldnt want to use their steward????.....what do they do that is sooo invaluable?....cause ive yet to see it.....big deal, they make my bed and clean the bathroom...i think i can live without that for 7 days.....why is that so hard to believe?.....ill agree that it borders heavily on the TACKY side....but tactfullness isnt my strong suit! as we all know!

I don't know, but maybe the room steward would LIKE the break of cleaning one less cabin?? I mean, it beats having him clean the cabin all week and then STIFFING him like some people do. At least Robby is upfront about it.

I get your point Robby, you want to know if this has ever even been done. You're trying to be economical, save some dough, etc... I just think for the lousy $50 you might actually find that you prefer the cabin tidy. Those little bitty cabins can get quite messy after one week. Just think of room service dishes, glasses from drinks carried in, wet towels, and you'd better hope you don't have some kind of messy accident in there. I have a feeling that if you told they guy you didn't need him then changed your mind you'd be SOL.

It's only 50 freaking dollars, you can make that up anywhere, and a clean cabin really can add to your vacation experience.

TJ....points well made!.....but really....tipping them for NOT performing services for me?.....i dunno what job field you're in, but from where im from we DONT get paid for work we dont do.....seems kinda FAIR that way!....im old school like that...........PETE....i cant believe u called my topic DULL lol....cmon now, u gotta admit its got some life to it lol......and its not entirely about saving money!...its about spending WISELY.....and that means spending it where you'll get the most out of it.....im not goin out spending money on a pedicure because i dont care if my toes are ugly!....same as if i dont care if my room is kept clean why would i wanna pay for someone to come clean it..........im still asking if having a room steward is considered MANDATORY or not.....?.......and i cruise mostly for the ports, so thats one corner i cant cut....but not a bad idea!:)

Nah, they do more than make the bed and leave towels, silly!

They make the bed, leave towels, TAKE the dirty ones, vacuum, remove room service dishes, stock your ice bucket, clean your windows, windex the mirrors, clean the sand out of your shower, replace toilet paper, empty garbage, etc...

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to come back to a cabin that hadn't been cleaned for a WEEK. Ick.

I'd like to add that I don't think we're allowed to use the "T" word. I think that sets off bells and whistles at CC's HQ :D. I think you can say "vertically challenged bridge dwellers" though.

Robby - When you take a landlubber vacation say for a week, do you tell the housekeeping staff that you don't want their services as well?

Ok Rob let's say you decide you do not want the stewart to "tidy-up" for you all week. Or decorate your cabin with a towel animal. Which just for the record I have a picture of everyone made for me on the last 7 cruises I took on CarnivaL in the past three years. My vote the monkey is my favorite. Don't you think a thank-you for cleaning what might become a VERY MESSY cabin when you leave is worth a tip? If not I would appreciate you advising this board of all you future sailings and cabin numbers so that we may avoid them. Polly XOXOXO

Archived