Pre-arrange visa for Turkey on Norwegian Jewel?

oh2ride

Hello. We are leaving on the Norwegian Jewel from Athens to Istanbul on May 7th. From NCL's webiste, it advises that "a visa is required for guests travelling to Turkey. On cruises that end in Turkey, the Clearance Officer can arrange visas for guests on board with the cost being applied to on board accounts accordingly."

Can anyone tell me whether they've experienced any problems with getting their visa on board - ie any delays or exorbitant costs? If I get my visa myself ahead of time, I have to mail my passport to the Turkish consulate, and I would rather not take that chance with my passport.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am a Canadian citizen. Thanks!:)

for some reason they are really expensive for Canadians...

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/BorderFormalities/index.html

I know for US Citizens they are easily available and $20 US not $60 US as they are for our friends from the North...don't know why...

It just a stamp and they don't require anything at the Port of Entry to get it just pay your money and they add a passprt stamp. To get them before hand requires the mailing of your passport, passort pictures and more money.

2081434888_turkishvisa-1.jpg.34ea2d9db967b67ba37fd133054afd01.jpg

we got ours on the ship and it was very easy. my partner is mexican and he had no problem either. it's just a matter of you going through the steps or yes maybe pay a little extra and have it done on the ship. i'm with you i would not want to send it in the mail. if you do though, send it certified and request a signature, or send it FedEx.

Hello oh2ride,

"can anyone tell me whether they've experienced any problems with getting their visa on board - ie any delays or exorbitant costs? If I get my visa myself ahead of time, I have to mail my passport to the Turkish consulate, and I would rather not take that chance with my passport."

We are on the same cruise and a visa is required for Egypt as well as Turkey. We are from BC and have the same problem as you (but you are much closer to Ottawa) ... sending passport away etc ... It took several phone calls but I finally made connection with a represtnative at NCL who was extremely helpful. She advised that she was not "supposed to deal with these issues" (I had several) .. We are to deal with our travel agent ... what a joke. I am sure most travel agents are good, but this outfit :mad: ... enough said. The NCL rep made enquiies for me. Yes you can obtain the Turkey visa on board ship:) , but the Egypt visa must be purchased at the dock in Alexandria. It is a good thing we are there for two days, because I can picture a lineup of Canadians:rolleyes: (in the states they can obtain the visa same day if needed:cool: . If you book an early morning tour, this could be a problem. If I had you email address, I would be happy to pass the name of the NCL rep to you. She was very helpful and I do not want to put her name out if she indeed was out of line handling the TA's problem

Jack(KKPMI)

Archived