similar to Tim Hortons ...

What is poutine?

Poutine is a heart-attack on a plate.

French fries, covered in cheese curds and then drenched in brown gravy (beef is best). The hot gravy melts the curds and soaks into the fries to make a gooey mess. The fries have to be big chunky fries, not wimpy McDonalds fries.

http://www.jonno.com/now/poutine_400.jpg

Ooohh... You are so going to get flamed for insulting our national Tim Hortons' coffee :)

I think the poor dear already thinks I flamed her but i was kidding!

Good shot on comparing TO to Zurich!

Food wise we have stolen most of your 5 star chefs!!

Streets..We are re designating 1 way back to 2 way to breathe some life back into those communities. We've yet to resolve the "blasted" no left turn issue!

Yes ..you are and have always been on the cutting edge of fashion.

Fran ...you are right we do have a small superiority complex but where else do you nationally pay the taxes we pay in TO??

And finally I wouldn't from a cholesterol standpoint brag about your "chips and cheese"!!:D:D

French fries, covered in cheese curds and then drenched in brown gravy (beef is best). The hot gravy melts the curds and soaks into the fries to make a gooey mess. The fries have to be big chunky fries, not wimpy McDonalds fries.

McDonald's tries to sell it, but their fries don't work. Burger King's fries don't work either and their sauce tastes of chemicals. Harvey's does a decent job. It's actually not supposed to be "cheese" but Gouda cheese curds though we have seen them use cheddar and mozzarella as well. But traditionally it's Gouda, which in Quebec is also called "Kwee Kwee" cheese because that's the noise it makes when you eat it.

I think the poor dear already thinks I flamed her but i was kidding!

Good shot on comparing TO to Zurich!

Food wise we have stolen most of your 5 star chefs!!

Streets..We are re designating 1 way back to 2 way to breathe some life back into those communities. We've yet to resolve the "blasted" no left turn issue!

Yes ..you are and have always been on the cutting edge of fashion.

Fran ...you are right we do have a small superiority complex but where else do you nationally pay the taxes we pay in TO??

And finally I wouldn't from a cholesterol standpoint brag about your "chips and cheese"!!:D:D

Hey, I'm sorry but maybe she didn't realize that insulting Tim's to Canadians is the same as Canadians insulting American Apple Pie.

Tim's has brought to Canadians all of the following sayings...

"Rrrrrrrroll Up the Rim to Win"

"Double Double"

"Give me back my piture!"

If we had a 5 star chef willing to go, it isn't much of a loss. Anyone in Montreal will tell you that good food isn't about cholesterol.

There are some uniquely Canadian things that many people don't realize. Ever try to order gravy for your chicken at KFC in the US. What restaurant do you go to for barbecue chicken in the US in any case? And let's face it, no one makes onion rings like Harvey's.

http://www.jonno.com/now/poutine_400.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhh Thank you very much :)

We have a lot of places in the U.S. that serve fries with gravy, or you can get them with Chili, or with cheese , buts its more like Cheez Whiz. Best place for fries with gravy is any good old fashioned diner.

But You can't get any of that at McDonalds here.

And you are right, You need the nice thick what we call "Steak Fries" for that.

I live in Connecticut and there are really no good Bar-B-Q chains around here that I know of. The really good ones are the out of the way "Mom and Pop" joints.

Down south in the U.S. you have tons of great B-B-Q.

...buts its more like Cheez Whiz....

Ugh! You know that legally can't be called cheese, legally (it's legally processed cheese food). It originally was a way for Kraft to reuse ends of cheese. Today, it's just an affront to our sensibilities. Cheese was not intended to come in a jar like cold cream and white paste.

There is only two things worse that this... Velveeta and the orange powdered stuff that they put in a tin envelope with macaroni. Quality food demands quality ingredients and the flavours (and scent) should not come from a chemical factory in New Jersey (no insult to NJ intended).

I live in Connecticut and there are really no good Bar-B-Q chains around here that I know of. The really good ones are the out of the way "Mom and Pop" joints.

Not the same. We are talking about rotisserie barbecue chicken. Suisse Chalet, St-Hubert and Scores all serve this type of barbecue chicken. It's cooked on a spit. You have it in the US in some supermarkets (we do too) but it's a different quality and it's the trimmings that make it a meal, like the barbecue sauce and cole slaw.

When I travel to Hilton Head for golf in the spring, I always look for a good BBQ place. They have a place called Sticky Fingers there that is good. The best place I have had was in Richmond, Va. It was called Extra Billy's BBQ.

I love what they call Bar-B-Q (up here, BBQ is the grill, not the food), I have a pulled pork BBQ every summer for the neighbours. They love it.

When I travel to Hilton Head for golf in the spring, I always look for a good BBQ place. They have a place called Sticky Fingers there that is good. The best place I have had was in Richmond, Va. It was called Extra Billy's BBQ.

I love what they call Bar-B-Q (up here, BBQ is the grill, not the food), I have a pulled pork BBQ every summer for the neighbours. They love it.

Same here, a lot of people will say "i'm having a BBQ for the holiday" and its hot dogs and hamburgers and chicken

Real BBQ is the chicken and ribs and pork and brisket MMMMMMMMMM :)

Ugh! the flavours (and scent) should not come from a chemical factory in New Jersey (no insult to NJ intended).

Now you've done it! We're sending Cartman and Kenny across the border for real this time.

You want kawfee? Come on over to a Jersey Wawa

Now you've done it! We're sending Cartman and Kenny across the border for real this time.

You want kawfee? Come on over to a Jersey Wawa

Actually, I was talking about McDonald's and such. The flavours and aromas of their food come from factories in New Jersey. (Read Fast Food Nation, if you want to know more).

Archived