id like to ditch my cabin steward

robbyxoxo

Have you thought, if you asked for no steward for the week, that they may require you to wipe everything down at least once or twice a day. This would be required to make sure the salt air does not ruin any wood in the cabin.

Good point. I forgot that if you have a balcony cabin, the stewards also clean the balconies daily, including removing any salt spray. As anyone with a boat can tell you, the longer you wait to remove salt, the harder it is to remove.

LMAO...some REALLY funny responses!:).....all appreciated and taken in fun:)......DANZZIGG.....Exactly!...im just lookin at it in the most simplistic way when kickin around the idea...CARNIVALJUKNKIE...that would be funny to see how the steward would react to the sign up all week:).....PIRATEOVER.....i still dont see it as me cheating anyone outa anything....how am i cheating him if hes not done any work for me?.....i dont expect someone to pay me for mowing their lawn over the winter when it doesnt need cut.....this seems common sense to me......and i AM a shady character! lol..that much is well known........and speaking of taxes...wayyy off topic.....im extremely ticked off today because we have a school levy up for vote today here in my district.....if it passes my property taxes go up 300 a year....and this money is directed towards paying for the extracurricular activities of the students.......so me having NO kids, im being forced to pay for OTHER peoples kids to be able to play football and cheerlead..........ya thats a realllll worthy cause......this is the kinda BS that makes me so cranky.......:).......nite nite....im done for day

so if i had any guts about me, on my next cruise id tell the room steward that id not be needing his/her services for the week.........i probably wont just cause my wife wouldnt let me:).....if it was just ME deciding, i truly think i would........and YES this all boils down to being a cheap aszz and saving $50....

Buy an old used houseboat.......you can stock a cooler with Bologna and have your wife make sandwiches to serve with your Black Label or Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Or course you'll buy Quarts by the case.:(

so if i had any guts about me, on my next cruise id tell the room steward that id not be needing his/her services for the week.........i probably wont just cause my wife wouldnt let me.....if it was just ME deciding, i truly think i would........and YES this all boils down to being a cheap aszz and saving $50....
:eek:

I wonder exactly what an angry underpaid, now insulted cabin steward would do with your toothbrush? It won't taste any different if dipped in the toilet. Your hair brush won't appear any different if it wiped a crack or two. You are aweful brave in my opinion. Do you think that the stewards know the chefs? There is a scary thought.

What is that funky smell lingering from under the bed hun? :D

Buy an old used houseboat.......you can stock a cooler with Bologna and have your wife make sandwiches to serve with your Black Label or Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Or course you'll buy Quarts by the case.:(

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I saw that post...that and the one about getting a pontoon. I know this type of guy, I meet many like him at work. They are the ones who want to order trays from the cafeteria for free, free drinking mugs for the entire family (for free)...all while their loved one is laying in bed with one foot on the grave, the other on a banana peel. The classlessness of some people totally baffles me, and makes me more appreciative for my mother teaching me the lost art of manners. :D

That being said...its usually the ones who whine the most about tipping, are the ones who have never cruised before. It is all part of the cruising experience, and that is sort of an understood thing in the cruising community. Sure, we can all live without towel animals and our beds made everyday...but that is not the point. Its one of those nice things you get with your cruise. Sort of like when a nurse rubs your back when you are sick in the hospital. While it's not going to cure you, it sure is nice to have those little extras.

I agree with the other posters. Robby...I think you should look into getting a houseboat or a pontoon. Better yet...go to Branson. That might be more your speed anyway. You won't have to worry about a cabin steward AND you can go see that Japanese guy play the fiddle.

I never thought I would say this, but I am going to anyway: (excuse me while I put this flame suit on) while cruising has gotten cheaper so more people can afford to go on a cruise, there are some people out there who have no business setting foot on a cruise ship.

From our guidelines:

Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Robby did what he wanted to do....got everyone stirred up. Bottom line he'll have his room steward and tip accordingly because "mama" wants it. And as everyone knows, if mama isn't happy, no one is happy.

Thanks for the tongue in cheek grins Robby and enjoy your clean room.:)

LOL trolling?....i assure you, my post is dead serious and not created for the giggles.....well, maybe a lil :).........why is it so hard to believe that someone seriously wouldnt want to use their steward????.....what do they do that is sooo invaluable?....cause ive yet to see it.....big deal, they make my bed and clean the bathroom...i think i can live without that for 7 days.....why is that so hard to believe?.....ill agree that it borders heavily on the TACKY side....but tactfullness isnt my strong suit! as we all know!

Maybe, just maybe, the cabin steward won't relish the thought of cleaning a bathroom that hasn't been touched for 7 days.....he still has to clean it after you leave.....who's gonna tip for that???????

LOL Cathy.....you are sooo right!:).....i threw the idea at mama last night....and mama was APPALLED that i could even come up with such a lame idea lol.......so all that creative thinking down the drain!..........i guess the point i was trying to make was that unlike most cruisers, I really dont find having a steward to be such a great luxury...my room would stay pretty clean with or without the steward....i enjoy roughing it vacations as much or more than luxury ones......id rather be vacationing in a dirt floor shack in Roatan on the beach, as opposed to being pampered in a vegas 5 star resort......but as far as the pontoon boat goes, i think my first cruise ever on the Dolphin 4 was pretty darn close to a pontoon sailing.....................lets remember there are all levels of cheapness and tightwaddddedness....and for varying reasons....i can guarantee you that there are LOTS of millionaires out there that watch where each and every penny of their money goes......the average self made millionaire spends an avg of only like $150 on the suits and watches they be wearing..so they know all about being frugal ....my point being, is that just because you show signs of being stingy with your $ doesnt mean that your some kinda mannerless boob............I enjoy many of the luxury features on cruises...having a room steward just isnt one of them......and IF having a room steward was OPTIONAL, i would certainly decline their services.....much the same as how they have optional dining at an extra fee on some of the newer ships.....I decline using that dining because i dont find the value in paying an extra $60 for dinner......being SMART with your money is all about finding the best value for your dollar.....it means not spending $1000 for something that is only worth $800......it means not spending money on items that are of no use or value to you....being SMART with your money means youre retired and cruising at age 50 as opposed to being a big spender and still poor and working at 65:)............so if having a steward is mandatory i guess ill be a good boyscout and pay the dude to clean my already clean room:)........this topic was FUN!:)

I knew you would never post this over on Celebrity, they would ban you from the line!

No, but I might post this over there to get their take?

About 15 yrs ago, my 13 yr old and I did a river rafting trip on the Colorado for a week- what a trip!

It was beautuful and the canyon is awesome. And on some of the rapids, I thought I was going to die lol.

The company that ran these trips had river guides, 2 on each pontoon boat- young guys, college age.

And YES you tipped them at the end of the trip!

So when I saw the post about the pontoon boats I really laughed, cause you tip on those too! :)

My son loved the trip!

Oh....Robby.....Are you not going to post this on the Celebrity board?
I'd sell tickets and popcorn for that! :eek: Maybe even advance promo it on PVR! :p

LOL...they for sure would eat me alive over there for this one.......but for real, ill blend in just fine once on the cruise....im sure yall prolly realize that im not so bad in person as i portray myself here :).....unlike our carnival cruises, we will be forced to socialize on our Celebrity cruise......14 days on a small ship, makes it hard to avoid eventually making people contact:).....but it will be full of seniors and i Love seniors!......seniors are generally frugal freddies and so we will have that in common lol..........and i keep repeating it here but no one listens, I DONT HATE CARNIVAL!:).....and i dont hate Carnival passengers.....weve actually always had tablemates that we enjoyed and had a good time with.......but the fact still remains that a large part of the carnival crowd is made up of the kind of people that i generally wouldnt hang with back home......thats as much a knock against myself as it is against them:)....so no biggie........LIVTOJUMP, heres a scary factoid ~~~~~> you and i share the same Birthday:)....Two Leos butting heads ....ha.....peace

I never thought I would say this, but I am going to anyway: (excuse me while I put this flame suit on) while cruising has gotten cheaper so more people can afford to go on a cruise, there are some people out there who have no business setting foot on a cruise ship.

I agree. At the top of that list of people would be those who are overly judgemental and portray a superior, arrogant attitude towards others.

I agree. At the top of that list of people would be those who are overly judgemental and portray a superior, arrogant attitude towards others.

Oh Relax folks.

Robby is just as harmless as everyone else on this board.....different, yeah..but harmless nontheless. I find him very amusing.

Robby, I have to tell you that the image I conjure every time you post, is of that little boy, Stillwell in the movie, 'A league of Their Own.'...annoying at times, but harmless. :D

Has anyone watched those shows about what employees really do? Haven't you seen them do something to your food, just well because they are nasty people and the grand thing about it is that you will NEVER know.

Maybe I am cynical, but why do you think that the cabin steward does not steal or doesn't do something inappropriate (such as putting your toothbrush in the toilet) just cause they can and no one will ever know...and you probably tipped this person.

I have no problem paying someone for service well done, but I can't guarantee that I am going to use my cabin steward - it isn't about my room being messy or the bathroom being nasty it is about my personal privacy and yes I will keep my room clean, because that is my preference. And for the record on several posts are things to bring - Lysol and anti-bacterial hand lotion - if the staff is doing such a great job, there should never be a need for this! You can not tell me that they don't have time to go through your stuff, if they have time to bring you ice, more towels, fresh sheets when you call then they have time to look through your underwear.

You all keep saying that this is tasteless and/or nasty - I am sorry to tell you that you don't have to be tasteless to want to keep your stuff yours. I have a high level or pride, take care of my home very well, I would most likely never go to Branson and yes I do shop at Wal-mart and love the bargains I get.

I agree with Robby, you work too hard for your money why waste it on the service you don't want? Is it my fault they took a job making $1.25/day - no it isn't - they could be working for Robby mowing lawns and at least making minimum wage. Someone posted that they sometimes make $4000 a month - so I have no pity on them.

BTW-I just called Carnival and they stated "just go to the pursers desk and ask that a cabin steward not be sent to your room, this will not be a problem"

I will most likely change my mind - use his/her services and tip according to the service provided and see if the pampering is to my style and at that point I will know whether or not I want to use their services again, but don't get mad just because someone asked a ligitimate question and please don't make assumptions about what kind of person they are.

For the record I am a wife - so this isn't just men who ask.

I appreciate everyone opinions and fact that this thread is worth a good laugh or too!

Archived