Shall We Dance? QM2 Queens Room Questions……..

Percentages

How large is the dance floor?

How full does the dance floor get?

Are most dances slow Waltzes, slow Foxtrots, occasional Rumbas due to the popularity/space limitations of any ship?

I’ve read that the Queens room is used for other non-dance functions. How many dance sessions per day are there?

Does anyone know of a link to a video of dancing in the Queens room? Photo’s/Video can often speak a thousand words :)

I’ve read that the QM2 has professional dance instructors who provide dance classes…..does anyone have any additional info on this?

Frequency? Level of instruction (beginner/intermediate/advanced)?

From Pepper’s review I learnt that the room is large, and that some “fancy footwork” happens……..but, apart from that the Queen’s room is a mystery to us, and a place we will most likely will wish to frequent.

TIA for any info you might have.

How large is the dance floor?

66 by 44 food, the largest on any ship

How full does the dance floor get?

In quite times there can be only a few couples, on special theme nights it can get very crowded after second seating.

Are most dances slow Waltzes, slow Foxtrots, occasional Rumbas due to the popularity/space limitations of any ship?

The band plays also Tango, Cha-Cha-Cha and more.

I’ve read that the Queens room is used for other non-dance functions. How many dance sessions per day are there?

Every day there was at least one session from 9:45 pm to Midnight. (Sometimes 15 minutes later.) On some days there was an additional session from 7:45 to 8:30.

I’ve read that the QM2 has professional dance instructors who provide dance classes…..does anyone have any additional info on this?

Frequency? Level of instruction (beginner/intermediate/advanced)?

Normally once a day. The level of the free lessons is very beginner. There is the option to take private lessons.

Here are a couple pf views to give you an idea.

The first is during the pirate party on our Panama trip last year.

I am sure the dance floor is more crowded during special functions such as the Ascot Ball, the Black and White and the Pirate ball. I'm guessing especially something like the pirate party where everyone wants to see passenger's costumes. (and see who won the competition)

The second shot will show part of the dance floor (and a gent with a great British pirate costume!)

The third, while a rather poor picture, can give an idea of the size of the dance floor. People are seated in tables around the edges. This is the dance instructors, who also do a demonstration dance every evening. They are champion competitive dancers. The lighting is poor (sorry, I'm not the photographer in the family!) but figuring the compass rose as the center of the dance floor, you can see how far it is to the edges.

I wish I could figure out how to upload (if it is even possible to do so due to copyright) a piece of the voyage video, which we purchased (and which we made it into, due to our pirate costumes!) But I have an ancient computer and I even have trouble playing it, much less trying to upload it!

Karie,

who hopes this helps!

P1100017.jpg.c125a7fe2b6350312e338a4053b30a50.jpg

P1100020.jpg.f577ff23749ea9930fbc3a0ed1ce900f.jpg

P1100023.jpg.93c27280a1b0cc2818024adad207fc34.jpg

IMHO, while the dance floor is a little larger on the QM2 compared to the QE2, the number of seats in the Queens room is much greater. Also considering the increased capacity of the QM2, for all things to be equal, the dance floor would have to be 65% larger on the QM2 than the QE2, which it's not.

If there is a function in the QM2 Queens room, the dance floor quickly fills up. The ensuing congestion would be less if the dancers would circle the floor (anticlockwise) rather than stay in one place. This would allow for more couples on the dance floor as well as a more enjoyable experience.;)

Archived