shorts in the dining room

The dress code is interestingly lax. We did not attend formal night because DH just didn't want to pack and wear suit, so we ate in the Windjammer that night. The next morning, we saw our headwaiter at breakfast, who asked why we weren't there. When I explained, he said, "You could come any way you want. We'd rather have you there no matter how you're dressed." Interesting.

They will tell you anything to get your "gratuity"

A couple of nights on the Mariner 3/11 cruise, we had the kids where a nice length bermuda type short with nice sandals to boot - neither I nor Sue considered wearing shorts in the dining room.

We thought nice shorts were ok for the kids but not ok for mom and dad.

Cheers

Jason & Susan

I have my Mariner compass pages scanned in the pictures link in my signature. You can flip through those if you'd like.

Many people (especially on this site) think that jeans aren't allowed. And they may not be ..... but RCI certainly doesn't enforce this rule.

With regard to women wearing Bermuda shorts ..... well sheesh women are allowed to wear mini skirts ..... and that's still allowed!!! :p

Determined to prove you wrong, I went thru my Daily Compasses and found nothing that mentions jeans.

Now who's the wrong one? LOL

Felicia

A couple of nights on the Mariner 3/11 cruise, we had the kids where a nice length bermuda type short with nice sandals to boot - neither I nor Sue considered wearing shorts in the dining room.

We thought nice shorts were ok for the kids but not ok for mom and dad.

Cheers

Jason & Susan

Actually, the rules apply to all. RCI does not discriminate between young and old.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']Actually, the rules apply to all. RCI does not discriminate between young and old.[/quote]

Interesting, regardless no one said anything to us about the kids wearing their shorts in the dining room - they were dress shorts to boot and they looked just as well dressed as any other guest in the dining room.

Regards
jaysue

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Many posters may be confused...PRINCESS has the "no jeans" rule in the dining room:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]"In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times." from their website.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]I can't find, nor have I ever seen, the "no jeans" rule on RCI[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT].

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']They will tell you anything to get your "gratuity"[/quote]

Doesn't really matter what he said, as I wouldn't go to formal night in anything other than formal clothes. I just think it's disrespectful to those who do choose to dress nicely. Apparently, though, there were many there who were not dressed according to the guidelines. Doesn't surprise me, as we've seen that every time we've cruised. I still wouldn't do it, though.

[quote name='TKinAZ']Doesn't really matter what he said, as I wouldn't go to formal night in anything other than formal clothes. I just think it's disrespectful to those who do choose to dress nicely. Apparently, though, there were many there who were not dressed according to the guidelines. Doesn't surprise me, as we've seen that every time we've cruised. I still wouldn't do it, though.[/quote]

I have had waiters on RCI tell me the same thing when I told them that we would be skipping formal night as we did not want to dress in formal for the evening. So part of this can be placed on the waitstaff regardless of their motives. I can see where first time cruisers may be confused as to what is proper and not when a crew member is telling them that it is OK.

[quote name='jaysue']A couple of nights on the Mariner 3/11 cruise, we had the kids where a nice length bermuda type short with nice sandals to boot - neither I nor Sue considered wearing shorts in the dining room.

[b]We thought nice shorts were ok for the kids but not ok for mom and dad.[/b]

Cheers
Jason & Susan[/QUOTE]

[b]We thought nice shorts were ok for the kids but not ok for mom and dad.[/b]
Hmmm....sure sounded like kids were brought up in this post!??!

While the dress suggestions are mentioned with slightly different wording in many places in RCCI's promotional pieces and other documentation, the gist is this:

[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][I]During the day, casual clothes are fine for the main dining room. In the evening, there are three distinct types of dress onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][I]Suggested guidelines for these nights are:[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][I]Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][I]Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][I]Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial]
[SIZE=2][I]Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

A few basic take-aways.
[LIST=1]
[*]Per the guidellines [B]shorts are not permitted at dinner[/B]. It does not differienciate based upon either gender or age.
[*]The terms "slacks" and "pants" figure throughout the suggested attire section. "Jeans" are not slacks (although I have seen slacks made of denim). There are no specific mention of jeans throughout the dress code.[/LIST]The guidelines are "suggested". Also the crew on a ship may or may not choose to enforce the guidelines, but they are the guidelines all the same.

[QUOTE]The terms "slacks" and "pants" figure throughout the suggested attire section. "Jeans" are not slacks (although I have seen slacks made of denim). There are no specific mention of jeans throughout the dress code.
[/QUOTE]
So what are you trying to say?
I agree that "jeans" are not slacks, but according to my Webster's Pocket English Dictionary, Revised Edition...jeans are defined as...trousers or pants, usually made of denim. So I guess they fit the suggested guidelines.

Archived