Drinking Policy?

michellebelle

We are sailing the Valor in a large group this summer. Several of the teenagers going are 19/20 and wondering about Carnival's alcohol policy. We sailed Carnival about 3 years ago and some 16 year olds had absolutely no problem getting served. I understand that this has (rightfully) changed. I was wondering were it stood now, especially in light of RCI's recent crackdown.

Now, please do not reply to this by saying that drinking is illegal in the US under 21 and so on, these are very responsible young adults and would simply like to enjoy the occasional cocktail while lounging in the sun. After all, drinking is legal at all of the ports of call =)

Thanks!

ETA: And they don't plan on "double-crossing" Carnival's policy either - the rules are there for a reason! We just wanted to hear from other cruisers!

Carnival's policy is you must be 21 to drink on board. Anyone under 21 has a special 'flag' on their S&S card to tell bartenders they aren't old enough to buy a drink. I'm sure older teens can get others over 21 to buy for them, but if someone is underage and drunk and causing too much trouble, Canival's policy says they can ask them to leave the ship and that includes their whole family.

We are sailing the Valor in a large group this summer. Several of the teenagers going are 19/20 and wondering about Carnival's alcohol policy. We sailed Carnival about 3 years ago and some 16 year olds had absolutely no problem getting served. I understand that this has (rightfully) changed. I was wondering were it stood now, especially in light of RCI's recent crackdown.

Now, please do not reply to this by saying that drinking is illegal in the US under 21 and so on, these are very responsible young adults and would simply like to enjoy the occasional cocktail while lounging in the sun. After all, drinking is legal at all of the ports of call =)

Thanks!

They will not be allowed to order drinks onboard at all.. in ports they can if their age is legal..;)

It really isn't a question of legal or illegal, it's just a question of Carnival's policy, which cathyz has stated. The 19 or 20 year olds won't have any problems getting served in the ports, as *most* islands have a drinking age of 18 or 19. Personally, I don't drink very much, but Carnival's virgin smoothies are really good. You can get all the frozen drinks made without alcohol, including the Drink of the Day.

As everyone else has stated, the policy is 21, they are cracking down, i have seen families kicked off the ship and left in the nearest port, for their underage kids being caught drinking on the ship.

Just let them know, to hold off while they are on the ship and they will be able to drink all they want in any of the ports.

Archived