What Hilo excursion?

sk84fungirl

We are cruising on the 5/13 Pride of Aloha voyage. I am excited, as always for any trip!

Well, we have two days in Kauai on the front end, and two days in Maui on the back as part of the cruise itinerary. We will have cars in each of these ports. Have decided to skip excursions in Kona and decide what to do when we get there. Based on research, we will take a NCL excursion in Hilo.

The two (2) that we have narrowed down to are:

Volcanoes National Park: includes Fire pit, Kilauea Crater, Observatory, Jaggar Museum, Thurston Lava tube, and the Mauna Loa Mac Nut Factory

Nani Mau Gardens & Akaka Falls: includes Banyan Drive, Akaka Falls, Mauna Kea Volcano, Nani Mau Botanical Gardens, and Big Island Candies

I have booed VNP because I understand that it is the most popular. However, I will be satisfied with seeing the lava from the ship. Strongly considering changing to the second.

Any experiences with either?

Thanks. :)

You know, with a car, you could do all three main sites. We did VNP, Akaka Falls and The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden.

It's really a matter of taste. I was rather disappointed with VNP because all we saw was hardened, black lava and steam vents -- I wanted the flowing lava! Thurston Lava Tube was cool, but it's essentially just a walk through a cave.

Akaka Falls is pretty amazing -- a lovely bit of jungle in the midst of a field. It's a mile-long walk on the trail to get to it and back -- not bad at all, but there are stairs going down to the trail, if that's an issue (same with Thurston Lava Tube).

We went to a different garden but the Nani Mau sounds nice also. I bet that most on this forum will tell you that VNP should be your destination because you can see gardens and waterfalls on the other islands, but standing on the crater of a live volcano is a rare occurence. There's truth in that. I don't regret going to VNP -- it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

Two years ago, on the NCL Wind, the lava was barely visible -- just small red dots coming down the mountain. VNP has a beauty unto itself, and the film presentation at the visitors center was very good!

I have to disagree with PDAZ about VNP. We stayed at Volcano House for 4 nights in 2005 and felt like we still didn't see everything at VNP. There is quite a bit to see and do, IMO. The various calderas and craters are fascinating. The Visitor's Center and the museum are both good. There are numerous hikes (from short and easy to long and challenging). The drive down Chain of Craters Rd. is very interesting and somewhat awe inspiring. I do agree that the lava tube was kind of a disappointment, but then again DH and I didn't do the part where you have to get off the lighted area (bring your own flashlight) and do the longer more interesting part.

Certainly, not everyone is going to find VNP as interesting as we did. It's a matter of personal preference. If you go thinking that there will be flowing lava that you can just easily walk or drive to up at the top of the crater, then you will be disappointed--unless Madam Pele decides that she wants to erupt up there again, which she has not done in a long time. To us it was much more than simply hardened lava and steam vents.

Sure, everyone wants to see the flowing lava, and to do that you have to schedule enough time to drive down Chain of Craters Rd. (from Crater Rim Dr.) to the literal end of the road. You need to check lava conditions (Volcano House has updates all the time) and check with the rangers. Sometimes, it's many miles of hiking over difficult lava terrain to get to the flows; sometimes areas are off limits for safety reasons (such as lava benches/shelves that collapse at any time); sometimes the flow is closer and the hike out isn't that big a deal; sometimes Madam Pele doesn't choose to show you any flowing lava at all. There are absolutely no guarantees that you will see flowing lava, but you can always check it out.

If you choose to do the lava flow hike, you must (absolutely must) wear long pants and sturdy hiking/walking shoes, bring plenty of water and some energy bars, wear a hat and sunscreen (bring extra), and bring a flashlight because people do sometimes get lost out there. If you have balance problems, you will need to reconsider or at least bring a good walking stick. The lava is not smooth or easy. (DH and I decided we would not be able to do it at this point in our lives. A disappointment, surely, but better that than off to the hospital with a broken whatever.)

Seeing the lava flow from the ship (from a distance because, for safety reasons, the ship can't get as close as you might think) is nothing like experiencing VNP up close and personal. Plus, as noted, the amount of visible flow changes constantly. There might be several outbreaks and major ocean entries (as there were on our December PoH cruise) or you might have tiny little dots that don't look like all that much. There's no way to know.

If VNP isn't of interest to you, then of course you should do something that is. But if you're thinking you'll get the whole "experience" by seeing a nighttime lava flow from a ship out in the ocean, you won't.

You might want to go to the National Park website and check out the pix and list of various activities and sites at VNP. That might help make your choice easier. And I absolutely agree with PDAZ about renting a car and going off on your own for the day. You'll be on your own schedule and get to do what you want to do.

beachchick

If you decide against both tours, there is a public bus at the port that does a nice 1 1/2 hour tour for $1. It does a loop around Hilo - including the chocolate factory, the macadamia nut factory, and the beaches.

And a recommendation for Kona...go to the seahorse farm if you get a chance. This was one of the coolest things I've ever done. You get to put your hands in the tubs and let the seahorses wrap their tails around your fingers.

And a recommendation for Kona...go to the seahorse farm if you get a chance. This was one of the coolest things I've ever done. You get to put your hands in the tubs and let the seahorses wrap their tails around your fingers.

Aw man, no one told me about the seahorse farm -- that is so me! Wish I had known! Were is it located, for future reference?

If you decide against both tours, there is a public bus at the port that does a nice 1 1/2 hour tour for $1. It does a loop around Hilo - including the chocolate factory, the macadamia nut factory, and the beaches.

This sounds like a plan. I will be driving at the beginning and end of my trip. Want to relax in the middle. Trying not to rent a car in Kauai, Kona, or Hilo. LIkely will for a day in Kauai though. We'll see.

On the bus tour, can you get off and on at will?

On the bus tour, can you get off and on at will?

It stops for 15 minutes at both the chocolate factory and the macadamia nut factory. Before it heads toward the beach, it will drop you off at a mall with a Hilo Hattie's in the parking lot and a Wal-Mart across the street so you can catch one of their free shuttles back to the ship. For those that stay on the bus, it takes you to the beaches for a photo opportunity.

They typically only run the "tour" in the morning. I think it's the #22 bus - but whoever greets you in the ship's terminal can point you towards it. That's how we found it - a gray-haired lady in a muumuu asked us if we had any plans. She then told us about the bus. There's more detail about it out in my postings from the "Live - Jan 26 - Feb 10" thread under the Island Princess roll call. My understanding is that it does a different route in the afternoon - and maybe only 1 run of that "tour" (?).

These routes are different than their regular city bus routes so if you get off at one of the stops and don't get back on, you may have to find your way back to the ship on your own. There's no guarantee that another bus is coming along the route. The stops at the choc & mac factories are scheduled with enough time to look around a bit though.

The city is very careful to not advertise these as "tours". The bus drivers provide their own mic & sound system. We had a lot of excellent narration on our "tour". :)

It was definitely the best $1 I spent in Hawaii!

Aw man, no one told me about the seahorse farm -- that is so me! Wish I had known! Were is it located, for future reference?

It's out by the airport. Actually, just before you get to the airport. It's called the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm. It was awesome!

Not a huge place. But still very good sized. They first take you inside where there are huge tanks. They tell you about the seahorses and you get to feed them. If you're lucky, you will get to see some babies being born. This is especially a treat for women because the men birth the babies in the seahorse world! ;) Then they take you to the outside tanks. You put your hands/arms - down to your elbows into the tubs and the seahorse wrap around your fingers. Then they have a smaller inside area where they have several brightly colored seahorses. They tell you where they're from, how they get their colors, etc.

Learned a lot and had a great time.

NOTE: If you go to the farm, the first thing you will be asked to do is to wash your arms up past your elbows. So, don't wear suntan lotion - and have short sleeves. Also, the area that you walk on is crushed lava. I found it very comfortable & easy in sneakers. Some who had on flip-flops were not so happy...lava rock can be sharp and not so comfortable on bare feet.

They have a website if you want to go out there and learn more about the farm. There's only 5 in the world, so if you're in Kona, you might want to consider this unique stop.

Kauai has waterfalls and plants. The active volcano that you can visit is unique in the world. The best way to see it is by helicopter. You will fly over where the lava comes out of the ground then follow the route to the ocean. The volcano has been flowing for over 20 years which is quite long compared to prior flows and when it stops it will probably not flow again for 20 years. When Mark Twain lived nearby the Lava House Hotel caldera was quite active but now the active spot is not easily accessible except by air.

A trip to the visitor center is worth the admission. Hawaii has 3 parks that charge adnission and this is one.

Before it heads toward the beach, it will drop you off at a mall with a Hilo Hattie's in the parking lot and a Wal-Mart across the street so you can catch one of their free shuttles back to the ship. For those that stay on the bus, it takes you to the beaches for a photo opportunity.

This sounds great! If you get off at Hilo Hattie's, will there be a later bus that will take you on to the beach? Also, once at the beach, how do you get back to the pier?

This sounds great! If you get off at Hilo Hattie's, will there be a later bus that will take you on to the beach? Also, once at the beach, how do you get back to the pier?

I'm not sure if there are buses that run to/from the beach on their own from the pier. I looked to see if I still had the schedule that they had at the terminal but I couldn't find it. If I come across it this weekend, I will post what I find.

The shuttle buses from Hilo Hatties and Wal-Mart back to the ship are free. They will pick you up at the ship as well. We got dropped off at the mall. Went to a couple places in the mall, walked across the parking lot to Hilo Hatties, and then across the street to Wal-Mart before catching the Wal-Mart shuttle back to the ship.

I didn't mention it but the $1 bus also takes you through the Japanese Garden and past "the pond". It was a really nice ride.

I am very interested in going to the seahorse farm. Did you take a ship tour? I am curious about whether there is a bus that goes there or if we can get there via taxi? How far is it from the pier?

I am very interested in going to the seahorse farm. Did you take a ship tour? I am curious about whether there is a bus that goes there or if we can get there via taxi? How far is it from the pier?

Yes - we took a ship's tour because we were in Kona on a Sunday. The seahorse farm is closed to the public on Sundays but they do run one ship's tour. We were lucky we booked it before leaving as when the bus was full, that was it.

It is about a 20 minute drive from the pier. My guess is that there isn't a bus that goes there as the whole area is a research/conservation area. There are several scientific centers in the same area - dealing with ocean water desalinization, water power, the seahorses, etc. It's kinda surreal. You see this field of black lava rocks with white buildings, water retention containers, etc.

If you are interested in visiting and there isn't a trip offered from the ship, I'd call the farm and ask for their recommendation. If they know you are coming, they may help arrange transportation. Not sure - but I'd ask. I wouldn't think it would be that expensive of a cab ride, but you should contact them just to be sure that you can visit on the day/time you will be in port.

It was a really neat experience. It's worth a call over there to plan a visit.

Be sure to report back about your trip!

Archived