actually going to GSC

utopia2064

Hi folks,

I've heard that many times Great Stirrup Cay is skipped because the seas are too high to tender. About how often does this happen? I'm going on a mid-May cruise on the Spirit, any idea of what percent chance I have of making it on the island?

That would be up to Mother Nature.:) But mid-May is at least technically before hurricane season, so I guess you have that going for you. If they can get you there they will. It's NCL's private island so you are their 'willing hostage' so to speak for the day. Hope you make it!:D

We're scheduled to go to GSC also, at the end of May. I think there's a good chance of getting there because of the time of the year we're sailing. I'd say we have a better chance than people going in say...August or something.

After three cruises where we missed GSC, I thought it was a non-existant entity. Finally on our 2/8/2007 Dawn trip I experienced it. It's great, but the food was nul. The walk out to the lighthouse is worthwhile.

We sail on April 15th. Anyone want to venture a guess as to how it may be. I do realize that weather will do what weather wants to.... but I am wondering what happens in that case. DO you stay in Nassau, or stay at sea extra time? We really want to snorkle, but were going to save it for the island... is that a bad idea????

Arrrrrghhhhh helpppppppppp

We sail on April 15th. Anyone want to venture a guess as to how it may be. I do realize that weather will do what weather wants to.... but I am wondering what happens in that case. DO you stay in Nassau, or stay at sea extra time? We really want to snorkle, but were going to save it for the island... is that a bad idea????

Arrrrrghhhhh helpppppppppp

You won't stay in Nassau, the ship will leave and head to their island, sometimes won't know until they get there how sea conditions will be. I was cruising once where things seemed to be fine but we got there and the water was too rough for the tenders. We could see the island, just couldn't get to it safely.:( The snorkeling there was good though and right off the beach. The fish are very aggresive if you feed them :eek: , my husband found this out. Good luck and hope you make it!

We went there yesterday. The sea was a bit choppy and the tender was bouncing all over the place. You probably wouldn't want to get on one if the sea was much rougher. If you get to go, try to get on the first tender - all the comfy lounge chairs were gone by the time the 2nd tender came over. Since it was windy, the parasailing was cancelled and no rafts or tubes were rented out.

Not much swimming there the week of 3/11-18....chilly and windy and choppy seas. Only two tenders working ...and they come from the Bahamas ...not the shipboard tenders....

I have been there before when it was calm and warm and pretty. Too bad. No rafts, no snorkeling. Just too cold and choppy.

I can't remember what time of year we were there before...but I think it too was a Spring Break trip.

Great Stirrup Cay? What's that?? I often wonder if it really exists...:cool:

I think there is only one "Cay" and they just keep changing the signs for each ship...

GSC DOES exist. Beautiful. One of the best "ports" I've been to- but you have to walk to the right, AWAY from all the people trying to feed fish leftover danish.

Archived