Seasickness and taking kids on cruises...

CKEA_Cruising_Family

Here I am worrying about the what-ifs. I have no reason to believe that either of my kids are prone to motion sickness however I was very prone as a child so it scares me. Has anyone ever had a bad cruise vacation due to kids getting sea-sick? Also, I'm considering both a Miami vs NY deparature next March (specifically NCL Dawn vs Gem if anyone can comment on those choices). Will we run into rougher seas with the East Coast departure?

Hi! My DS has some motion sickness issues. He once was sea sick on a whale watching excursion off of Cape Cod - and if you had asked me, I would have said the water was like glass. So, I was concerned about cruising.

I have only given him Bonine (the "for kids" version) once. The evening before arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the boat was really starting to rock after dinner. I took the kids to Camp and called the Purser's office. They had just received a fax from the captain advising it was likely going to be a rough night. I gave DS Bonine before bed (I had Oked this with his pediatrician before leaving). He was fine. Slept normally through the night, and when we woke up, we were docked.

I used Bonine one other time, in combination with the sea bands (not sure if they work or not, but I told DS they did, hoping the power of suggestion would go to work!) We were taking a snorkeling excursion in Barbados, and I could tell before we ever left the ship it was really choppy (not from the motion of the ship, but just looking at the water in the harbor.) So, after breakfast, I gave him the Bonine and put the sea bands on. Let me tell you, by the end of the excursion, many, many adults had been very ill, and he was not. He didn't feel great, but he didn't get sick either.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

My 12 year old got sick after whale watching the day before our cruise. I started her on Bonine, and she felt a little queasy once on the cruise, but for the most part, had no problems . I kept her on Bonine for 3 days after just to be safe.

My 4 year old got land sick after the whale watching as soon as he went to bed that evening. He had no problems on the cruise, but got land sick after the cruise as well, same situation, as soon as he went to bed. By the next morning he was fine both times.

My 7 year old had no problems at all.

So, it's impossible to predict, just verify their dosages and keep the meds handy :)

My girl was 8 on her last cruise. She has never suffered from motion sickness on any of the six cruises she's been on. Definitely takes after her father.

Check with your kids' pediatrician as to the recommended remedies and pack a couple of them, just in case.

I have to say that ANYONE on a smaller boat like the glass bottom boat tours can get sea sick. The reason is that you have to stand on the boat. If you sit (like on a tender boat) then usually you don't get sick. But standing is a different story.

So if you are unsure...don't book any excursions that would have the child standing on a SMALL boat.

Now, as far as the ship itself is concerned. I, personally get motion sickness but I rarely get it on board a cruise ship because the stabilizers are so good. My kids have never experienced any sea sickness on any of the cruises.

You are right, the cruises out of New York and other East Coast ports are suppose to be crossing rougher seas and they rock a little more than the others departing Florida.

Do your children get sick on amusement park rides or riding in the car? If the answer is no, then I bet they will be perfectly fine. There is a child's formula of dramamine if you want to bring some just in case.

Were going on our first cruise this summer and I'm concerned about my 8 year old daughter getting seasick. She gets carsick when we drive on windy roads. Anyone with recommendations on wheter I should start her on seasickness meds the day before the cruise or just wait and see?

DD gets car sick and sick on planes as well and she's gotten sea sick on every cruise (except the first one when she was only 21 months old). She takes after her father! He needs meds the second we step on the ship (LOL)--I've been boating since I was a small child and never get sea sick, but make sure I have meds for him and DD.

For DD, we take Bonine in case it gets bad, but the sea bands work great! I generally put them on her before sail away and she wears them for the first few days and is fine. She likes the bands much more than taking the medication. I always have the meds for her because she does need those in addition to the bands if it's really rough (like when we came out of the Inside Passage into Prince William Sound or around Baja).

Just be prepared and the kids will be fine. If you're concerned they'll get sick, get them the wrist bands--they really do work! But, be sure to have some meds in case you end up rocking and rolling. ;)

Cheers!

Jayne

Archived